• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Complete Default Config Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loony

Verified Member
Hello all,
Firstly, I would like to say that I'm assuming this post is going to have mixed opinions, and I ask you keep debates civil.
I know what PK forums can be like, you guys are like fireworks.. But I would like to know people's opinions on this rather than going off topic, thanks.

With that being said;
I think it's time that I brought up the default damage of moves.
My personal opinion is that they're too strong.
I believe that bending should be about skill, and as the config defaults are now, bender's are relying too much on the moves that do the most damage and they are spamming those moves.

There is a lot of moves that I have in mind, but I think as a whole it needs to be re-looked.
I think fire should definitely be looked at. I understand that fire is supposed to be about doing damage, but burning damage needs to be taken into consideration even more than it already has. If fireblast does for example 2 hearts, doesn't sound too overpowered right? But then you take burn damage and that's 2 more hearts gone (just an example, I'm not sure the exact burn damage from fireblast). I know you can argue about earth has earth armour, air has ways to put itself out and water is, well in water. But in a lot of situations sometimes you don't have ways to put yourself out of fire, in particularly water and earth.

I also feel that Chi is strong.
I understand that while chi has a lot of disadvantages that can be easily exploited, but if they do manage to get the hit on you with that paralyze, you are kinda screwed.
My main issue with chi is when it's mixed with other elements. I'm not sure if you do, but I feel you should, when making a move and looking at if it's balanced, also look at what it will be like when mixed with other elements. Seeing if there's any overpowered combo's.
People complain a lot about Avatar's being overpowered, and while I do say, you can't do much with avatar if you don't have the knowledge and skill to use it correct (On my server atleast, I have things nerfed), there are powerful combo's that need to be looked at.
One of the one's that I absolutely hate, (I call it the ''Yuh got so much skill'' combo), is the paralyze, firewall and rapid punch combo.
This combo is insanely powerful. I think one of the reasons that it's so powerful is because Chi has the ability to (of course) block chi, meaning you cannot bend for a short period of time.
So after the chi blocker is done bashing you in your face, it's hard to recover from the beating without your bending, and you can't quickly get to water to put yourself out of fire because you can't bend.
So maybe we come to the conclusion that chi isn't overpowered on its own, what about when it's mixed with other elements?

Not just chi, any elements combined.
I understand that it would take so much time and theory crafting thinking up every possible way a move could be used to balance it correctly, I'm not asking you to do that.
I'm asking to consider how a move is going to be when mixed with other things.
Avatar's and multi-element bending are a thing and I think that should be taken into consideration (although hard) when making and balancing moves.

I just believe that being good with bending should take skill and not just ''spam these moves''. It surprises me that it's like this because the guys at PK usually try to base bending off the show. But in the show, it was hard to be a bender. You had to get trained by a master to be good at it.

Usually in my posts I state the problem and what I want to happen, but with this it's a little hard to do so as there's so many things that needs to be looked at. I just want you to think about making moves a little less powerful. It isn't supposed to win the fight, it's supposed to help towards the kill.

For those of you who say ''why not just edit the config yourself?'' - I have edited it myself. But I can't edit other server's config. There's a lot of lazy server owners who aren't going to edit the config either, and the majority of bending arena's are lacking skill, and overflowing with OP combo's.

It's just something to think about, sorry if it offended the guys who worked on balancing the moves/config, it's just my personal opinion.

Thanks for reading,
~Loony

Gold

Verified Member
Well, multi-benders arent really supposed to happen, but last time I checked I'm pretty sure Paralyze didnt work :/ idk I might be saying something really dumb so disregard that. Just do it how they did it in Avatar, keep your distance and go for range attacks, every fighting style has its counter.

Loony

Verified Member
Well, multi-benders arent really supposed to happen, but last time I checked I'm pretty sure Paralyze didnt work :/ idk I might be saying something really dumb so disregard that. Just do it how they did it in Avatar, keep your distance and go for range attacks, every fighting style has its counter.
But they are a thing, that's my point. Paralyze does work, for me atleast.
It's not that I have a problem keeping my ground, I'm a good bender. I just don't think it's how things should be. The best fights are the long ones, that keep going back and forth, the ones that has skill and strategies.

