• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied New lava move: LavaBubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Lava is supposed to be unique, and not a straight rip off from other elements
The move is now different from waterbubble/airbubble in many ways. Also lavabending is one of those elements that has a same style as water, so some of the moves will be similar in ways, plus it isn't ripping off from another move, it is just being logical.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Lava is supposed to be unique, and not a straight rip off from other elements
I see your point, but in other ways I disagree. Lava does indeed have unique properties, but also shares properties with other elements. Lava is a substance that flows and with that logic this ability make sense and would be incredibly useful.

You did, however, put an idea in my head: a way this ability could have its own behaviour that would be unique compared to WaterBubble and AirBubble and still retain its useful functions:

The name I have given the idea in my head is LavaPush. It would work similarly to LavaBubble but instead of pushing the lava out spherically it would only the lava out in front of the bender. Just like LavaBubble, as the player moves or deactivates the ability (same controls) the lava would slowly cave in.

This ability would not be as fluid as WaterBubble or AirBubble and would require a lot of caution. When turning sharply there would be lava very close to them so they must wait until LavaPush has cleared away enough lava to advance; they won't receive the same all-around protection LavaBubble would give them, but as long as they hold sneak they don't have to worry about being caught, it's just about careful movement.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I see your point, but in other ways I disagree. Lava does indeed have unique properties, but also shares properties with other elements. Lava is a substance that flows and with that logic this ability make sense and would be incredibly useful.

You did, however, put an idea in my head: a way this ability could have its own behaviour that would be unique compared to WaterBubble and AirBubble and still retain its useful functions:

The name I have given the idea in my head is LavaPush. It would work similarly to LavaBubble but instead of pushing the lava out spherically it would only the lava out in front of the bender. Just like LavaBubble, as the player moves or deactivates the ability (same controls) the lava would slowly cave in.

This ability would not be as fluid as WaterBubble or AirBubble and would require a lot of caution. When turning sharply there would be lava very close to them so they must wait until LavaPush has cleared away enough lava to advance; they won't receive the same all-around protection LavaBubble would give them, but as long as they hold sneak they don't have to worry about being caught, it's just about careful movement.
I'll update the post, but i wanna see what other people think.

Joeri

Verified Member
The move is now different from waterbubble/airbubble in many ways. Also lavabending is one of those elements that has a same style as water, so some of the moves will be similar in ways, plus it isn't ripping off from another move, it is just being logical.
Well it was hard to tell how it was different as you have no screenshots, or information about the move.

Last edited:

Arcanishift

Verified Member
That would be wierd. But i find lava bubble an interesting move. Lets wait and see which character does it first in the anime.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Use 3:
When an airbender blasts you of a cliff, straight above a lava pool, what about using this move to make sure you don't fall into the lava?
Use 4:
Hiding from ghasts in the nether.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Use 3:
When an airbender blasts you of a cliff, straight above a lava pool, what about using this move to make sure you don't fall into the lava?
Use 4:
Hiding from ghasts in the nether.
The ability will have more and more uses and players begin to apply to numerous situations, which does a good job of justifying this ability.

DanStryder

Verified Member
I would really like to see this ability added to core as it would lava a more utility usage too, beside lavaflow cooling lava in cave systems

Kwesi

Verified Member
I would really like to see this ability added to core as it would lava a more utility usage too, beside lavaflow cooling lava in cave systems
True. Lavabending may be rather offensive due to lava's extreme heat but controlling lava doesn't have to be like a one-string banjo. If there is flexibility within a bending discipline then it should be utilised, that would do it justice.

DanStryder

Verified Member
True. Lavabending may be rather offensive due to lava's extreme heat but controlling lava doesn't have to be like a one-string banjo. If there is flexibility within a bending discipline then it should be utilised, that would do it justice.
Exactly, there's flexibility in standard earth bending so why should one of it's subs be treated any differently

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
You do have a chance of dying using waterbubble or airbubble, but the chance of dying with lavabubble is much higher. I don't like the idea of having a similar ability for water, air, and maybe soon to come lava.
That's the risk of lava bending. It is quite dangerous...

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member

I'd support that move over this one. I'm relatively skeptical of this move because you never really see lavabenders hold the lava in place for too long, like with water. It always seems more something that they only bend for as long as they have to, then immediately relinquish control. Probably due to the fact that it can kill them. Also, air bubble and water bubble somewhat make sense, but wouldn't any air in your lava bubble quickly burn off? And the heat from being surrounded on all sides by lava might just kill you. Even being a cartoon, Avatar is fairly realistic about what should and shouldn't kill you.

DanStryder

Verified Member
I'd support that move over this one. I'm relatively skeptical of this move because you never really see lavabenders hold the lava in place for too long, like with water. It always seems more something that they only bend for as long as they have to, then immediately relinquish control. Probably due to the fact that it can kill them. Also, air bubble and water bubble somewhat make sense, but wouldn't any air in your lava bubble quickly burn off? And the heat from being surrounded on all sides by lava might just kill you. Even being a cartoon, Avatar is fairly realistic about what should and shouldn't kill you.
That a fair point about the heat killing you... but saying that, Bolin is able to stand fairly close to the lava he creates, when he escapes from the earth nation and attacked by the other rebels, he displays his lava bending and the distance between the rebels and the lava and bolin and the lava is probably within 2 metres tops, in MC it's said that a block is 1 cubic metre.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
That a fair point about the heat killing you... but saying that, Bolin is able to stand fairly close to the lava he creates, when he escapes from the earth nation and attacked by the other rebels, he displays his lava bending and the distance between the rebels and the lava and bolin and the lava is probably within 2 metres tops, in MC it's said that a block is 1 cubic metre.
Fair point, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.