• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Server Owner's - We're a community

Loony

Verified Member
Evening all,
I want to discuss something that's annoyed me for a very long time.

For some reason, server owners (not all, but some) have an issue with helping each other. It's like you get the feeling that if you help someone else, all your player base will disappear and go to the person who you helped. Thinking like this is backwards logic.
For example, in the past, I've asked a server owner what plugin they use for a specific thing, let's say what warning plugin they have. They wouldn't tell me. I didn't understand why they wouldn't tell me the name of the warning plugin they used, it's not like I'm copying their server, just interested in using the same public plugin that would benefit my server. It doesn't make any difference to them if I use the same warning plugin as them.

None of us know how to do every single thing when it comes to a server - it's a learning experience. So why not help out other server owners when we can? Not only does it form a mutual friendship that will help each other out when needed, but it's bettering our server's.

I always try to help out server owner's whenever I can, because if I hadn't had the help from other server owner's my server would probably be a lot worse than it is now.
We're a community, we should help each other. We don't have to hate all other server owner's for no apparent reason, simply because they also have a bending server. Sharing information, helping one another isn't going to make your players go to another server. Each server is unique and that's why your player base is there. Let's stop acting like children and get over our stubbornness and ego.

That's all I've got to say.
- feel free to comment your opinion on the matter.

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I completely agree with this as well. Full support. It's a real shame some server owners do this, especially when it can be such a great opportunity to both their servers to grow as you said.

Plus working together does nothing but help you both, so why wouldn't you? And if you're that upset about other servers stealing your players then why are you hosting a server in the first place? In my opinion, you should be hosting it because you WANT to, not because you want to have the best server! ;D (That's just a bonus ;) )

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
I have an idea! Everybody always has that one plugin that has nothing to do with the server, but just something the admins play with. Lets all confess our guilty pleasures as an icebreaker!

Mine was a Tardis plugin that I used as an Admin-House and a better method of arriving than just TPing.

Loony

Verified Member
I have an idea! Everybody always has that one plugin that has nothing to do with the server, but just something the admins play with. Lets all confess our guilty pleasures as an icebreaker!

Mine was a Tardis plugin that I used as an Admin-House and a better method of arriving than just TPing.
TARDIS PLUGIN????? LINK ME!!!!!
I don't actually have a guilty plugin that I play with. I need one tbh >.>

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

I used to have a fancy NBT plugin that let me spawn in custom items for my own personal use. Was pretty fun :p I also use to have signs in my house with special commands bound to them that let me to do stuff quickly xD

(This was back before 1.7 as well, so NBT editing back then was impossible without a plugin or an editor)

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
TARDIS PLUGIN????? LINK ME!!!!!
I don't actually have a guilty plugin that I play with. I need one tbh >.>
Loony I'd love to, but unfortunately it only works on 1.7.10. I said I used to use it. But I do still have a server set up for when I want to play on it.

Loony

Verified Member
Loony I'd love to, but unfortunately it only works on 1.7.10. I said I used to use it. But I do still have a server set up for when I want to play on it.
DOWNGRADING MY SERVER TO 1.7.0
GETTING ORION'S PLUGIN
I DON'T CARE IF THINGS BRAKE, I HAVE TARDISES

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I remember you saying in the shoutbox you had a city like arena, with buildings representing other servers. The bigger the server the bigger the building etc. But you also said you made most of the buildings falling apart, burning, etc. Such as Jed's server, and others. I've not seen it for myself yet but I assume you weren't lying about it.

Loony

Verified Member
I remember you saying in the shoutbox you had a city like arena, with buildings representing other servers. The bigger the server the bigger the building etc. But you also said you made most of the buildings falling apart, burning, etc. Such as Jed's server, and others. I've not seen it for myself yet but I assume you weren't lying about it.
No, I said I was making a mob arena with a city theme and the buildings represented a server. Dead servers that don't exist anymore have crumbled, along with a few servers that I hate and have had issues with. :p
That's really a joke tho, nothing about helping out other servers. Honestly, it's free promotion

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
No, I said I was making a mob arena with a city theme and the buildings represented a server. Dead servers that don't exist anymore have crumbled, along with a few servers that I hate and have had issues with. :p
That's really a joke tho, nothing about helping out other servers. Honestly, it's free promotion
I see. The post seemed a bit hypocritical at first, but I understand now, lol. xD

MIsty

Verified Member
Loony thank you for standing up to unite us!

I agree with you completely. (Ive never owned a server before)
I have friends who have, but they have never experienced PK before.
So tho we might be savvy in a few areas, we are not completely familiar with PK and what the story line behind it is when it comes to moves and games.

While I think the initial 'I don't want to give away my secrets' complex comes from that of a place of insecurity there is a common ground we all share and if we respect and help each other we all will succeed!

I can happily say now Loony and I are mutual friends with mutual respect and support for each others servers! I look forward to getting to know the rest of the PK community so we can all strive to be the best mine craft servers together!

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
To me, this is one of the most important ideologies regarding a project like this. If all information is publicized then all finding become advancements for the entire community rather then a select few. We are actively striving to improve the plugin and our community, which is made up of so many, fantastic, small communities, plays a major, active role in that process. It is completely necessary to maintain that, as well as further the effort and the positive attitudes throughout the community towards others.

Sketz

Verified Member
This is just a personal opinion of mine, that I would like to say. You may disagree but I'm just stating how I feel about this.
Some owners do this because they would like their server to be unique from other servers, even if the plugin they use is public.

The warning plugin I wouldn't have such a big deal about. Some people call this leeching.
I don't think I would have a big issue with this since I've made a plugin very related to my old servers plugin for someone before.

I liked seeing my work on another server, but on mine, it was still a bit different.
It's not that we're trying to be greedy and hog everything to ourselves or server, but make our server unique and different.

Plugins that would make their server better for their players and community, whether it's a plugin that helps make your server look better or manages control on your server, to other types of plugins. Some people won't want you to have the same plugin because their server feels less unique to them.

This is probably why some server owners do this.
Like I said, this is just my opinion.