• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Lavabending defensive move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
So there have been a lot of moves be suggested for lavabending that have been mainly offensive. So I take a new style on; Defensive Move.
Name: Lava Wall (if you can think of a better name please suggest it)
Element: Earth/Lava
Description: The name of the move will probably throw you off, but the move I'm suggesting is a lavabender holds shift and at a certain radius all around that player, a wall of lava goes up to keep people away. The lava height should be configurable, the radius of the lava from the player should be configurable, the width of the lava doesn't need to be configurable (I suggest 2 to 4 blocks width). It should also be that if the player clicks, the lava turns to dirt or obsidian, and vice-versa. The player has to keep holding shift until they want to let the lava go back down, and after they let go of shift, a ring of lava stays there for a few seconds in case anyone trys to get to the player (should be configurable to true or false).
Newly Added: A configurable amount of time for how long the lava stays up, and then slowly goes down.
Update: I have come back and thought of some stuff to add and mention about the move.
--Charge time: this would be very much like how lavaflow charges, probably a shorter time though.I'd say 1.5 seconds (configurable).
--Cooldown: To balance it out, there should be a cooldown of 3 seconds (configurable)
--Damage: Using the move would not do damage, but the move would have regular lava damage if a person ran into it.
--Morphing: What I mean by this is the cooling of lava to make earth/heating of earth to make lava. Each would have it's own after effect. If you let go of shift while it is still lava, the lava will slowly go down, then leave a ring of lava where the wall was for 3 seconds (configurable), and the lava ring can be cooled with heatcontrol/lavaflow, whereas the lava itself while upright cannot. If the player lets go of shift while the lava has been turned to earth, he earth will stay where it is like how it does with earthgrab.

Thank you for reading. I love how so many people are suggesting stuff, so keep posting ideas for it.

Last edited:

Kwesi

Verified Member
So there have been a lot of moves be suggested for lavabending that have been mainly offensive. So I take a new style on; Defensive Move.
The name of the move will probably throw you off, but the move I'm suggesting is a lavabender holds shift and at a certain radius all around that player, a wall of lava goes up to keep people away. The lava height should be configurable, the radius of the lava from the player should be configurable, the width of the lava doesn't need to be configurable (I suggest 2 to 4 blocks width). It should also be that if the player clicks, the lava turns to dirt or obsidian, and vice-versa. The player has to keep holding shift until they want to let the lava go back down, and after they let go of shift, a ring of lava stays there for a few seconds in case anyone trys to get to the player (should be configurable to true or false). Thank you for reading
I was kind of sceptical at first about a defensive lavabending ability...but I think this would work. It seems logical, and the player's holding sneak would be like pulling the lava back into the wall to keep its form, since it's always flowing. The cooling would allow a constant lavabending defense... Well - it makes sense to be part of the feature, and I suppose it'll just be earth in that case so it wouldn't pose the same harm. I guess is all balances out: harmful but must be maintained or constant but harmless. Yeah... I'm for it. :)

Kwesi

Verified Member
FireShield barely stops anything. WallofFire is a firebenders only befensive move. Earthbenders allredy have RaiseEarth and EarthGrab wich make a pretty strong defence.
Even if FireShield is not the most defensive ability in the world it would still count, wouldn't it? I mean, it has defensive functions, and if you use it at the right time its defense is fairly effective.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
Even if FireShield is not the most defensive ability in the world it would still count, wouldn't it? I mean, it has defensive functions, and if you use it at the right time its defense is fairly effective.
I guess that it would count but the main problem that I find is that it would mimic surge again. Lava surge was like water surge except it didn't have the "water wall" thing.
By adding this it would come back to the hole copy paste moves from one element to another. Also don't forget that the majority of servers have earthsmash witch has a similar effect like what White_Knight28 is saying except it uses solid earth not lava.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I guess that it would count but the main problem that I find is that it would mimic surge again. Lava surge was like water surge except it didn't have the "water wall" thing.
By adding this it would come back to the hole copy paste moves from one element to another. Also don't forget that the majority of servers have earthsmash witch has a similar effect like what White_Knight28 is saying except it uses solid earth not lava.
By the seems of the effect I assumed @White_Knight28 was actually describing a completely separate ability from that of LavaSurge (but oh my gosh, I know what you mean). It's definitely best to avoid similar moves that way, but the form of the wall greatly differs from most other defenses.

