• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Avatar Ability: Spirit Portal (contains finale spoilers)

Moonelight

Verified Member
Yes, she did create it. Do you think Kuvira's weapon would have just created the portal itself? The weapon was firing spirit energy all over the place, and would have continued to do so until the weapon either exploded, releasing all the energy at once in a giant explosion, destroying republic city and likely much of the surrounding area, or until the spirit vines ran out of energy, which likely would have been a while, given the vast amount of vines all over the city. Instead, Korra entered the Avatar State, and used energybending to bend the energy and drew it towards her, and following the law of conservation of energy, the energy was changed and converted into a new spirit portal, rather than destroyed. Think of it as lightning redirection; instead of the energy from the spirit vines being directed into a large beam of energy or explosion via the weapon, it was bended (or redirected) by the Avatar into a different form of release, the spirit portal. Also, consider the fact that Vaatu was stated to have created the original spirit portals. So, logically, it would make sense that the Avatar, by using Raava's energy via the Avatar State, would be able to accomplish a similar feat, given enough spirit energy.
Korra says it herself, "Your weapon tore a link between the spirit world and overworld."

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Korra says it herself, "Your weapon tore a link between the spirit world and overworld."
When she said that, she was referring to the ENERGY from her weapon; it was not the weapon itself that created the portal. LIkely the weapon would have just caused more and more destruction. Rather, Korra was a facilitator; bending the energy from the weapon into a portal. Did you not see her walk in front of the weapon, enter the Avatar State, and energybend the energy being fired from weapon into a large bubble, before bending it back towards her, and focusing the energy into a portal? Like I said, think of it as lightning redirection. And it was already stated in BOOK 2, that Vaatu created the original portals into the physical world from the spirit world, so it would make sense that the Avatar, being the host of Raava, would be able to use the Avatar State to create a new portal, provided enough spirit energy to bend.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
It was never Korra's intention to create the spirit portal in republic city; all she knew was that she could bend the spirit energy to save Kuvira.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
It was never Korra's intention to create the spirit portal in republic city; all she knew was that she could bend the spirit energy to save Kuvira.
what does intention have to do with it? She still bended it, and into the form of a Spirit Portal. The fact it is possible is all that is necessary. Did Aang know exactly what he was doing when he energybended Fire Lord Phoenix King Ozai's energy and took away his bending?

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
what does intention have to do with it? She still bended it, and into the form of a Spirit Portal. The fact it is possible is all that is necessary. Did Aang know exactly what he was doing when he energybended Fire Lord Phoenix King Ozai's energy and took away his bending?
Aang knew that he was taking away his bending - he learned it from that lion turtle. Korra was merely redirecting the energy so Kuvira wouldn't die, the fact that it tore a hole in the world to enter the spirit world was completely spontaneous.
EDIT: And where exactly would the avatar find the spiritual energy to form a portal?

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Aang knew that he was taking away his bending - he learned it from that lion turtle. Korra was merely redirecting the energy so Kuvira wouldn't die, the fact that it tore a hole in the world to enter the spirit world was completely spontaneous.
EDIT: And where exactly would the avatar find the spiritual energy to form a portal?
Never said it wouldn't require massive amounts of spiritual energy. And I'm inclined to believe Aang didn't know exactly what he was doing; there is no way he could have known it would have the affect of removing Ozai's bending.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Never said it wouldn't require massive amounts of spiritual energy. And I'm inclined to believe Aang didn't know exactly what he was doing; there is no way he could have known it would have the affect of removing Ozai's bending.
Even if Korra's actions were spontaneous, how is that reason to exclude the ability? We know how its done and what the end result would be, and we know that Vaatu also did the same with the Northern and Southern Portals, so he must've also known what he was doing. And spontaneous has never stopped an ability before from being added. And besides, what evidence do we have that she had no idea what she was doing? She very well could have known. Perhaps while in the Avatar State, Raava's knowledge of Vaatu doing the same thing is what prompted Korra to do so. Its just like Aang taking away Ozai's bending.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
She said the weapon broke a hole through the world, not that she had used the energy herself to form a portal. Korra was shocked that the portal had been created, and that was rather evident.
It was not confirmable. regardless, intent to create the portal is not relevant, what is relevant is the fact she did it. If not for her intervention, weapon would have just kept firing until it ran out of energy or exploded; it wouldn't have just created a portal itself.

WeTitans3

Verified Member
I still like the idea of the three End Portals be the three Spirit Portals. I think it fits, it would just needs tome visual tweaking

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
It was not confirmable. regardless, intent to create the portal is not relevant, what is relevant is the fact she did it. If not for her intervention, weapon would have just kept firing until it ran out of energy or exploded; it wouldn't have just created a portal itself.
An avatar couldn't simply create a portal, they would need a source of spiritual energy to do so..

