• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fire Jet Ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonelight

Verified Member
I suggest reading the Comments as well as the Forum Post. The comments share a lot of debated ideas that aren't in this thread.

Update 1/20/2015: Thanks @jedk1 for creating the ability!

*Most viewed suggestion on ProjectKorra, 8,000+ views*

"So, recently I thought about a little different version. Staying on topic, I was thinking maybe floating about 2 blocks above the ground going at high speed.

10 second cooldown, and lasts 12 seconds.

[Move located in original Fire Jet bind]
Firejet>
Shift for 3 seconds>
As soon as fire particles appear you let go and go into a burst of speed levitating 1.5 blocks above ground, being able to control where you stop, go, or jump. Lasts 12 seconds. Note: You are able to switch slots so you can continue combat.>
10 Second cooldown

Remember, fire is the element of speed and combat, if this move was slow or nerfed to where you could only use it without being able to use other moves it would have no use.
I'm thinking a good way to implement it would be to be low range/speed up and down, but quick moving sideways. So in the ways air/water spout move at pretty slow rates horizontally but up/down fast this would be the opposite.
It also reflects the nature of the element. Flying with fire is sticking a rocket ship up your a##. You don't have a gentle element like water and air to cradle you, it should feel like it.

Mechanics
basics - So it would hold you 1.5 blocks in the air like an AirScooter that moved at 2/3 FireJet speed horizontally (or for balance sake and to make FireJet still relevant, slightly faster than sprinting) but in whatever direction you moved rather than the direction you faced.

Passive - You would want to have it just automatically raise 1 block up every 2 seconds of use (something slow) when standing still as if the bender is only just overcoming gravity., but no raising when strafing around as all of the power is going into horizontal movement.

Control set - And rather than have the shift and space control set that air/water spout has. The shift key is reserved for canceling the ability. Then the space key can be used to raise faster than the normal rate when standing still, moving and rising is possible too. But this is at the expense of horizontal speed.

The position of the player would be based off the ground (like air/water spout). So if you try to dash over a ravine, you are gunna get #reKt.
The mechanic with pressing space could be used. The player loses horizontal movement speed, but gains the ability to move around without needing ground beneath. Which then be more like FireJet that does not care if you have ground beneath you or not. That would also make it feel like it deserves to share a slot with fireJet.

How it moves - Moving in a direction with this ability would give you very fast acceleration to top speed and quick direction changes but overall low top speed (its all about agility). The low top speed would give people a reason to still want to use fire jet.

Getting hit cancels - Unlike air/water spout, fire is a volatile element. So being hit should cancel the effect. Besides, if you cant do anything with that level of agility you don't deserve it anyway.

Just an idea, fire trails (see below). Whether thats the last 5 blocks you traversed or just entities you go past/over.

^Gosh damn Azula, calm down. This is during sozins comet but this chick does this crap all the time. This is the strafing kind i had in mind.

^Dashing around. Wrecking lives.

^Non sozins comet example, going out to beat up some punks in the earth kingdom. Note that she didn't really leave the ground. This is why i think the "space to go up, shift to cancel, but direction keys to accelerate/change-direction on a dime" is the way to go.

Usage examples
Its used for a lot of the same reasons as air/water spout but it should be fire style. It should be distinctive. That would be used as a fast paced strafing tool so you could face your target and pop off a few fire blasts in their face. Before the effect runs out and you get dropped on your a##.

This ability should be able to be used to move in a controlled manner. If you want. Whatever.
It could work for times when you want to move up slowly, with the ability slowly lifting you (faster if you press space) to reach that last 3 blocks up to the roof. (No firejet, i dont want to shoot 50 feet in the air and U-turn back to the earth)

Or across ravines (but not into the creeper 5 blocks to the other side), across holes underground (but avoid hitting the lava just next to it), or use it to land on 1x1 block pillars(without falling to your death).

^This is kinda how i envisage the space function working. Press space to not need ground underneath, sacrifices horizontal speed but at least you dont get reKt trying to dash over that ravine.

Or the horizontal sprint to escape a mine while not moving at the eye blazing speed of firejet.

Tell me if you agree with this post. I think it fits into the ethos of firebending better than anything i have read so far, but i cant read it all.

-Tenket

This is not my own writing, it is Tenket's. It describes EXACTLY what I want.
^I suggest you read this, I love it!

Last edited:

Ahrim

Verified Member
not quite it would require more physical finesse than what a normal fire bender could muster with out much practice. so I'm all for it being a combo move but as for being a regular Joe move that you can just enable easily I'd say perhaps not. after all anything can go in a forward direction with out the need for thrust vectoring. trying to levitate and move would require a fire bender to thrust-vector his own flames to maintain his altitude and his position.