Kwesi

Verified Member
The name of the move will probably throw you off, but the move I'm suggesting is a lavabender holds shift and at a certain radius all around that player, a wall of lava goes up to keep people away. The lava height should be configurable, the radius of the lava from the player should be configurable, the width of the lava doesn't need to be configurable (I suggest 2 to 4 blocks width). It should also be that if the player clicks, the lava turns to dirt or obsidian, and vice-versa. The player has to keep holding shift until they want to let the lava go back down, and after they let go of shift, a ring of lava stays there for a few seconds in case anyone trys to get to the player (should be configurable to true or false). Thank you for reading
Okay, after evaluating this suggestion my thoughts have kind gone this way about it: Controlling the flow of lava seems more strenuous for lavabenders, especially compared to the flow of water. The lava is thicker and heavier. If this LavaWall ability would be accuracy I think it would need a set duration (configurable) for which the ability can be used (perhaps about 10 seconds default). This would equate to lavabenders holding its form long enough for it to be effective, but not too long as to strain themselves from holding back the natural flow of molten rock. The volume of lava being manipulated in this ability is larger than any other ability suggested (given the description), so it needs its limits. Also, naturally, the height of the wall shouldn't be that great given my point (maybe 4-5 blocks default). The lava slowly going down I can agree with.

There's going to be this controversy when it comes to defensive lavabending. It is logical to assume defensive lavabending is possible, but I don't think it would be easy, and it would be limited. Lava is oriented to offense, but maybe ONE defensive ability could work.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Lava already has a defensive ability: LavaFlow, it doesnt need another one.
Hm...Lavaflow is the fundamental lavabending ability, and I suppose it does have defensive functions. I mean, I see your point, and don't feel this ability is essential or required, but I can see its reason for implementation, and there is logic to justify its legitimacy.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
A .... almost every airbender can use airblast to push the earthbender into its own lava, it just keeps the player away + you are vulnerable to every bending move as they are all projectile type attacks.

V

Vidcom

Lava DOES have some weak defense against other lavabenders, that being LavaFlow (you can solidify lava). Besides that, just use regular Earth moves, since Earth is a fairly defensive element currently

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Lava is offensive just like Fire, it's not supposed to have defensive moves
Don't be so non-accepting of defensive lava moves. Nothing is bad about defense, and it doesn't really matter if lava is an "offensive' style of bending to you. In the show I can count it being used more times for defense than offense. And in my opinion, Lavabending is one of those elements that is in between offense and defense.
Okay, after evaluating this suggestion my thoughts have kind gone this way about it: Controlling the flow of lava seems more strenuous for lavabenders, especially compared to the flow of water. The lava is thicker and heavier. If this LavaWall ability would be accuracy I think it would need a set duration (configurable) for which the ability can be used (perhaps about 10 seconds default). This would equate to lavabenders holding its form long enough for it to be effective, but not too long as to strain themselves from holding back the natural flow of molten rock. The volume of lava being manipulated in this ability is larger than any other ability suggested (given the description), so it needs its limits. Also, naturally, the height of the wall shouldn't be that great given my point (maybe 4-5 blocks default). The lava slowly going down I can agree with. There's going to be this controversy when it comes to defensive lavabending. It is logical to assume defensive lavabending is possible, but I don't think it would be easy, and it would be limited. Lava is oriented to offense, but maybe ONE defensive ability could work.
I agree with this. I will add it to the main post and update the format of it to make reading and understanding it easier.
By the seems of the effect I assumed @White_Knight28 was actually describing a completely separate ability from that of LavaSurge (but oh my gosh, I know what you mean). It's definitely best to avoid similar moves that way, but the form of the wall greatly differs from most other defenses.
Yes I was describing an entirely separate move. I was not trying to mimic any other move. I really don't think earthsmash has a similar effect to what I am describing. Although I do not believe I have seen it.

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
Okay to make things clear I was not saying that White_Knight28 was describing EarthSmash. I was saying that he was describing Water Surge you know when you hold on shift and a wall of water forms and if you click it turn in to ice. I mentioned EarthSmash just because you can hold shift and move it around as well.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Okay to make things clear I was not saying that White_Knight28 was describing EarthSmash. I was saying that he was describing Water Surge you know when you hold on shift and a wall of water forms and if you click it turn in to ice. I mentioned EarthSmash just because you can hold shift and move it around as well.
I was aware you were referring to surge wall function, don't worry.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
To get this point across, I was not describing a move similar to surge shield. This is a circular wall of lava all the way around you.

David

Verified Member
Also, if you really wanted to... You could just use Raise Earth then Melt your Raise Earth with Lava Flow or use the addon (I think it's add-on) ability, Eruption to make it a wall of lava.

V

Vidcom

Also, if you really wanted to... You could just use Raise Earth then Melt your Raise Earth with Lava Flow or use the addon (I think it's add-on) ability, Eruption to make it a wall of lava.
LavaFlow works purely in horizontal, not vertical, directions, so this doesn't work with LavaFlow :C

Status
Not open for further replies.