• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

[1.9] Bending with Shields?

bastila70

Allow me to preface by saying, I wasn't sure if this should be in suggestions or general discussion. Sorry if I posted it in the wrong forum!

The 1.9 update! I'm fairly sure everyone is excited for it! The balancing, the nerfs, the buffs, the items, et cetera. However, what does this mean for bending? I remember reading a thread a while ago about having two bending moves bounds, one for your off-hand and one for your main hand. However, this seemed impractical (To me at least.) However, it raises the question, knowing that 1.9 brings shields to the mix. Should you be able to bend with a shield in your off-hand? It's already been shown that in order to bend, you need to freely be able to have your full range of motion to perform the katas necessary to bending. I doubt that that could be achieved freely if you have a tower shield and a sword in your hand. Albeit, being able to bend with a weapon in hand has been proven to be some manner of canon in TLA/LoK (Zuko and... well, basically every airbender with a staff.) But never once have they bended (bent?) when their range of motion was denied to them. So, I'd like to see that if and/or when PK updates to accomodate 1.9, that bending is... well, impossible when holding a shield.

That's all! Thanks for taking the time to read, and if I made any mistakes, please let me know! <3

It depends on the bending technique, for earth is could be used as a metalbending item and it'd make bending unaffected due to rigid movements. For water it'd make moves weaker due to not having the full mobility and fluidity.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
I do not believe any restrictions or limitations will be put on bending with shields for practical reasons, although it might lead to new abilities, and if there were any to be made they would most likely reside in the rpg plugin. This is just my opinion and view on it, so don't take this as fact.

orfeas

Well first of all 1.9 must come out so we can see what cooders can do with shields and stuff(also imagine bending while flying with elytra)
But yes what you are saying makes sense.

HydroMan

And it will be denied for "we don't know what will we have and whatwill be able to code, we aren't really taking suggestions that involve Minecraft 1.9," reason, like how happened to the thread you mention. Thought, they might change this prefix once the 1.9 will be released and it's capability of coding will be relieved to be possible

HydroMan

I do not believe any restrictions or limitations will be put on bending with shields for practical reasons, although it might lead to new abilities, and if there were any to be made they would most likely reside in the rpg plugin. This is just my opinion and view on it, so don't take this as fact.
Using eartharmor to get shield in hand woud be awesome though.