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
This idea seems somewhat impractical to me. Korra indirectly created the third portal, all she did was redirect the energy from the spirit weapon and the energy tore a whole through dimensions. Korra never had an intention to create another spirit portal, it just happened. That being said, I don't think that the avatar can simply posses an ability to create spirit portals, at least not without a crazy amount of spirit energy. The vines-in-avatar's-invertory thing doesn't make much sense, mostly because when Korra created the spirit portal, it was from the spirit weapon's attack. She never absorbed the energy, she simply redirected it. If you still believe that this should be a legitimate thing in the plugin, would you mind answering these questions:
  1. How would someone go about create a portal (without the vines)?
  2. How would you refrain from creating like 20 portals on one server?
  3. Where would all of the spirit energy come from (again, without vines)?
  4. How would the portal work?

Migsel

Verified Member
Aang actually did know what he was doing and as @zmeduna said, the lion turtle taught him how to give and take away people's ability to bend.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
This idea seems somewhat impractical to me. Korra indirectly created the third portal, all she did was redirect the energy from the spirit weapon and the energy tore a whole through dimensions. Korra never had an intention to create another spirit portal, it just happened. That being said, I don't think that the avatar can simply posses an ability to create spirit portals, at least not without a crazy amount of spirit energy. The vines-in-avatar's-invertory thing doesn't make much sense, mostly because when Korra created the spirit portal, it was from the spirit weapon's attack. She never absorbed the energy, she simply redirected it. If you still believe that this should be a legitimate thing in the plugin, would you mind answering these questions:
  1. How would someone go about create a portal (without the vines)?
  2. How would you refrain from creating like 20 portals on one server?
  3. Where would all of the spirit energy come from (again, without vines)?
  4. How would the portal work?
1. The Avatar would do it with an energybending ability, and without the vines, it would require a powerful spirit attack. (already explained in the first post, please read the WHOLE thing before commenting)
2. Finally a legitimate question. If the Server owner wants to set a limit on how many portals the Avatar can create, he/she can set a configuration for that, so the Avatar cannot create too many.
3. See my proposed Spirit Energy Cannon thread. If not that though, then a powerful spirit attack.
4. It would allow you to enter and exit the spirit world physically; how else?

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
Aang actually did know what he was doing and as @zmeduna said, the lion turtle taught him how to give and take away people's ability to bend.

It can't be proven that he did indeed know. Regardless, just because Korra did not intend to create the portal, doesn't mean we cannot add the ability. We saw how it worked. And besides, who says Korra had no idea? Raava could have given her the knowledge. And we know Vaatu did it thousands of years ago. He must have had some idea of what he was doing. Regardless, we know for a fact, given enough spirit energy, the Avatar can create a spirit portal.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
It can't be proven that he did indeed know. Regardless, just because Korra did not intend to create the portal, doesn't mean we cannot add the ability. We saw how it worked. And besides, who says Korra had no idea? Raava could have given her the knowledge. And we know Vaatu did it thousands of years ago. He must have had some idea of what he was doing. Regardless, we know for a fact, given enough spirit energy, the Avatar can create a spirit portal.
Aang did know what he was doing. He learned it from the lion turtle, and there is even a reference to that in the clip @Ninjakid1324 posted I believe. And afterwards he explains to toph, sokka, and suki that he took away ozai's bending, without any wavering un-sureness.

Also korra didn't make the portal on purpose. I believe in the last episode she even says it herself at one point. She had no idea what she had been doing when bending the energy from the spirit beam, she was just trying to save kuvira. If Raava had told her she could make a portal (which I doubt Raava would have done), don't you think they would have included that in the show? No avatar had created a portal before, so it wasn't even thought to be possible.

I don't think this move would be a good addition on the grounds that-
It would require much more than just several spirit vines in ones inventory,
I don't believe that it would be used very often because of the amount of spirit energy that should be required, and it was not done on purpose, unlike every other single move in this plugin (most public made moves also) which was done on purpose and actually had an effective purpose themselves.

Sorry, but it's just how I see it.

JewFroJustin

Verified Member
1. The Avatar would do it with an energybending ability, and without the vines, it would require a powerful spirit attack. (already explained in the first post, please read the WHOLE thing before commenting)
2. Finally a legitimate question. If the Server owner wants to set a limit on how many portals the Avatar can create, he/she can set a configuration for that, so the Avatar cannot create too many.
3. See my proposed Spirit Energy Cannon thread. If not that though, then a powerful spirit attack.
4. It would allow you to enter and exit the spirit world physically; how else?
The only problem I see with the spirit attack is that, one: there would have to be a move that has just as much power as the spirit canon thingy, and 2: even if we went along with the spirit attack or the spirit weapon, the avatar could just ask to be shot at and then create a portal. That doesn't seem very realistic IMO. Plus, your argument about how Aang didn't know what he was doing, but Korra did is invalid. It is very clear that Aang took the firelord's bending away intentionally, but Korra unintentionally created a spirit portal.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
The only problem I see with the spirit attack is that, one: there would have to be a move that has just as much power as the spirit canon thingy, and 2: even if we went along with the spirit attack or the spirit weapon, the avatar could just ask to be shot at and then create a portal. That doesn't seem very realistic IMO. Plus, your argument about how Aang didn't know what he was doing, but Korra did is invalid. It is very clear that Aang took the firelord's bending away intentionally, but Korra unintentionally created a spirit portal.
Aang could have known what he was doing; I never denied that. I only said he COULD have not known. Its the same for Korra.