Moonelight

Verified Member
not quite it would require more physical finesse than what a normal fire bender could muster with out much practice. so I'm all for it being a combo move but as for being a regular Joe move that you can just enable easily I'd say perhaps not. after all anything can go in a forward direction with out the need for thrust vectoring. trying to levitate and move would require a fire bender to thrust-vector his own flames to maintain his altitude and his position.
Let's not go to far into the show, after all this is Minecraft. Waterbenders have the new Water Wave ability, and a Water Spout ability. The Fire Jet would be the same, just two in one move.

And incase you were wondering, the move comes from this episode of The Last Airbender;

See him levitating?

Ahrim

Verified Member
Not to Be Dis-Respectful, And Correct Me if I'm wrong.. but Giving Firebenders the Ability to Pretty much Fly. While Air Lacks Even the Slightest Symbolism of Fire Jet Like Flight I think it would make Air Even more lack luster than it already is, That being said I think it should wait until air gets the needed Upgrade before this even gets thought of.

V

Vidcom

Not to Be Dis-Respectful, And Correct Me if I'm wrong.. but Giving Firebenders the Ability to Pretty much Fly. While Air Lacks Even the Slightest Symbolism of Fire Jet Like Flight I think it would make Air Even more lack luster than it already is, That being said I think it should wait until air gets the needed Upgrade before this even gets thought of.
If you want to fly as air, you can hover via AirSpout, use Tornado to carry you up any given wall, or use AirBlast/AirSuction using the crouch aspect to throw you, and you go very far if you are thrown while in midair when the blast hits you.

V

Vidcom

If you want to fly as air, you can hover via AirSpout, use Tornado to carry you up any given wall, or use AirBlast/AirSuction using the crouch aspect to throw you, and you go very far if you are thrown while in midair when the blast hits you.
Or for ground movement, AirScooter. And those air buffs. If you want to have a firejet style short burst of flight, just use airblast to push yourself. If you want a HUGE jump of flight, use the same but jump just before you click.

SchvinDZC

Verified Member
The firebenders only did that under extreme surges of power, such as Sozin's Comet or the Avatar State.
if not I'd say Avatar state only.. since it only happened during Sozins Comet..
Mako basically used fire to levitate against Ghazan, and Mako really isn't that powerful (go to around 1:50).
I don't think it requires that much more effort, physics aside. Firing it from your hands like that would make it easy to maintain balance and altitude.

Levitating with FireJet should be part of the same move, maybe shift clicking would activate it. It could control more like a jetpack than a rocket booster and would only last a few seconds depending on if it were day/night. Switching out of the FireJet slot while it's active shouldn't cancel it so you could use other moves in mid-air ;)

Moonelight

Verified Member
Mako basically used fire to levitate against Ghazan, and Mako really isn't that powerful (go to around 1:50).
I don't think it requires that much more effort, physics aside. Firing it from your hands like that would make it easy to maintain balance and altitude.

Levitating with FireJet should be part of the same move, maybe shift clicking would activate it. It could control more like a jetpack than a rocket booster and would only last a few seconds depending on if it were day/night. Switching out of the FireJet slot while it's active shouldn't cancel it so you could use other moves in mid-air ;)
This is literally what I had in mind. But I couldn't decide how long you should be able to do it, maybe 20 seconds, 15 seconds at night.

TheOneAndOnlyApple

Verified Member
Sort of off topic but this little video clip brought a suggestion to my mind. If you looked closely at the part where Mako electrocuted the water, there was almost no charge up time for the lighting itself. Possibly this could be considered for a combo-move with the move lightning involved to project a small blast of electricity?
Let me know what you think!
Also the FireJet hovering ability sounds cool to a certain extent. Would the FireJet-hovering ability last as long as a normal FireJet, just in stationary mid air? Would the bender be able to switch slots? I like the concept but also agree somewhat with it only lasting as long as a normal FireJet, however in the avatar state, the bender could levitate indefinitely. Of course for normal benders this would be affected by the sun or moon.
Overall great suggestion and I can't wait to see what the concept designers think of it, nice job!

~Apple<3

SchvinDZC

Verified Member
This is literally what I had in mind. But I couldn't decide how long you should be able to do it, maybe 20 seconds, 15 seconds at night.
Levitating around like that would give you a huge edge in combat, depending on how fast you could travel on it (and assuming you could switch slots). I think anywhere from 3-6 seconds would be better.

Davboro

Verified Member
I've actually always kinda wanted firejet to be much shorter, with a shorter cooldown. Short bursts that last maybe 1-1.5 seconds or so and maybe a 1 second cooldown as well. In the show many of the firebenders use firejet not really to fly, but to kinda' thrust themselves using the momentum the combustion causes. That's just a personal opinion, though. I've tried it out on a private server and it actually works quite well. It wouldn't have to actually be added to the plugin since it is configurable, just throwing my two cents out there.

Moonelight

Verified Member
I think that since every element is getting new moves, fire should get some. Water has been getting special treatment obviously :I

Status
Not open for further replies.