• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion SpiritFlight

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Hi all,

This is a straightforward ability for both light and dark spirits.

A lot of spirits were shown to be able to fly, with grace and great ease. How could this be implemented without making it OP, like you just have fly enabled as a standard passive? My god, imagine.

No, I had something different in mind: when you bind the move, you will be able to fly like you normally would in creative gamemode, but only when you have the slot selected. Moreover, if any, ANY items would be put in that slot, it wouldn't work. This is to prevent armoured players killing people with diamond god swords whilst flying. So, you'll only be able to fly with the slot selected, and you'll immidiately lose the ability to fly as soon as you switch slots. This is so that you can only use this to evade. To show spiritual alignment, (a term I thought I'd never use,) the flying player would be surrounded with yellow/white particles, or black/purple particles.

If creative gamemode flight seems a bit OP, we could change it so that as soon as you'd start flying, you'd launch you in the direction you are looking at, and after the initial launch it'd be as fast as air/waterspout, without (or with?) the height restriction. Just, pls, no spiritspout.

I thought the flight should be mostly unrestricted, as that's what you see in the show. (Of course, not making it OP in combination with other moves, or items like armour or swords) if a "flying/gliding" move is ever to be implemented for spirits, which I'd say is quite likely to happen, I'd just like it to not be another spout move. pls.

Agree? Disagree? Do share your opinion.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Personally, I like the idea of flight - it makes sense. Perhaps a way it could seem more balanced is if they had to "charge" the ability. So what I mean to not make it instant, where they have to hold sneak, then, after about 5 seconds (default) they also get their spirit particles around them which would indicate they could fly by double jumping. Additionally, when their feet touch a surface the ability would be negated, and would require holding sneak again to activate the ability.

I think it should definitely be faster than WaterSpout/AirSpout; moving that slowly would destroy a lot of its practicality, I think.

This was a debatable one to me, but I think it would definitely help balance things out: The spirit would only be able to fly when in better conditions. If they are above 3 hearts they would be able to fly with no limitations; if they are under 3 hearts they are weak and can only muster the strength to hover a few blocks above the ground (hover height configurable).

The one thing I really want to for spirits is for them to be iconic. Their characteristics are different from that of benders. Their abilities are different from that of benders. I think a carefully thought out selection of abilities should be distributed to the spirits. I believe the gameplay, the way they generally use their abilities and their style of combat to greatly different from others in most ways. They really fall into their own league, and I think that is something that should be respected.

Last edited:

Moonelight

Verified Member
Makes sense for flying, but in a Minecraft sense it just might not work. Maybe an option to turn it off?
Every spirit was able to fly, and the flying I liked best was the dogs that Korra rode up to the golden dragon.
(Couldn't find a gif...)
But my point is that maybe you shouldn't be able to fly forever? As being able to flee from fights and abuse the power could become common. It needs some work, because in my opinion it it just like all the Zaheer suggestions, without being able to switch slots.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Makes sense for flying, but in a Minecraft sense it just might not work. Maybe an option to turn it off?
Every spirit was able to fly, and the flying I liked best was the dogs that Korra rode up to the golden dragon.
(Couldn't find a gif...)
But my point is that maybe you shouldn't be able to fly forever? As being able to flee from fights and abuse the power could become common. It needs some work, because in my opinion it it just like all the Zaheer suggestions, without being able to switch slots.
Naturally the ability would be configurable and have a permission node.

Moonelight

Verified Member
Maybe if you press shift, You can fly for 6 seconds, with a cooldown of 15 seconds?
Spirits were able to fly for more than 6 seconds and command it at any given time.
This suggestion is one of those that may never get accepted and may never be decided if it should or not.

Some spirits even flew eternally

Joeri

Verified Member
Spirits were able to fly for more than 6 seconds and command it at any given time.
This suggestion is one of those that may never get accepted and may never be decided if it should or not.

