• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

What If Players Had A Chi Reserve?

Hero

Verified Member
What if PK used a system where it would show a boss bar saying [Player]'s Chi and your moves would bring it down. Once it's completely gone, you can't bend because your chi reserves are done. You may be thinking that it makes no sense, but do realize that everyone in ATLA and LOK had a chi reserve and they got fatigue as they used more moves. You may say that it's them from all the moving, but it's even been explained that all benders of any element have use their chi to power their respective element.

It would be very helpful because it would cut down on spamming and using big powerful moves like Lightning or EarthSmash would feel like they are big and powerful because of the fact that they would take a considerable chuck away. When a chiblocker paralyzes you, you would see your chi completely gone. It would get you more immersed with the idea that every move counts. This is definitely not a replacement for cooldowns, but it would bring a more strategic way of bending because you actually get to see moves have an impact on you and others.

It would definitely be a problem for some because the idea is the more moves you use, the more taxing it is. It's like when you go to exercise and you are using a lot of little weights or small and quick steps. The more you use them, the more you get tired. If you use something like FireBlast > FireJet > FireBlast, your chi would drop considerably. But if you pace yourself correctly, you could go a lot longer. So instead of someone doing FireBlast > FireBlast > FireJet Combo > FireBlast, you could have a small quick breather between each fireblast.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Well it should be a replacement for cooldowns. I see no reason in having a cooldown and your chi bar idea to co-exist in the plugin, only one. Or else unbalance could come.

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
It was never seen in the show of Benders having limited amounts of Chi. What you're suggesting is basically Mana from RPGs. Chi isn't something you gain or lose, its just something you have, but when its blocked bad things occur.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
This is more of a mana system which many RPGs have when you use magic.. We have cooldowns to show how much force it takes to use a move (that's why lightning can't be spammed) and in most fights you don't see someone getting tired and be unable to bend when they use something like an earthsmash..

Hero

Verified Member
We see benders getting tired in the show, but never completely drained. Chiblocking does not remove or get rid of someones chi, it just blocks the flow of chi in someone's body.
Thats what I meant by it. Maybe it would just stop there but I thought it would be like it drains completely and fills back up like a timer as you "feel" yourself being un-paralyzed.

Hero

Verified Member
It was never seen in the show of Benders having limited amounts of Chi. What you're suggesting is basically Mana from RPGs. Chi isn't something you gain or lose, its just something you have, but when its blocked bad things occur.
Actually Iroh and the Wiki explains that benders do actually use their chi to bend their element. Thats why you can't keep lightning for long. Its explained that it is taxing on their chi. When they "lose" their chi, they are basically physically worn out.

Hero

Verified Member
This is more of a mana system which many RPGs have when you use magic.. We have cooldowns to show how much force it takes to use a move (that's why lightning can't be spammed) and in most fights you don't see someone getting tired and be unable to bend when they use something like an earthsmash..
You do see alot of of benders getting tired. Im not sure if you actually read my post or if you just skimmed it but it explains that pacing yourself won't drain you as quickly like someone spamming.

Hero

Verified Member
Well it should be a replacement for cooldowns. I see no reason in having a cooldown and your chi bar idea to co-exist in the plugin, only one. Or else unbalance could come.
It wouldn't be unbalanced because cooldowns help you from completely draining yourself. While this is similar to mana in RPG's, MMORPG's have mana and cooldowns and they work fine.

Im not saying that chi is mana though, I am just saying we should add a fatigue system.

Fyf

Verified Member
Benders don't get tired from 'Losing their chi' while bending. They get tired from performing all of the necessary movements to perform said bending moves. Also i'm pretty sure the reason why you cant use lightning for very long is because its very taxing on your body to channel lightning for a long period of time because lightning is literally running through your body and if you lose control then you would cause serious harm to yourself.
I'm not a fan of this idea at all, its way to reminiscent of a mana system, it would make PvP pretty lame and even if it could be considered canon i could only see it being implemented into rpg.

Sidenote if we add this, is the next thing we add going to be thirst?
"Bending makes you thirsty so.. You need to drink some water to rejuvenate yourself, this is where having a water-bender friend to water manip at your mouth comes in handy."

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Actually Iroh and the Wiki explains that benders do actually use their chi to bend their element. Thats why you can't keep lightning for long. Its explained that it is taxing on their chi. When they "lose" their chi, they are basically physically worn out.
Don't confuse Stamina and Focus for chi. Some benders can maintain their bending longer because they can focus it. If you watch Iroh explain lightning, he says you split your chi into positive and negative, and then when it collides together it creates lightning. He's not saying pour your energy out of your finger tips.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Thank goodness we arent talking about real life ...
That could be held true to the show too. Remember, the spiritual stuff aren't far fetch up from the real world (aren't most of the spiritual concepts based of real life btw?)