• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Fire Bending Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unionjackjz1

Verified Member
(There is a difference between debating and arguing in the comments, please debate, don't argue)

I read somewhere on this forum "Fire Bending is becoming Air Bending" (Paraphrased)

If you look at how people bend air, it is more "I'm going to shoot straight ahead to hit this person". Air is very precise and exact.

When Master Jeong Jeong was teaching Aang Fire Bending, Master Jeong Jeong told him to be patient, that fire is a dangerous element and need control and concentration to make sure the fire doesn't become a problem. Aand demonstrated Admiral Zhao's lack of control over fire, and showed what it can do if your not paying attention. He ended up burning all of his ships.

Fire is not precise, it is anything but precise. It is messy and out of hand, but still within control. Right now, most fire moves are not like this. Most fire moves are air moves with fire effects. They are precise and only shoot straight. I have a collection of screenshots from Fire Benders showing that fire bending is not straight, fire bending is mostly the formation of arcs. (Screenshots will be below)

Blazing rings and arcs. That is the name of a fire bending move on the wiki. That is when you create fire by kicking or punching. Arc is in the name. I counted how many abilities on the wiki that use arcs, and I counted 10. The messiness of fire bending is a big part of it to make that uncertainty factor. You don't know if your going to cause a forrest fire if you don't pay attention to every bit of your fire.

So, how do we create these arcs?
FireShots is a great example of using arcs and keeping concentration of the fire. You watch the fire to make sure its hitting your target and if its not, move the fire to hit your target or shoot again. This creates that arc effect that fire benders use. If this was implemented, we would have a more realistic fire and more types of playing styles for fire (The way YOU use fire). We would have this more realistic, messy, unpredictable way of fire that we don't see (Or rarely see) now.

Config for Fire:
"Randomness" created by the fire.
EX: If I shoot fire in 1 direction, the fire will not shoot just in a straight line, there will be random fire that comes off of the sides, and I can control the fire to give it an arc.

Amount of Control:
Instead of me shooting fire, looking 180 degrees from where I shot it, and the fire coming right back to me, you can control the speed it takes for it to move. So if I look 180 degrees from where I shot the fire, it won't instantly go, it will arc around to where I'm looking.

Clarification: This would NOT be on every move. This would be on a select few moves, as not all moves are arcs, a good amount of them are.

This would give fire something unique and different. People wouldn't call fire bending air bending, because it isn't. This would be a great implement into ProjectKorra and I hope it gets looked at :D

(I know I wrote a lot, but this would be a big change, so it deserves a lot of writing).

Edit 1 - Fire isn't air because fire is fire. Fire has unique character traits that fire only has because it is plasma. Right now, fire doesn't have that "Flame" feel fire has in the tv show. Fire needs that flame, dangerous feel it has in the show. Even in LoK when fire benders aren't the "Bad Guys", fire is still that element people can fear because it can be extremely unstable, as plasma is just charged particles bouncing around, and thats gives fire that flame feel we get from it in real life and in the show.
That was just a clarification I thought I should add, as this is a lot of writing and is confusing because I'm not the best writer.

~Union

Last edited:

Hero

Verified Member
(There is a difference between debating and arguing in the comments, please debate, don't argue)

I read somewhere on this forum "Fire Bending is becoming Air Bending" (Paraphrased)

If you look at how people bend air, it is more "I'm going to shoot straight ahead to hit this person". Air is very precise and exact.

When Master Jeong Jeong was teaching Aang Fire Bending, Master Jeong Jeong told him to be patient, that fire is a dangerous element and need control and concentration to make sure the fire doesn't become a problem. Aand demonstrated Admiral Zhao's lack of control over fire, and showed what it can do if your not paying attention. He ended up burning all of his ships.

Fire is not precise, it is anything but precise. It is messy and out of hand, but still within control. Right now, most fire moves are not like this. Most fire moves are air moves with fire effects. They are precise and only shoot straight. I have a collection of screenshots from Fire Benders showing that fire bending is not straight, fire bending is mostly the formation of arcs. (Screenshots will be below)

Blazing rings and arcs. That is the name of a fire bending move on the wiki. That is when you create fire by kicking or punching. Arc is in the name. I counted how many abilities on the wiki that use arcs, and I counted 10. The messiness of fire bending is a big part of it to make that uncertainty factor. You don't know if your going to cause a forrest fire if you don't pay attention to every bit of your fire.

So, how do we create these arcs?
FireShots is a great example of using arcs and keeping concentration of the fire. You watch the fire to make sure its hitting your target and if its not, move the fire to hit your target or shoot again. This creates that arc effect that fire benders use. If this was implemented, we would have a more realistic fire and more types of playing styles for fire (The way YOU use fire). We would have this more realistic, messy, unpredictable way of fire that we don't see (Or rarely see) now.

Config for Fire:
"Randomness" created by the fire.
EX: If I shoot fire in 1 direction, the fire will not shoot just in a straight line, there will be random fire that comes off of the sides, and I can control the fire to give it an arc.

Amount of Control:
Instead of me shooting fire, looking 180 degrees from where I shot it, and the fire coming right back to me, you can control the speed it takes for it to move. So if I look 180 degrees from where I shot the fire, it won't instantly go, it will arc around to where I'm looking.

Clarification: This would NOT be on every move. This would be on a select few moves, as not all moves are arcs, a good amount of them are.

This would give fire something unique and different. People wouldn't call fire bending air bending, because it isn't. This would be a great implement into ProjectKorra and I hope it gets looked at :D

(I know I wrote a lot, but this would be a big change, so it deserves a lot of writing).

