• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

[Water] Surge's new function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Hello, everyone!

I'm here to bring my recent thoughts about Surge. I feel like it is poor in movement, in looking and in use. In "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and in "The Legend of Korra", I've always seen how powerful a wave of water could be, capable of washing the targets away or to protect you and your friends. Even in the old Project Korra Wiki Page, it was shown to be a great resource in a Waterbender's arsenal.

The Surge we currently have is great, and I thank the people who made it everytime I'm facing a Lavabender. But it doesn't give you the feel of power a wave would give, does it? This is what I would like to see Surge like:

In this scene, to those who can't see it, Aang creates his first water wave, which then washes both Sokka and Appa, unnintentionly to the Avatar.

The Surge we have now has two modes:
  • Surge Shield;
  • Surge Wave.
Which of them has their own usages, such as mobility and defense. As so, I would suggest new controls for this move in order for it to be more fluid.

Name: Surge;
Controls: Look at a water source, select your Surge binded slot and hold shift.
  • Water or Ice as a source:
    • Surge Shield: While holding shift, drag your cursor and the water would follow it. You can move the water wherever you want, in a pre-determined radius. For it to work well as a shield, you would want it to be between you and what you want to protect from.
      The Surge Shield would be as big as the amount of water around the source you selected. if it has more than 5 blocks of water or ice around the block you selected, the water shield would be a 4x4 wave, which is always connected to the original source. That way, you can't drag it too far from the source or the water would collapse. Also, because the amount of water being moved is great, fluid moves would be required. If the waterbender decides to move suddenly, the water would collapse, as seen in "ATLA", when Katara tried to move amounts of water with abruptiness. If, on the other hand, the waterbender decides that the water should be cut off its source, he would tap shift once first, then drag the water.
    • Surge Wave: Still while holding shift, you can click to shoot a wave of water in the direction you were looking at. The Surge Wave would be created after the Surge Shield, so if you want a big wave, look up, then click. The tallest the waves, the less they would travel. If you want to ride a wave (like Katara did in the Crystal Catacombs), get in the water, make a wave under you as in Surge Shield and shoot it in the direction you want to go. Remember: the more taller it is, the shorter would be the distance crossed.
      To shoot the wave connected to the water source, you must click while shifting. If it is the case to shoot the wave away from the source, click twice and the wave would follow its path, pushing everything. If the wave that is connected to the source has its root cut, the wave would clash to the ground, smashing and knockbacking entities, unless the wave is being rode. That way, the wave would keep going, pushing everything with it, and would slowly decay. If the waterbender stops sneaking, the water would spalsh the ground as the example given previously.
  • Bottles as sources:
    • Surge Shield: (the same controls as the example above)
      This shield would be smaller, 2x2 if bent from one bottles, 3x3 if bent from two or more bottles, and it would be draggable to everywhere.
    • Surge Wave: Still while holding shift, you would click to shoot the water in the direction you were looking. Unlike the the current Surge, it wouldn't be influenced by the Moon. It would be way smaller with less knockback. This wave can't be rode.
      This wave would be smaller, similar to the WaterManipulation looks, except being more thicker in the front. The knockback and size would be determined by the amount of bottles in the waterbender's inventory. If he only has one bottle, the water would be like WaterManipulation, a bit longer, and the knockback would be like seven blocks. If the waterbender has more than one water bottles, the wave would be bigger, a hopper-like WaterManipulation, that would provoque 12 blocks of knockback.

Notes: As you may note, the knockback was nerfed in the bottlebending situation. I did in order to give a touch of realism to the water technique. Because of that, I would suggest Surge to account wall damage. Another thing that wasn't mentioned here on purpose was the freezing functions of Surge. They would have their own "combo" versions, where PhaseChange comes in and freezes every water, by still shifting at your Surge Shield and clicking with PhaseChange. Unfortunely, I have to say that remote freezing with Surge Wave was way too overpowered, in the sense that you are freezing someone/something in a giant ice sphere with the minimum effort. That would be removed and/or later turned into a combo.

I hope you liked it! Feedback, even if it is offensive, unnecessary or spam, is appreciated (at least, by me xD)

Taiko.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Hello, everyone!

I'm here to bring my recent thoughts about Surge. I feel like it is poor in movement, in looking and in use. In "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and in "The Legend of Korra", I've always seen how powerful a wave of water could be, capable of washing the targets away or to protect you and your friends. Even in the old Project Korra Wiki Page, it was shown to be a great resource in a Waterbender's arsenal.

The Surge we currently have is great, and I thank the people who made it everytime I'm facing a Lavabender. But it doesn't give you the feel of power a wave would give, does it? This is what I would like to see Surge like:

In this scene, to those who can't see it, Aang creates his first water wave, which then washes both Sokka and Appa, unnintentionly to the Avatar.

The Surge we have now has two modes:
  • Surge Shield;
  • Surge Wave.
Which of them has their own usages, such as mobility and defense. As so, I would suggest new controls for this move in order for it to be more fluid.

