• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Earth's Rhythm (EarthBlast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Now this may just be me, but earth is very out of tune. Every move has some completely different use than the others, so there isn't a good way to make use of multiple moves, and this results in moves being spammed too much. Earthblast for example. I spam earthblast because in reality, it is earth's best offensive move. It's fast, has no charge or cooldown, and it's simple. But does that give room for much else to do? Not unless you're very skilled.

So I have a suggestion for redoing/redesigning some earth aspects to make it have a better rhythm.
I might make this into multiple threads because of the one suggestion per thread and this could end up having very different ideas. Also I'm not the greatest with words even though english is my native language. I'll do my best to explain things into specifics.

First off: Earthblast
Earthblast is very simple, very spammable, and very useful.
I have a suggestion to enhance, and nerf it somewhat. First;

Random source
: This would eliminate the need to shift at a block and select it, with earthblast selected if you L-click, a random block within the source range (Dunno the exact config option) would go towards where you clicked. This is helpful for something else I'm going to suggest. This would not mean you cannot select a source to be more accurate.

Exhaustion
: This would make it so when you fire multiple earthblast in a certain period of seconds, the earthblasts would do less damage each, so the first one would do the configured amount, then the next would do .5 damage less, and so on. This would make it so earthbenders need to use some different moves to actually beat an enemy.

'Move Transference
: This is a bit complicated, but earthblast should be able to interact much more with other moves. This would be something addon developers could hook into for their moves. Some moves earthblast should be able to interact with are EarthSmash, RaiseEarth, EarthGrab.
---EarthSmash: When an earthsmash is shot at you, with earthblast you can catch it and shoot it back like you would a normal earthsmash. That's all you can do with it. That and move it around.
---RaiseEarth: When you shoot an earthblast at a raiseearth wall, part of it should break.
---EarthGrab: Same with raiseearth, when you shoot it a part of it should break.

Now that I've thought about it, I'm going to make seperate threads for my ideas, as a lot of them are mainly focused on one move.

For this, I would like to see a lot of opinion, be it good or bad. If you have ideas, please suggest them. Nothing is too stupid to be suggested.

Beygirl

Verified Member
I really love the idea of this, especially the exhaustion and move transference part (although I may or may not be guilty of EarthBlast spamming :confused:). However, I don't know about whether having a random source for EarthBlast would help stop the spamming. After all, it might even help the Earthbender's accuracy if the blast comes in from behind, beside, or directly underneath the opponent, because the opponent would most likely not see it coming in those cases. Also, for the EarthSmash part underneath move transference, you can already gain control of and redirect incoming EarthSmashes by shifting at them with EarthSmash selected. Other than that, I love these ideas :p.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I really love the idea of this, especially the exhaustion and move transference part (although I may or may not be guilty of EarthBlast spamming :confused:). However, I don't know about whether having a random source for EarthBlast would help stop the spamming. After all, it might even help the Earthbender's accuracy if the blast comes in from behind, beside, or directly underneath the opponent, because the opponent would most likely not see it coming in those cases. Also, for the EarthSmash part underneath move transference, you can already gain control of and redirect incoming EarthSmashes by shifting at them with EarthSmash selected. Other than that, I love these ideas :p.
Thank you, and for the move transference it would work with earthblast selected the same way it does earthsmash

Beygirl

Verified Member
Thank you, and for the move transference it would work with earthblast selected the same way it does earthsmash
I personally think that redirecting EarthSmashes with EarthSmash should stay the same. Besides, it'll still serve the same purpose either way, so why change it?

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I personally think that redirecting EarthSmashes with EarthSmash should stay the same. Besides, it'll still serve the same purpose either way, so why change it?
There will be no change with how earthsmash does it, this will just allow a more fluid style of battle with earth. No I'm not making earth like water with the fluid comment. I just don't see earth having any tune or rhythm.

