• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Air Particles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davboro

Verified Member
Alright, so I'm sure we were all very happy when Mist found out a way to implement white air particles as opposed to the old black ones that Orion used. However, after coming into contact with multiple airbenders in multiple situations, I've realized that the white particles are actually quite blinding, and can disorient the user and players nearby.

Less Particles
Maybe an improvisation that could be made is lessening the amount of particles that airbending uses? I think this would help to make air less view-obstructing, and be much more logical since you shouldn't be able to see air at all, really.

Black Particles
Another solution would be to make just go back to the old black smoke particles? These particles seemed to take up much less space, and made the moves much less visible than the white particles do. They are bland, and you generally don't imagine air being black, but for practical reasons I think this would be necessary.

New Animation?
The third solution would to to just alter the animation of the air. Instead of giving it long streams of particles behind the initial bending move, just have it set as 1 cluster of air at the head of the gust, or 1 line of air for airswipe, or just the outer area of the dome for airburst. This would actually look a lot nicer, I think, and would stop airbending from looking more like cloudbending. You could even consider this idea with the black particles, if you want to get creative.

Invisible Air (makes sense)
The final and least popular idea would be to remove airbending particles completely. It's the most realistic solution, but in turn it also takes away from the Minecraft feel of blocky particles and cartoon-like animations. This could also prove difficult for airbenders who are not very good at judging where they are placing their air sources, and could lead to many failed airjets and evasions. All in all this idea is the most realistic and logical, but of course it's the hardest to deal with in the long run for the users.

So those are my ideas for making air a bit less blinding. I think it's great that Mist changed the animation to use white particles, as it is what I'd been asking for from the start, but now that it's in the game it just makes air too visible to really be considered airbending.

jedk1

hmm okay so:
1) this could be added as a config option I assume.
2) the config has an option to change the particles so you can have the black ones.
3) the reason particles remain hanging in the air, is because thats how minecraft has them, for the suggestion of new animations, mmost particles work by having a set radius for which they can randomly appear in, much like a mc world seed, they randomly generate within a radius. adding new methods for this could generate extreme amounts of lag, as the amount of code that would have to be executed every other tick * the amount of players = alot.
4) turn particles off in minecraft options?

this is just my view on this, the devs might think differently

Majorite

Verified Member
Black Particles
Another solution would be to make just go back to the old black smoke particles? These particles seemed to take up much less space, and made the moves much less visible than the white particles do. They are bland, and you generally don't imagine air being black, but for practical reasons I think this would be necessary.
In the ProjectKorra config, you can change what particles airbenders use.

Invisible Air (makes sense)
The final and least popular idea would be to remove airbending particles completely. It's the most realistic solution, but in turn it also takes away from the Minecraft feel of blocky particles and cartoon-like animations. This could also prove difficult for airbenders who are not very good at judging where they are placing their air sources, and could lead to many failed airjets and evasions. All in all this idea is the most realistic and logical, but of course it's the hardest to deal with in the long run for the users.
This would make airbending extremely strong. The opponents would not be able to predict or see the move that the airbender is firing at them. Also, in the shows, you can see air. It is logically, but Avatar and Minecraft are not.

Less Particles
Maybe an improvisation that could be made is lessening the amount of particles that airbending uses? I think this would help to make air less view-obstructing, and be much more logical since you shouldn't be able to see air at all, really.
This could be a very nice config option if possible. I think this could be a possible solution.

New Animation?
The third solution would to to just alter the animation of the air. Instead of giving it long streams of particles behind the initial bending move, just have it set as 1 cluster of air at the head of the gust, or 1 line of air for airswipe, or just the outer area of the dome for airburst. This would actually look a lot nicer, I think, and would stop airbending from looking more like cloudbending. You could even consider this idea with the black particles, if you want to get creative.
I'm missing the overall point in this one, I think. Could you please explain it more. (I get the general idea.)

Davboro

Verified Member
This would make airbending extremely strong. The opponents would not be able to predict or see the move that the airbender is firing at them. Also, in the shows, you can see air. It is logically, but Avatar and Minecraft are not.
Well I think in the show it was only visible for the sake of the viewers, not the benders themselves. It'd be kinda dumb to just see airbenders dance around and then a second later a man goes flying, so for the sake of aesthetics they added an animation to it.

I'm missing the overall point in this one, I think. Could you please explain it more. (I get the general idea.)
Sure, sure!

What I'm trying to explain is that only the initial blast be animated. As of now, the initial blast is animated, as well as a pretty long stream behind it. This goes for all of the moves, airblast, airswipe, airsuction, airburst. There are multiple animation repeats in the moves, take fireblast for instance. It's a long trail of fire particles that quickly dissipate, and air uses a similar animation.

I'm suggesting just having 1 cloud of air surge toward an opponent, or 1 cluster of particles instead of many following behind the wind that will actually effect another player. Is that explained well enough?

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Well I think in the show it was only visible for the sake of the viewers, not the benders themselves. It'd be kinda dumb to just see airbenders dance around and then a second later a man goes flying, so for the sake of aesthetics they added an animation to it.

Sure, sure!

What I'm trying to explain is that only the initial blast be animated. As of now, the initial blast is animated, as well as a pretty long stream behind it. This goes for all of the moves, airblast, airswipe, airsuction, airburst. There are multiple animation repeats in the moves, take fireblast for instance. It's a long trail of fire particles that quickly dissipate, and air uses a similar animation.

I'm suggesting just having 1 cloud of air surge toward an opponent, or 1 cluster of particles instead of many following behind the wind that will actually effect another player. Is that explained well enough?
The reason behind this is that minecraft doesn't handle particle effects well, forcing it to look something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.