• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into (Spirits) Possesion

SuperBower118

Verified Member
NOTE: I'm basing my suggestions for the Spirits Plugin off of the Spirits: First Looks post. http://projectkorra.com/forum/threads/projectkorra-spirits-first-looks.406/

Spirits have been shown to be able to go inside of people and "possess" them, whether it be a Light Spirit or a Dark Spirit; Raava and Vaatu weren't the only Spirits capable of possession.
Even though First Looks is over a year old, it doesn't seem like Light Spirits have the ability to possess people, which I think they should.
Like every spirit, they can possess human beings and thereby put them in mortal danger.

~ Avatar Wiki - Dark Spirits Page

The way how I imagine possession would work. You would hold sneak and you would be launched in the direction you're facing for about 6 blocks. If you run into a person, you would possess them.

When Light Spirits harmfully possess a person, the victim would be paralyzed for the duration of the possession. The Light Spirit would be invisible throughout the duration of the possession, and they would always be slightly ahead of the victim, but facing towards the way the victim is facing. If the spirit moves their point of view, the victim's PoV would adjust to the spirit's and the spirit would be "teleported" to be right in front of the person again, but this only applies for looking around, not up or down. When the spirit walks, the victim will walk with the spirit. Every second, the victim would take a full heart of damage. The Harmful Possession duration would last for 3.5 seconds. A possessed person emits particles appropriate to the type of spirit they are possessed by. (Light Spirits = Light Blue Redstone Particles. Dark Spirits = Dark Purple Redstone Particles)

When Dark Spirits possess a person, the victim would be able retain their movement. However, they would be unable to bend, jump, and would receive slowness 2. They would receive half a heart of damage every .5 seconds. The Duration of the possession would be 3.5 seconds, but after the possession is done, the victim would receive slowness 1 and weakness 1 for 3 seconds.

HydroMan

Verified Member
And I think it shouldn't kill the user, it will only have 0.5 hearth left. Also if the spirit leaves, the user will regain the hearts that were remaining before the harmfull possession, so it wouldn't be insta kill on a final spirit, as it would sound cheap to me.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
And I think it shouldn't kill the user, it will only have 0.5 hearth left. Also if the spirit leaves, the user will regain the hearts that were remaining before the harmfull possession, so it wouldn't be insta kill on a final spirit, as it would sound cheap to me.
This doesn't kill the user- a light spirit does 3 hearts while a dark spirit does 3.5 hearts + debuffs...

HydroMan

Verified Member
But what if the target has 3 hearths before you possess him? Making a target die of possession seems silly to me.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
But what if the target has 3 hearths before you possess him? Making a target die of possession seems silly to me.
Spirits have the ability to take over a human's body for short periods of time. When this happens, the human takes on some of the spirit's physical characteristics. However, this possession is not without danger for the host; if a spirit stays in the body for too long, the host will die.
It's possible for the host to die if the spirit stays in the host's body too long. However, I'd imagine that a weakened host would not last as long as a host that is in normal condition.

Verified Member
I think that what superbower118 is saying is how the move should be because it won't kill the user if they have full health users with only 3 hearts lefts to bad for them they will die. Also Brad just because light spirits are the good spirits doesn't mean they don't posses the power to posses and if I am correct some type or tree spirit that was good possessed a human in The Legend of Korra.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Placing this Looking Into. I like the idea of a possession move for the plugin, but your suggestion would need a bit of changing. I don't think damaging a user every 1 second is reasonable. Also, the POV idea seems too complicated, why not just become one with the other guy? I'm no developer, so I don't know if that would actually work. Either idea is fine.

Good job.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
why not just become one with the other guy?
Problem is, your view would most likely be abstracted by the other guy's head.
I don't think damaging a user every 1 second is reasonable.
The damage is meant to represent the spirit taking over your body- it's honestly not that bad- especially when compared to bending. Spirits can seriously screw you over if they want to possess you.