• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Avatar Ability: Spirit Portal (contains finale spoilers)

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
So, in the Series finale, Korra absorbs the energy from Kuvira's spirit energy cannon (which apparently absorbed spirit energy from the surrounding vines to launch an ultra powerful, very long attack) And then she released it to create a new portal to the spirit world. So, My idea was that the Avatar could have an ability that allows them to absorb energy from spirit vines (could possibly be a custom item addition), possibly requiring a certain amount in their inventory (it could be regular vines if you so desire), and by holding shift for 5 seconds (configurable), the vines would be depleted, and a new spirit portal would be created. This ability would also be able to be used by the Avatar to absorb spirit attacks that are powerful enough (power of attack required could be configurable) by also holding shift. The Avatar would also be able to use the ability to close a spirit portal by clicking on it, and then pressing shift. The same process will open it back up. By clicking and holding shift on the portal, the Avatar could absorb the spirit energy from the portal, using it either to restore full health, hunger, or release it in a giant bubble of spirit energy (represented by ender particles) that would, after a few seconds of expanding, kill everyone within a certain radius (configurable). All functions of this ability would be possible both with the Avatar's physical body and spirit. Also, spirit portals would be represented by a beacon.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
So the title itself SPOILS that part of the episode. Obviously showing an avatar could SOMEHOW make a portal. The thing is, I don't think that Korra actually made the portal... I believe that Korra pushed the energy into the vines and the spirits created a gap so the energy could return to the spirit world.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Did you not read the big freaking banner on the top of your screen Venusaur? NO SPOILING IT.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
I posted this only shortly after the finale aired online, BEFORE the banner was up. did you not read the freaking time stamp? And regardless, When I posted it, I added to the title (Contains Finale Spoilers), so a person would know not to look at it if they didn't want to be spoiled. If they read this thread when I specifically stated in the tile that it contains finale spoilers, its their problem.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
If you didn't notice, THE BANNER HAS NO TIMESTAMP. Plus I didn't feel like checking the timestamp, got a problem with it?

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
If you didn't notice, THE BANNER HAS NO TIMESTAMP. Plus I didn't feel like checking the timestamp, got a problem with it?
I meant the timestamp on my thread, and the thread posted in the news explaining the banner has a timestamp, I bet.
So the title itself SPOILS that part of the episode. Obviously showing an avatar could SOMEHOW make a portal. The thing is, I don't think that Korra actually made the portal... I believe that Korra pushed the energy into the vines and the spirits created a gap so the energy could return to the spirit world.
People knew from Book 2 that the Avatar had some connection to spirit portals (opening and closing them) and for all they know, this could be that. Besides, I posted it before the banner saying not to spoil was posted, and even said in the title when I wrote this "Contains spoilers".

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Wow. You really are that unoriginal at making comebacks, aren't you. Everyone feel free to ignore white knight's posts from now on, the vast majority of them make pointless arguments.
Says the person that thinks fire isn't powerful. But I wasn't making a comeback, I was literally telling you to not tell me what to do.

Moonelight

Verified Member
The Avatar didn't create the Spirit Portal, it was the Spirit Energy Weapon Kuvira created that caused it. The spirit vine wilds over powered it, and it tore a new way to enter the spirit world (the Republic City Spirit Portal).

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Yes, you are. Now stop. This page is for intelligent discussion on the possibility of this ability.
I have done nothing to troll. And what makes you think this is an intelligent discussion when most of what you have suggested is incorrect. As Fly said Korra didn't create the spirit portal. And when in the show did any avatar absorb power from portal?

Brightone

Verified Member
I think it could be added, but there should be a little more time to open/close a portal, because just like in the show, it took korra at least 10 seconds to open it.

Venusaur0817

Verified Member
The Avatar didn't create the Spirit Portal, it was the Spirit Energy Weapon Kuvira created that caused it. The spirit vine wilds over powered it, and it tore a new way to enter the spirit world (the Republic City Spirit Portal).
Yes, she did create it. Do you think Kuvira's weapon would have just created the portal itself? The weapon was firing spirit energy all over the place, and would have continued to do so until the weapon either exploded, releasing all the energy at once in a giant explosion, destroying republic city and likely much of the surrounding area, or until the spirit vines ran out of energy, which likely would have been a while, given the vast amount of vines all over the city. Instead, Korra entered the Avatar State, and used energybending to bend the energy and drew it towards her, and following the law of conservation of energy, the energy was changed and converted into a new spirit portal, rather than destroyed. Think of it as lightning redirection; instead of the energy from the spirit vines being directed into a large beam of energy or explosion via the weapon, it was bended (or redirected) by the Avatar into a different form of release, the spirit portal. Also, consider the fact that Vaatu was stated to have created the original spirit portals. So, logically, it would make sense that the Avatar, by using Raava's energy via the Avatar State, would be able to accomplish a similar feat, given enough spirit energy.