• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Focus: Tremorsense Addon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Focus is a Tremorsense add-on to create a better use for the move rather than seeing in the dark. Tremorsense, when used by Toph Beifong, was often used to locate other people.

My suggestion today is a User Location ability. There will be 2 occasions in which the move can be used. But before we get to that, let me explain how the move works.
Whenever the move is activated, either by passive or manually activated, a compass will appear in your 9th slot pointing to the nearest person, giving you their name and how many blocks away they are. It doesn't matter in what way the move tells you but I suggest it as if you were to select a new tool and the name of it pops up. For example: "Nearby player: FlyingMockingjay, 20 blocks away"

Method 1 of using the move:
(Demonstrated by Toph when Combustion Man appeared, she woke up from feeling him)
This method is a "passive" version of Tremorsense. If a user comes within a 40 block radius your move will activate, giving the compass to your 9th slot and pointing/notifying you which direction they are and how many blocks away. The passive once activated only lasts 6 seconds. The compass will be removed after that amount of time. That process will be repeated every 15 blocks. Once the user is close enough you can see their name tag it will stop working.
image.jpg
Method 2: (Demonstrated by Lin Beifong in Season 1 of LOK. She located her imprisoned officers.)
This is the manual version of Tremorsense. Simply select the move and left click/jump on the ground below you to activate. Then you can manually see what direction anyone is no matter how close they are. 4 second cool down.
image.jpg
Be reminded that this passive & manual move only works on Earthbendable blocks, but also including wood (Toph could see on the wood in "The Painted Lady").

I will be adding photos for examples as soon as possible, but I have had no access to a computer for this whole week. Thanks and please suggest/Ask questions in the comments!:)

Last edited:

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
I have a couple of issues with this, the first being that you said the compass would go into your 9th slot. I understand that most people would probably have Tremorsense in their 9th slot, but it would make more sense just to say that it would appear in the slot to which they have Tremorsense bound. Another thing is that technically you can always see someone's nametag, it's just harder to see at certain times compared to others. I suggest that the compass stays in the users hands until the targeted player is within 10 blocks of the user. My last complaint is the compass itself. I think that it's a good idea, but it seems too Minecrafty if you get what I'm trying to say. I know that we are, of course, playing the game Minecraft while using this, however I think there are better ways to show that there is a player nearby. For example:
If you Left Click the block you are standing on while you have your tremorsense slot active, the "Ground Below You" will whisper to you the name of the closest payer and say what direction (North, West, etc.) they are in and how many blocks away they are.
Another option would be:
Instead of the "Ground Below You" whispering, it could just be a short message appearing on your screen, simply telling you the amount of blocks away that a player is. For example when you hit the block below you this message would appear, "Player 20 Blocks Away", or maybe if it is a mob, "Zombie 18 Blocks Away". The massage would appear in a similar fashion to the bending preview side-plugin that @OmniCypher created, possibly in a smaller font. There would be a configurable range on this of course, as you mentioned in your original post.
If any of these seem somewhat OP to you, think about how you are giving up a whole slot, 1/9 of all your moves, just to be able to know if there is a player nearby. Some may find this useful however for locating mob spawners, or if you are unsure of turning a corner because you suspect a cave spider might be on the other side. Of course there are many uses, but these are just my suggestions for this idea that I think may need some improvement. Also I believe in being thorough, incase you haven't noticed yet ;)

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
I have a couple of issues with this, the first being that you said the compass would go into your 9th slot. I understand that most people would probably have Tremorsense in their 9th slot, but it would make more sense just to say that it would appear in the slot to which they have Tremorsense bound. Another thing is that technically you can always see someone's nametag, it's just harder to see at certain times compared to others. I suggest that the compass stays in the users hands until the targeted player is within 10 blocks of the user. My last complaint is the compass itself. I think that it's a good idea, but it seems too Minecrafty if you get what I'm trying to say. I know that we are, of course, playing the game Minecraft while using this, however I think there are better ways to show that there is a player nearby. For example:
If you Left Click the block you are standing on while you have your tremorsense slot active, the "Ground Below You" will whisper to you the name of the closest payer and say what direction (North, West, etc.) they are in and how many blocks away they are.
Another option would be:
Instead of the "Ground Below You" whispering, it could just be a short message appearing on your screen, simply telling you the amount of blocks away that a player is. For example when you hit the block below you this message would appear, "Player 20 Blocks Away", or maybe if it is a mob, "Zombie 18 Blocks Away". The massage would appear in a similar fashion to the bending preview side-plugin that @OmniCypher created, possibly in a smaller font. There would be a configurable range on this of course, as you mentioned in your original post.
If any of these seem somewhat OP to you, think about how you are giving up a whole slot, 1/9 of all your moves, just to be able to know if there is a player nearby. Some may find this useful however for locating mob spawners, or if you are unsure of turning a corner because you suspect a cave spider might be on the other side. Of course there are many uses, but these are just my suggestions for this idea that I think may need some improvement. Also I believe in being thorough, incase you haven't noticed yet ;)
Summary: I think the compass is too similar to a regular minecraft feature. Maybe if you make it a whisper/message on screen that says "Player/Zombie ## Blocks Away", it'd be more with the plugin instead of using something already in place in MC. This would be activated by clicking the ground below you. It could be OP for some people to think of, but that's a matter of opinion.