Gold

Verified Member
But they are a thing, that's my point. Paralyze does work, for me atleast.
It's not that I have a problem keeping my ground, I'm a good bender. I just don't think it's how things should be. The best fights are the long ones, that keep going back and forth, the ones that has skill and strategies.
I dont disagree with your ideas but it just doesnt feel needed to be forced onto everyone who uses the plugin, so usually the only answer people are going to give is config :/

Loony

Verified Member
I dont disagree with your ideas but it just doesnt feel needed to be forced onto everyone who uses the plugin, so usually the only answer people are going to give is config :/
But the thing is, the defaults are already forced on people. I understand that you can't please everybody but from what I have seen there seems to be a lot of people that feel some things are a little too powerful

Gold

Verified Member
But the thing is, the defaults are already forced on people. I understand that you can't please everybody but from what I have seen there seems to be a lot of people that feel some things are a little too powerful
The defaults are forced on the people who want the plugin, switching the game up when there is config options might now work out well, I'm not disagreeing with you but I dont think this might happen do to it affecting a whole choice of fighting style.

moo3oo3oo3

Verified Member
With that being said;
I think it's time that I brought up the default damage of moves.
My personal opinion is that they're too strong.
I believe that bending should be about skill, and as the config defaults are now, bender's are relying too much on the moves that do the most damage and they are spamming those moves.
Then change the config options. I personally find everything prety much balanced since all the moves have advantages and disadvantages agaisnt other elements.

People complain a lot about Avatar's being overpowered, and while I do say, you can't do much with avatar if you don't have the knowledge and skill to use it correct (On my server atleast, I have things nerfed), there are powerful combo's that need to be looked at.
One of the one's that I absolutely hate, (I call it the ''Yuh got so much skill'' combo), is the paralyze, firewall and rapid punch combo.
This combo is insanely powerful. I think one of the reasons that it's so powerful is because Chi has the ability to (of course) block chi, meaning you cannot bend for a short period of time.
So after the chi blocker is done bashing you in your face, it's hard to recover from the beating without your bending, and you can't quickly get to water to put yourself out of fire because you can't bend.
So maybe we come to the conclusion that chi isn't overpowered on its own, what about when it's mixed with other elements?
Note how Avatar Aang and Korra pretty much defeated multiple enemies with ease. Avatar is kind supose to be quite powerful, and with differnt bending having disadvantages over others, it doens't really apply with avatar since it can have all the elements thus pretty much removing the disadvanges.

I also feel that Chi is strong.
I understand that while chi has a lot of disadvantages that can be easily exploited, but if they do manage to get the hit on you with that paralyze, you are kinda screwed.
Then lower the paralisis time for paralyze and immobilze

Loony

Verified Member
Then change the config options. I personally find everything prety much balanced since all the moves have advantages and disadvantages agaisnt other elements.

Note how Avatar Aang and Korra pretty much defeated multiple enemies with ease. Avatar is kind supose to be quite powerful, and with differnt bending having disadvantages over others, it doens't really apply with avatar since it can have all the elements thus pretty much removing the disadvanges.

Then lower the paralisis time for paralyze and immobilze
"For those of you who say ''why not just edit the config yourself?'' - I have edited itmyself. But I can't edit other server's config."

paliate

Verified Member
So you want to change the whole plugin because your server owners won't?
it's not changing the whole plugin, its just changing some default damage, but i don't think its a good idea.
if you want to change it on your server fine, but i don't think its fair to change it just because of a personal opinion.
even if this did happen, i and probably others would just put the damage back to the way it was before.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Really, if you edit your own config for your server, I see no point in complaining. It's not always server owners being lazy, but maybe they like the default, or they are busy, or they do not care for the config and just wanna have fun.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Not to mention, these changes to the config won't affect any servers that started running the plugin before it happened anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.