• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Ice should not freeze while it is in control by a waterbender or smth

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I like to use torrent, blasting it with a freeze infront of myself forming an icedome for cover from the attacks. Surge-Shield requires you to keep steady and stand in one place if trying to not move its position, so that's why I prefer to use torrent method. The Problem is with my newly shielding tactic, is that people can unfreeze it. This brings me to requesting this principle for waterbending.

If the waterbender holds shift with torrent/surge selected, while pointing at the ice he/she created (and pre-existing ice, if you want that too), if won't melt/vapourise/dissapear when another waterbender tries to, until the shift is released. Simple, right?

Why they should beable to ?; Proof? Well, If I not mistaken, waterbenders fighting each other never did unfreeze others frozen shield where by doing so they could easily knock them out without needing to get around the shield/reach the defender. I'm speculating that the attacking waterbender couldn't do that, as the shielder held the freeze active constanly with his/hers focus, sustaining the state of the shield into ice without other changing in. An example of this could be in a fight of Kya vs Ming-Hua, seeing Kya still holding her hands rise up infront of her Ice Wall, retaining it, as so that Ming-Hua wouldn'tt unfreeze. Another theory could be that she still bended it because she wanted to stop it from turning back into water, as losing focus might have result in happening. Either way, no matter if that is the actual case, wouldn't this feature be cool to add, just so as to WHY NOT? :)

Last edited:

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
I agree with you in the way a waterbender may be unable to unfreeze or freeze the ice/water that other waterbender is trying to keep frozen/liquid. This theory lacks support, as there is nothing that proves this is, in fact, valid in the Avatar Universe.

Since the beggining of the show, "Avatar: The Last Airbender", we mostly saw waterbending when comparing to the other bending arts. In some duels, like Katara against her collegue, changing the state of water is mainly important, to produce massive damage or to create great defenses. In this example, we saw how easily Pakku was able to change her water torrent into an ice slide.
Before going into argueing that Pakku is a master and Katara isn't, Katara also did change the state of water:
Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_Season_1_Episode_18_The_Waterbending_Master.gif

Well... this brings us to nowhere... We have no proof that waterbenders aren't able to alter the state of water while other waterbender is focusing in keeping the water in that state.

Pakku could have turned Katara's ice plates into water, and Ming-Hua could even have unfrozen Kya's shield... But if it was that easy, why wouldn't Kya, per example, just bend Ming-Hua's arms? It was an easy way to defeat her...

HydroMan

Verified Member
Well, I was too planning to give an example of waterarms, if someone started the argument "waterbenders can bend already bent water by another bender" . But if my speculation was the case to be false, there would totally be alot of scenarios in the show where waterbender uses the opponents torrent to already attack with its own from distance, shields being blown apart, ect. Ofcourse, this has nothing to do with unfreezing others mentally sustaining liquid state and visa versa, but just giving a worth noticing fact.

If we look in yours carefully, we could see at right before the opponent change the state of water, the bender ended up with a final stop of their hand, meaning that the bender just stopped at the right moment that the changer froze it. Like in the first gif, Katara probably just channel the projectile pathway with short focus and it probably was launch on its own, and she didn't bented it constintly, speculating on how I saw her hand went. Maybe she didn't just thought of sustaining it into water forms, as probably she wasn't expecting pakku to freeze it. Could be the same case for 2 second gif, except that Pakku probably still needed to hold its shape for it not to deform and dripp over/fall.

Like you mention Ming-hua's waterarms, Kya could have just unfrozen her icespears which she isn't that stupid to risk being stab as she could instead already done that. That proofs a little bit as it not easy to unfreeze bendable ice. Just another proof to back up my theory.

Well it is just my speculation, and so all we can rely on this being practical, while I think it is, for it to be consider by team to import it into the plugin.

HydroMan

Verified Member
I assuming Pakku couldn't focus on her ice plates, as they were moving to fast for him and he needed to take action fast to not get hit, or he needed time to do some sort of movement that takes time or both of this conditional were in the way of the success.

Either if it wasn't the case, in game an opponent could easily phasechange each icespike into water. Can you imagine how not fun would it be to attack this? Un-canon and boring. Wait.... I believe I suggested something like this to be implanted. My bad :rolleyes: Smart move to ruin a game aspect for myself even I didn't ask for :D

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
We have actually seen "two waterbenders" bending the same water in different directions, Katara and Aang against Due and Tho, in the swamp. It seems that it is possible to bend the same water someone is already bending, but I think, in my opinion, in order to move water that is already being bent you need an extra bending ability. I'm giving here the example of Amon and Tarrlok. When Tarrlok locks Korra in the metal cage and Amon appears, Tarrlok tries to bloodbend him, but he is uncapable. I believe that Amon was forcing himself to take steps further and also bloodbending himself. It is too radical saying that a bloodbender can bloodbend himself, but if that is the case, we already know that two waterbenders can bend the samw water in different directions, being the strongest waterbender the one who has more influence on the water.

Case 1:
"Amon breaks in the hut"
"Tarrlok is surprised and starts to bloodbend him (probably in a way that Amon's limbs would writhe)"
"Amon, who is physically strong, isn't affected by Tarrlok's bloodbending, although it slows him down"

Case 2:
"Amon breaks in the hut"
"Tarrlok is surprised and starts to bloodbend him (probably in a way that Amon's limbs would writhe)"
"Amon, who is a strong bloodbender, isn't affected by Tarrlok's bloodbending, being himself opposing him with his self bloodbending"

But there is an important lack in this theory, and it was when Katara and Hama fought. Hama was bloodbending Katara, but something broke there: Hama's concentration? Katara was mentally stronger?

HydroMan

Verified Member
You have a point with the swamp scene. Maybe it is because waterbenders couldn't because water was a great distance?

I don't what else to mention to futher add proof, but all I can say is that someone can't bend another already bent water is not entirely true, but depending in what criteria it is used.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Well shifting (sneaking) in the phasechange slot melts ice... So it'd be a bit difficult to melt your own ice with this setup

HydroMan

Verified Member
Well sneaking with surge is how you select the source for the actual surge.. Generally shifting with surge currently removes your old surge ice.
Then remove the function of unfreezing it, and leave phasechange for this job to do. Selecting a source doesn't do much, so it wouldn't conflict much in between holding and tapping shift.

SamuraiSnowman

Verified Member
Then remove the function of unfreezing it, and leave phasechange for this job to do. Selecting a source doesn't do much, so it wouldn't conflict much in between holding and tapping shift.
Well source selection is configurable on bending-made ice - so they could just want to select on that piece of ice

HydroMan

Verified Member
Yea, but nothing happen if you select it. Torrent uses left click and than shift to execute. If you hold shift on ice - nothing would happen. For Surge it is opposite, but still nothing would happen and it being selected by source won't conflict much if you helf shift longer, unless you have a waterbottle and it would get executed, but that I'll leave for another talk to make not work when you are facing an ice/water structure such as wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.