I know, they also are shown to attack while flying, But that would just be OP as fck

Kwesi

Verified Member

There could be a configurable time limit to the duration of the ability, default 30 seconds or something.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
and if... when you are flying you can only use melee attacks and abilitys?
To prevent people from abusing it, you can't switch slots to use other abilities, or you'll stop flying. Perhaps it will not work when wearing armour too, I imagine that'd all be configurable.
Maybe if you press shift, You can fly for 6 seconds, with a cooldown of 15 seconds?
You just described a more terrible version of FireJet. That's not what it should be.

That being said, I don't find it OP at all. You can fly without limit, but can't use items like blocks or swords. Purely evasive. Air's AirBlast is faster, and you can use abilities when using that. If it really is that OP, perhaps a minor height limit, but the same speed and mobility creative flight has. I feel like it wouldn't properly reflect the spirit's ability to fly if a Jet would be implemented, or a Spout. In the end, this ability would be just as good as FireJet or AirBlast, if not, worse. Not being able to attack is kinda huge.

Kwesi

Verified Member
To prevent people from abusing it, you can't switch slots to use other abilities, or you'll stop flying. Perhaps it will not work when wearing armour too, I imagine that'd all be configurable.
I like the armour idea, but I don't think it should inhibit the ability that much; I think my hovering idea could work in that situation.

vidant829

Verified Member
Just a quick I had was if instead of it directly giving you the ability to fly directly, the move when left clicked will launch the spirit using in the their desired direction. By continuing to use left click the spirit will begin to accelerate faster up to a configurable element and by shifting, they will have an abrupt stop as the began to hover in the air but still retain their past acceleration.

This way spirits in game will actually be able to mimic the abnormal movement pattern of the actual spirits themselves in The Legend of Korra while still being fairly balanced since it would take great timing to land a hit while moving at immense at speeds even when using ranged moves. Though if needed to further balance this, armor unless leather could take away the acceleration factor.
(This is based off of the comments I've been reading.)

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Just a quick I had was if instead of it directly giving you the ability to fly directly, the move when left clicked will launch the spirit using in the their desired direction. By continuing to use left click the spirit will begin to accelerate faster up to a configurable element and by shifting, they will have an abrupt stop as the began to hover in the air but still retain their past acceleration.

This way spirits in game will actually be able to mimic the abnormal movement pattern of the actual spirits themselves in The Legend of Korra while still being fairly balanced since it would take great timing to land a hit while moving at immense at speeds even when using ranged moves. Though if needed to further balance this, armor unless leather could take away the acceleration factor.
(This is based off of the comments I've been reading.)
I actually like that, as it resembles their abnormal movements more accurately. Great idea!

Just for the sake of clarity though; with the move you'd be launched into whatever direction you click in, and holding shift makes you stop, retaining their momentum for when they release shift? I imagine you could hold shift anyway, to prevent falling from great heights, making them stand still in the air at will. I also imagine there'd be plenty of particles, showing that they don't hack, as well as their alignment.
I believe it shouldn't have a cooldown or anything, simply because you can't "properly" control it to be very combat effective.

I like the armour idea, but I don't think it should inhibit the ability that much; I think my hovering idea could work in that situation.
And I agree completely. I just want the move to be good and as unrestricted in movement as possible without any cooldowns or wachamabobs, so I figured restricting it to be solely evasive would make it not as OP as it might seem.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I actually like that, as it resembles their abnormal movements more accurately. Great idea!

Just for the sake of clarity though; with the move you'd be launched into whatever direction you click in, and holding shift makes you stop, retaining their momentum for when they release shift? I imagine you could hold shift anyway, to prevent falling from great heights, making them stand still in the air at will. I also imagine there'd be plenty of particles, showing that they don't hack, as well as their alignment.
I believe it shouldn't have a cooldown or anything, simply because you can't "properly" control it to be very combat effective.

And I agree completely. I just want the move to be good and as unrestricted in movement as possible without any cooldowns or wachamabobs, so I figured restricting it to be solely evasive would make it not as OP as it might seem.
Yes, I agree with you regarding the restrictions. To tell the truth, with @vidant829 's suggestion restrictions wouldn't really be needed. It would require timing, attention, it wouldn't be combat effective, and it would not restrict movements, so it seems like it all works out balance wise.