Beygirl

Verified Member
There will be no change with how earthsmash does it, this will just allow a more fluid style of battle with earth. No I'm not making earth like water with the fluid comment. I just don't see earth having any tune or rhythm.
So, you're saying that in addition to redirecting with EarthSmash, you want to give EarthBlast the ability to redirect it? I don't see the logic in that o_O. And, no, it won't make earth fluid because you catch the EarthSmash, making it come to a dead stop, and then redirect it, which still keeps the redirection process stiff and abrupt rather than flowing.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
So, you're saying that in addition to redirecting with EarthSmash, you want to give EarthBlast the ability to redirect it? I don't see the logic in that o_O. And, no, it won't make earth fluid because you catch the EarthSmash, making it come to a dead stop, and then redirect it, which still keeps the redirection process stiff and abrupt rather than flowing.
Yes, and i didn't literally mean fluid, I meant more convenient. Instead of having to switch to your earthsmash bind, especially if you don't have it bound, you can just catch and shoot with earthblast.

Beygirl

Verified Member
Yes, and i didn't literally mean fluid, I meant more convenient. Instead of having to switch to your earthsmash bind, especially if you don't have it bound, you can just catch and shoot with earthblast.
Hmm...I disagree. I think that being able to redirect a powerful attack from two of the most used Earthbending attack moves is a bit unnecessary, after all, it would be annoying if it were that easy to redirect something. Most Earthbenders have those two attack moves bound anyway.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Hmm...I disagree. I think that being able to redirect a powerful attack from two of the most used Earthbending attack moves is a bit unnecessary, after all, it would be annoying if it were that easy to redirect something. Most Earthbenders have those two attack moves bound anyway.
*cough* watermanipulation *cough* :p

But seriously there are plenty of benders that do and do not use earthsmash.

Janny

Verified Member
Now this may just be me, but earth is very out of tune. Every move has some completely different use than the others, so there isn't a good way to make use of multiple moves, and this results in moves being spammed too much. Earthblast for example. I spam earthblast because in reality, it is earth's best offensive move. It's fast, has no charge or cooldown, and it's simple. But does that give room for much else to do? Not unless you're very skilled.

So I have a suggestion for redoing/redesigning some earth aspects to make it have a better rhythm.
I might make this into multiple threads because of the one suggestion per thread and this could end up having very different ideas. Also I'm not the greatest with words even though english is my native language. I'll do my best to explain things into specifics.

First off: Earthblast
Earthblast is very simple, very spammable, and very useful.
I have a suggestion to enhance, and nerf it somewhat. First;

Random source
: This would eliminate the need to shift at a block and select it, with earthblast selected if you L-click, a random block within the source range (Dunno the exact config option) would go towards where you clicked. This is helpful for something else I'm going to suggest. This would not mean you cannot select a source to be more accurate.

Exhaustion
: This would make it so when you fire multiple earthblast in a certain period of seconds, the earthblasts would do less damage each, so the first one would do the configured amount, then the next would do .5 damage less, and so on. This would make it so earthbenders need to use some different moves to actually beat an enemy.

'Move Transference
: This is a bit complicated, but earthblast should be able to interact much more with other moves. This would be something addon developers could hook into for their moves. Some moves earthblast should be able to interact with are EarthSmash, RaiseEarth, EarthGrab.
---EarthSmash: When an earthsmash is shot at you, with earthblast you can catch it and shoot it back like you would a normal earthsmash. That's all you can do with it. That and move it around.
---RaiseEarth: When you shoot an earthblast at a raiseearth wall, part of it should break.
---EarthGrab: Same with raiseearth, when you shoot it a part of it should break.

Now that I've thought about it, I'm going to make seperate threads for my ideas, as a lot of them are mainly focused on one move.

For this, I would like to see a lot of opinion, be it good or bad. If you have ideas, please suggest them. Nothing is too stupid to be suggested.
Amazing! You always know how to improve earthbending! :D

promancer

Verified Member
Sorry, i dont agree. Show a gif where earthbenders (besides toph, special case) didnt look at their source before bending it.

djmyernos

Verified Member
Sorry, i dont agree. Show a gif where earthbenders (besides toph, special case) didnt look at their source before bending it.
I'm pretty sure Bolin has had some. There's a difference between looking and selecting. Earthbenders definitely didn't crouch to the ground before each move.

Status
Not open for further replies.