Name: Surge;
Controls: Look at a water source, select your Surge binded slot and hold shift.
  • Water or Ice as a source:
    • Surge Shield: While holding shift, drag your cursor and the water would follow it. You can move the water wherever you want, in a pre-determined radius. For it to work well as a shield, you would want it to be between you and what you want to protect from.
      The Surge Shield would be as big as the amount of water around the source you selected. if it has more than 5 blocks of water or ice around the block you selected, the water shield would be a 4x4 wave, which is always connected to the original source. That way, you can't drag it too far from the source or the water would collapse. Also, because the amount of water being moved is great, fluid moves would be required. If the waterbender decides to move suddenly, the water would collapse, as seen in "ATLA", when Katara tried to move amounts of water with abruptiness. If, on the other hand, the waterbender decides that the water should be cut off its source, he would tap shift once first, then drag the water.
    • Surge Wave: Still while holding shift, you can click to shoot a wave of water in the direction you were looking at. The Surge Wave would be created after the Surge Shield, so if you want a big wave, look up, then click. The tallest the waves, the less they would travel. If you want to ride a wave (like Katara did in the Crystal Catacombs), get in the water, make a wave under you as in Surge Shield and shoot it in the direction you want to go. Remember: the more taller it is, the shorter would be the distance crossed.
      To shoot the wave connected to the water source, you must click while shifting. If it is the case to shoot the wave away from the source, click twice and the wave would follow its path, pushing everything. If the wave that is connected to the source has its root cut, the wave would clash to the ground, smashing and knockbacking entities, unless the wave is being rode. That way, the wave would keep going, pushing everything with it, and would slowly decay. If the waterbender stops sneaking, the water would spalsh the ground as the example given previously.
  • Bottles as sources:
    • Surge Shield: (the same controls as the example above)
      This shield would be smaller, 2x2 if bent from one bottles, 3x3 if bent from two or more bottles, and it would be draggable to everywhere.
    • Surge Wave: Still while holding shift, you would click to shoot the water in the direction you were looking. Unlike the the current Surge, it wouldn't be influenced by the Moon. It would be way smaller with less knockback. This wave can't be rode.
      This wave would be smaller, similar to the WaterManipulation looks, except being more thicker in the front. The knockback and size would be determined by the amount of bottles in the waterbender's inventory. If he only has one bottle, the water would be like WaterManipulation, a bit longer, and the knockback would be like seven blocks. If the waterbender has more than one water bottles, the wave would be bigger, a hopper-like WaterManipulation, that would provoque 12 blocks of knockback.

Notes: As you may note, the knockback was nerfed in the bottlebending situation. I did in order to give a touch of realism to the water technique. Because of that, I would suggest Surge to account wall damage. Another thing that wasn't mentioned here on purpose was the freezing functions of Surge. They would have their own "combo" versions, where PhaseChange comes in and freezes every water, by still shifting at your Surge Shield and clicking with PhaseChange. Unfortunely, I have to say that remote freezing with Surge Wave was way too overpowered, in the sense that you are freezing someone/something in a giant ice sphere with the minimum effort. That would be removed and/or later turned into a combo.

I hope you liked it! Feedback, even if it is offensive, unnecessary or spam, is appreciated (at least, by me xD)

Taiko.
I like it, though one thing I'd like to point out is that currently, surge shield when in it's ice form, basically denies every fire move and I think nearly every earth move, so I'd recommend a way to "break" the shield of ice with powerful attack moves, like earthsmash or lightning...

promancer

Verified Member
I like it, though one thing I'd like to point out is that currently, surge shield when in it's ice form, basically denies every fire move and I think nearly every earth move, so I'd recommend a way to "break" the shield of ice with powerful attack moves, like earthsmash or lightning...
Like icewall? I think this function would be great, but maybe have durability per move instead of a one hit shield.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Back to topic, Surge is powerfull..Unless you noob at it then ofcourse it isn't ,because you don't know how to control it.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Like icewall? I think this function would be great, but maybe have durability per move instead of a one hit shield.
I was thinking of durability actually. Having a 1 hit shield I feel would be a bit dumb (even though it is realistic) if the rest of these new features were implemented since the function of actually getting the shield would be different. So for example, for ice shield, it could be 3 charged fireblasts- breakage. But the water shield could be 5 charged fireblasts for breakage (or even having it immune to fire attacks)

HydroMan

Verified Member
Another thing that wasn't mentioned here on purpose was the freezing functions of Surge. They would have their own "combo" versions, where PhaseChange comes in and freezes every water, by still shifting at your Surge Shield and clicking with PhaseChange. Unfortunely, I have to say that remote freezing with Surge Wave was way too overpowered, in the sense that you are freezing someone/something in a giant ice sphere with the minimum effort. That would be removed and/or later turned into a combo.
I would agree on this. PhaseChange has its own purpose - to freeze things, so it should.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
Back to topic, Surge is powerfull..Unless you noob at it then ofcourse it isn't ,because you don't know how to control it.
I think I have to disagree with you in this topic xD In the show, Surge was a wave, not a random wall of water you could use to scale walls, put on your feet to land safely, or use it to cool lava without water to be lost. It may seem it is powerful, such as using a Surge from a tall grass block wich would knockback everything in the radius of 18 blocks, but what can you do when you need to launch a wave like in the show? WaterFlow? Creating waves should be the main function of Surge.

HydroMan

Verified Member
Funny enough, I found almost everything that you suggest for (this or these?) changes are already suggested by me, lolol.

Status
Not open for further replies.