• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Maelstorm - Waterbending Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Verified Member
Quote - Maelstrom: In a large body of water, a waterbender can create a gigantic whirlpool. This technique was executed by Aang and Katara while fighting the serpent.[27]

Description - This combo would create giant whirlpool that would suck anything in its range towards the center. It can allow a waterbender to trap something or someone in water. You can use this to buy yourself time or keep them from escaping.
Combo: WaterManipulation (Shift) > Torrent (Shift) > Torrent (Hold Shift).
How long will it last? When the player stops shifting or time runs out.

How is this not OP?
  • You cannot hold it forever.
  • You cannot attack while holding it.
  • Decent size cooldown.
How is this useful?
  • Trap your foes and woes.
  • Buy time.
  • Hold them in place for another attack.
  • Left click to freeze them in the pool.

Last edited:

jedk1

This already exists in jedcore and no one uses it. Soooo what makes you think ppl would use this?

Hero

Verified Member
This already exists in jedcore and no one uses it. Soooo what makes you think ppl would use this?
Well this is ProjectKorra, not JedCore. That is your move that no one uses, not mine. Annnnnd do you even consider it's because its buggy and small?

jedk1

the concept is there and it does what its meant to do, even if it wasnt buggy, would anyone still use it?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
This honestly has very little practical use in minecraft. Nobody really goes in a large body of water where this move would be used.

Hero

Verified Member
the concept is there and it does what its meant to do, even if it wasnt buggy, would anyone still use it?
Like a movie, the plot will be there but will anyone want to watch the plot but in a different way?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Like a movie, the plot will be there but will anyone want to watch the plot but in a different way?
I don't see how you can do the ability much different. Make a whirlpool that sucks up players, not much to change.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
  • Left click to freeze them in the pool.
That's illogical. Freezing a whirlpool would take very low temperatures because the water molecules are moving around randomly so fast, you have to slow them in the process of freezing.

Hero

Verified Member
That's illogical. Freezing a whirlpool would take very low temperatures because the water molecules are moving around randomly so fast, you have to slow them in the process of freezing.
Are you seriously bringing science into a plugin that involves humans bending the elements? News flash: It's a game.

I got this from the Avatar Wiki and that's enough proof its canon. I describe what it would do and showed enough evidence why it should be looked into. I named the reasons why it was useful and why it is not over powering or under powering. I even proved it a real move in an already existing extension of the main plugin only my suggestion is improving on it.

This thread isn't about the scientific reasoning behind freezing something in a whirlpool. This is about seeing whether it's going to get looked into or denied for legitimate reason. If you want to talk about science, go to science class.

Hero

Verified Member
Oh and explain why freezing a whirlpool is illogical while Katara froze Zuko in a ball of rushing waters in the Spirit Oasis. Or how you can freeze surge, something that is the nearly the same as a giant wave. Don't forget about Torrent, a stream of rushing water, turns into a ball when frozen.

Last edited:

jedk1

my point still stands, that this exists, and no one uses, because its just faster to do other stuff. :p

Hero

Verified Member
my point still stands, that this exists, and no one uses, because its just faster to do other stuff. :p
Probably the only one with logical reasoning. I think it should still be considered because it's not taking up a slot since it's a combo and it would give players the opinion to trap people in water if they are inside a lake or something in that context.

jedk1

Okay, but seeing as the only place something like this would be able to prove slightly useful is a lake or big body of water, the only people you would be trapping is other water benders, who could just fast swim out of it or something.

On the off chance that there is a different type of bender out in the middle of a lake who cant use any ability to quickly get away (i.e. airspout) then MAYBE just MAYBE this could be useful for sucking them down. But then thats it, they just get sucked down, and can swim away. It is a good concept idea, but in practice, its just easier to use torrent and freeze them.

Hero

Verified Member
Okay, but seeing as the only place something like this would be able to prove slightly useful is a lake or big body of water, the only people you would be trapping is other water benders, who could just fast swim out of it or something.

On the off chance that there is a different type of bender out in the middle of a lake who cant use any ability to quickly get away (i.e. airspout) then MAYBE just MAYBE this could be useful for sucking them down. But then thats it, they just get sucked down, and can swim away. It is a good concept idea, but in practice, its just easier to use torrent and freeze them.
You can actually force alot of people into water with surge or waterflow if they have it enabled. And the ability isn't for sucking people down (since it would be only apply able to deep lakes), it mainly for sucking them in towards the center so it's more of a horizontal radius rather than vertical. With the added effect of being able to freeze them in place, you can trap them for a longer period of time. Allowing you to do other moves like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.