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
Summary: I think the compass is too similar to a regular minecraft feature. Maybe if you make it a whisper/message on screen that says "Player/Zombie ## Blocks Away", it'd be more with the plugin instead of using something already in place in MC. This would be activated by clicking the ground below you. It could be OP for some people to think of, but that's a matter of opinion.
Thank you so much for this xD

paliate

Verified Member
Why not just make a subtitle that says it?
I'm not a big fan of bending that gives you any sort of block or item, even if it is temporary.
Like @JewFroJustin said about chris's subtitle plugin.

I do think that its long overdue that tremorsense gets a better use, but i think that how justin stated it would probably be alot better than the compass.
I think the whispering is too much, I mean toph wasn't crazy and having things talk to her, I mean.. Let's not confuse toph for boomy.
Maybe just "Nearest Opponent x Blocks Away" would do just fine.

owlcool

Verified Member
Maybe we could have a arrow made of glowstone pointing towards the nearest player within 50 blocks, touching a earthbendable block, assuming that earthbendable blocks touched between you and the nearest player. Maybe a 1/10 chance would be that jungle biomes would extend the range of this, ex. Toph in jungle.

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
Maybe we could have a arrow made of glowstone pointing towards the nearest player within 50 blocks, touching a earthbendable block, assuming that earthbendable blocks touched between you and the nearest player. Maybe a 1/10 chance would be that jungle biomes would extend the range of this, ex. Toph in jungle.
I'm not too crazy about an arrow of glowstone in the ground. Seems too, "Hey! Look! This way to the badguy!" as appose to, "There is something moving towards you from the east..." I'm going along with what I said, and I agree with @coastyo
I do really like the jungle idea though! That would be really neat!

Moonelight

Verified Member
I like the idea of removing the compass. It sounded good at first but seeing the suggestions, it makes more sense to have a subtitle only. But the reason I chose for it to show you the way is because you don't always see someone's nametag nearby. Whether or not they are close, you might be getting "sneak attacked" and not realize they are there.

The move is also useful for finding people that are hiding, trying to heal while you're in combat.

Last edited:

paliate

Verified Member
Sneak attacked? so your telling me your going to randomly check for people?
I'm sure that if you were being sneak attacked you wouldn't know it... Your not going to randomly use tremorsense when your not expecting to be attacked..

owlcool

Verified Member
I'm sure that if you were being sneak attacked you wouldn't know it... Your not going to randomly use tremorsense when your not expecting to be attacked..
On some servers this may come in quite handy, such as certain factions servers.

Moonelight

Verified Member
No, you wouldn't randomly use Tremorsense. The passive would happen, notifying you of the player coming near you.

Moonelight

Verified Member
If any of these seem somewhat OP to you, think about how you are giving up a whole slot, 1/9 of all your moves, just to be able to know if there is a player nearby.
Sorry I just now read your whole comment. The passive wouldn't require you to have Tremorsense in a slot. The compass would just automatically fill the 9th slot and then disappear. But I do like the message ideas better.

Just an example: My main bending server I play has Tremorsense as a passive. So whenever I'm in the dark/caves I don't have to worry about having the move selected because it automatically works by itself.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Why not just make a subtitle that says it?
I'm not a big fan of bending that gives you any sort of block or item, even if it is temporary.
Like @JewFroJustin said about chris's subtitle plugin.

I do think that its long overdue that tremorsense gets a better use, but i think that how justin stated it would probably be alot better than the compass.
I think the whispering is too much, I mean toph wasn't crazy and having things talk to her, I mean.. Let's not confuse toph for boomy.
I think saying the number how many blocks the player is abit to accurate for an regular earthbender (they aren't tophs). Would be better if it said instead "An Approaching target is near/further away from you.". I still like the compass thing, so I would prefer over this.
Another thing is that technically you can always see someone's nametag, it's just harder to see at certain times compared to others. I suggest that the compass stays in the users hands until the targeted player is within 10 blocks of the user.
I dislike that. What If someone is behind you? Or even invisible? I think that it should passively let you know like a danger sense or smth alike, but if that is to much, than allow the player to still sense it manually when the target is within 10 blocks.
Well Toph felt it someone <Combustion Man> man coming, but that might be just toph (powerfull earthbender; was born intuitive with her Seismic Sense due to her blindness)
Another option would be:
Instead of the "Ground Below You" whispering, it could just be a short message appearing on your screen, simply telling you the amount of blocks away that a player is. For example when you hit the block below you this message would appear, "Player 20 Blocks Away", or maybe if it is a mob, "Zombie 18 Blocks Away".
Like some said "whispering is too much", so I don't think it really have to be a full expressed speech sentence. I would perfer for it to say in the chat box "Tremorsense: East or E for sort, [Player|Mob] [nearer/further]" (note that player name won't be determined). Like I said, it should say the accurancy of the distance between blocks in numbers. When the living entity is within 50 blocks, it will display that it is far, 25 blocks - close.

Last edited:

Green

Verified Member
Honestly i love this, but i think when using it manually there HAS to be a limit on how far it can reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.