~Union
Fire is precise. Azula was able to cut a building in half with a little "blade" of fire without it burning down. If fire was all over the place, it was intended or was on accident.
Fire was able to be straight. Look at fireblast from da show.
Fireshot isnt an PK Move.
Fire is already unpredictable. You cant tell a fireblast from a bigger fireblast until it hits you. And dont get me started with firewheel. Giving fire more flare would cause alot of problems.
I never hear anyone call firebending airbending other than the fact they are both hard to suggest stuff to.

promancer

Verified Member
Fire is precise. Azula was able to cut a building in half with a little "blade" of fire without it burning down. If fire was all over the place, it was intended or was on accident.
Fire was able to be straight. Look at fireblast from da show.
Fireshot isnt an PK Move.
Fire is already unpredictable. You cant tell a fireblast from a bigger fireblast until it hits you. And dont get me started with firewheel. Giving fire more flare would cause alot of problems.
I never hear anyone call firebending airbending other than the fact they are both hard to suggest stuff to.
Well 1. Azula used blue fire which is easier to control, more deadly, and can incinerate both metal and other materials. Qualities fire doesnt have. 2. Fireblast wasnt really accurate but instead smaller and easier to control. I do agree that with power does come a large need for control and this does follow the characteristics of actual fire.

Unionjackjz1

Verified Member
Well 1. Azula used blue fire which is easier to control, more deadly, and can incinerate both metal and other materials. Qualities fire doesnt have. 2. Fireblast wasnt really accurate but instead smaller and easier to control. I do agree that with power does come a large need for control and this does follow the characteristics of actual fire.
That is the wording I was looking for and couldn't find. "Characteristics of actual fire" thank you for saying that, adding it now. That is what makes fire unique to air, that fire IS fire and not air.

Taiko the Waterbender

Verified Member
I really love this, if possible, I would add this thread to the "favourites"!
As a Waterbender following the Air Nomad's culture, I try to be the most evasive I can. I try to make the Firebenders defeat themselves, just like Aang made to General Zhao, but at the moment, it isn't possible. With this changes, wow, we need a lot of Waterbenders to take down the forest fires xD
I agree :3

Unionjackjz1

Verified Member
I really love this, if possible, I would add this thread to the "favourites"!
As a Waterbender following the Air Nomad's culture, I try to be the most evasive I can. I try to make the Firebenders defeat themselves, just like Aang made to General Zhao, but at the moment, it isn't possible. With this changes, wow, we need a lot of Waterbenders to take down the forest fires xD
I agree :3
Thanks for the feedback <3 I love the feedback you gave me. And I agree, fire doesn't have that "Flaming" feel it has in the show, and it should have that.

SuperBower118

Verified Member

It's possible for firebenders to make fire precise, if they need to.

Even though in this example, it's tiny fireblast that could barely harm a person, I feel like it still proves that fire can be precise if it needs to be.

promancer

Verified Member

It's possible for firebenders to make fire precise, if they need to.

Even though in this example, it's tiny fireblast that could barely harm a person, I feel like it still proves that fire can be precise if it needs to be.
Please show a gif of a firebender that isnt zuko or azula using this, as they are both members of the royal family and azula holds the ability to use blue fire. Plus you just serve to prove his point right, fire takes precision and accuracy, which is why only members of the royal family show these abilities.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Please show a gif of a firebender that isnt zuko or azula using this, as they are both members of the royal family and azula holds the ability to use blue fire. Plus you just serve to prove his point right, fire takes precision and accuracy, which is why only members of the royal family show these abilities.
Zuko was not very skilled at the time he was doing this. This was before he was "taught" be the last two dragons.
Also, Zuko was not anything special as a firebender, especially at birth. It was during his journey with Aang that he really became a talent firebender (even though Iroh did teach him how to redirect Lightning before Zuko joined Team Avatar)

Unionjackjz1

Verified Member
(I'm tired because I just woke up so sorry for any spelling mistakes in this)

Maybe percise wasn't the right word. In that gif, you can see that the fire isn't exact. He can aim, and he can hit his target with ease. But the fire isn't like a line going through the air. It has its "Fire" properties to it that make it fire.

Its like if you light a candle. The flame doesn't stay one size. It grows and shrinks. Thats what is happening in that gif. When he shoots, the fire hits the target. While it is traveling in the air, it burns some of the air around it causing the fire to shrink and grow (Crackle, making Fire Fire). So precise wasn't the best word, but it was one of the only ones I could think of to best match what I thought fire needed.

Like I've been saying in this thread, fire is fire because fire is fire. Thats what gives fire its unique properties. I'm not sure if that makes sense, if someone gets what I'm saying and wants to clarify, please do.

promancer

Verified Member
(I'm tired because I just woke up so sorry for any spelling mistakes in this)

Maybe percise wasn't the right word. In that gif, you can see that the fire isn't exact. He can aim, and he can hit his target with ease. But the fire isn't like a line going through the air. It has its "Fire" properties to it that make it fire.

Its like if you light a candle. The flame doesn't stay one size. It grows and shrinks. Thats what is happening in that gif. When he shoots, the fire hits the target. While it is traveling in the air, it burns some of the air around it causing the fire to shrink and grow (Crackle, making Fire Fire). So precise wasn't the best word, but it was one of the only ones I could think of to best match what I thought fire needed.

Like I've been saying in this thread, fire is fire because fire is fire. Thats what gives fire its unique properties. I'm not sure if that makes sense, if someone gets what I'm saying and wants to clarify, please do.
Fire is fire because it is unstable and rampid. Its not a bullet, and its not a death ray. Its the effect of a chemical mixing with oxygen to give off light smoke and heat, literally like a more contained explosion.

gangksta

Verified Member
I still can't recognize what benefits PK would receive from your suggestions :(. Could you outline what positive changes would occur if this was added in relevance to combat (against other elements too)?

Status
Not open for further replies.