• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Custom ability request: AvatarState needs particles!

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Can anyone change avatarstate, so that it gives the user white particles? It would be hella useful, as you would be able to tell if the avatar is in avatarstate and be preprared/caution from attacks. That is if you don't mind and have time for it.

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
How would it look? Random white particles everywhere wouldn't look too good I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmeraldJelly

Verified Member
How would it look? Random white particles everywhere wouldn't look too good I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well you can find a way to spawn particles at maybe the normal eye location of the player or like have it swirl around the head of the player.

EmeraldJelly

Verified Member
I currently have 2 rings around the player that go up and down, something like that? (Kinda like ElementSphere)
Well i dont think we want something to block the users view. A Ring above the head is out of the way and it still shows that the player is in avatar state. Kinda like a Halo.

YourAverageNerd

Verified Member
Well i dont think we want something to block the users view. A Ring above the head is out of the way and it still shows that the player is in avatar state. Kinda like a Halo.
I couldn't decide on an animation so I made an input system in the config. It looks like this
Code:
Animation:
        '1':
           Interval: '[0, 2 * PI]'
           X: cos(%t% + %yaw%)
           Y: sin(%t%)
           Z: sin(%t% + %yaw%)
        '2':
           X: cos(%t% + %yaw% + PI)
           Z: sin(%t% + %yaw% + PI)
Each of these gets executed over a certain interval. The variable yaw gets replaced with the players yaw (ranging from 0 to 2PI), and t gets replaced with a certain value between the specified interval.

EmeraldJelly

Verified Member
I couldn't decide on an animation so I made an input system in the config. It looks like this
Code:
Animation:
        '1':
           X: cos(%t% + %yaw%)
           Z: sin(%t% + %yaw%)
        '2':
           X: cos(%t% + %yaw% + PI)
           Z: sin(%t% + %yaw% + PI)
Each of these gets executed over a certain interval. The variable yaw gets replaced with the players yaw (ranging from 0 to 2PI), and t gets replaced with a certain value between the specified interval.
That is very smart. Nice :p

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Spawning termorsense-ish active beamed beecon near the avatar's feet could do the trick without particles. Or just have visible 3x3 sea lantern spawn and follow the user's feet.

EmeraldJelly

Verified Member
Spawning termorsense-ish active beamed beecon near the avatar's feet could do the trick without particles. Or just have visible 3x3 sea lantern spawn and follow the user's feet.
That just doesn't make sense. The avatar is often flying using abilities like element sphere, unlimited firejet and flight. A floating sea lantern just wont look good.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
That just doesn't make sense. The avatar is often flying using abilities like element sphere, unlimited firejet and flight. A floating sea lantern just wont look good.
It is close as you can get to make the avatar "glow". Adding two particles at the eye height is impractical, since every skin can differ from player to player, with:
a)oversize/small eyes; particle size unsyncth
b)more/less than 2 eyes the avatar can have.
3)might be in a different placed position.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Give them an aura of particles.... It was in the show, Korra had it. And there were times where her eyes emitted some sort of particle. When she was in the Red Lotus chamber her eyes glowed so much that they had this white trail of particles. And then while she fought Unalaq during harmonic convergence, she had a yellow aura while in the avatar state. And even though she's most powerful in the spirit world (as said by Raava) she was in the physical world when she had the aura.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, I was thinking of an aura. Although it may not look good (?). I wonder If you can add self-glow (the status effect) which becomes visible to everyone or at least around/near you.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, I was thinking of an aura. Although it may not look good (?).
Just a blatant circle around the user may not look good (and would block sight) but a possible spiral or simple animation would do. It could be possible that some White reddust particles could spawn at the users eyes but only for a bit. Like sometimes when the Avatar goes into the avatar state, their eyes glow only for a short duration then they stop glowing.

For the animation, you could have the white particles (reddust, firework sparks, cloud, snow, etc) spawn for a SHORT duration (1-2 second MAX) and then they get a spiral animation aura for the duration of their avatar state.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I know there's the issue of the skin having the eyes in a different location, but not everything can be perfect I guess xD Put the eyes where a MAJORITY of skin-eyes are.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I don't want short duration particles. I want it through out the whole avatarstate.

I heard somewhere that is possible to resposition the particles, in a opponents-vs-user pov situation, so maybe removing/cloaking it from the user is possible as well.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Only the eye glow would be short duration, the actual avatar-state-spiral-thingy is what would be full duration.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I know there's the issue of the skin having the eyes in a different location, but not everything can be perfect I guess xD Put the eyes where a MAJORITY of skin-eyes are.
Having a whole body except for the head glow would be dope though :D But it may be laggy and too many work will have to be put to add dozen of particles D;

EmeraldJelly

Verified Member
Only the eye glow would be short duration, the actual avatar-state-spiral-thingy is what would be full duration.
I agree with what num is saying. See yes everything cannot be perfect but we can come close to it. Like on activation the eyes glow for like 2 seconds, then a spiral like animation of particles (probably colored redstone particles) using the generalmethods display colored particle method, and some simple math similar to how mend works but just overhead and a smaller. Having some sea lantern follow you would be really annoying to me in my opinion.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Having a whole body except for the head glow would be dope though :D But it may be laggy and too many work will have to be put to add dozen of particles D;
Sobki has a spiral-ish animation around a user in his Link ability. Add that (but to the Avatar State user) PLUS the eye glow and it's done. Modify Sobki's a bit to your liking of course. It shouldn't be too much if you understand the math of it.

Last edited: