• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

(Chi) HighJump improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
That is basically how its done, but if player.getAllowFlight() is true, they take no falldamage
Flight as in the creative mode flight, or the Airbender flight?

Because I don't see a problem with that. Creative players will choose flying over jumping either way, and if the player is the avatar it grants them some more power, something the avatar has :/

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
Okay so I just tested it out.

Both when running (+speed and jump) and in Acrobatstance (+more speed and more jump) you will NOT take fall damage when landing on a block 5 blocks under you. You will however take fall damage when not in either of these states. Do you guys think it's worth worrying over fall damage, or do you think players should just use this?
If possible, I still support the idea that the fall damage gets removed for this jump only (duh), to allow versatility. Gated by a cooldown

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
The problem is that it gives them constant creative mode flight, even if they're not in creative mode
Hmm, do you think that it's fixable when you have the double space bar jump, but you don't mess with the fall damage?
As in, the only changes done are the higher jump, the higher cd and the double space bar trigger? That way players do have to run/Acrobatstance beforehand though.

I wish it were possible to get the double spacebar jump in conjuction with the fall damage negation, but I understand coding had its limits.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Hmm, do you think that it's fixable when you have the double space bar jump, but you don't mess with the fall damage?
As in, the only changes done are the higher jump, the higher cd and the double space bar trigger? That way players do have to run/Acrobatstance beforehand though.

I wish it were possible to get the double spacebar jump in conjuction with the fall damage negation, but I understand coding had its limits.
To make double-space anything, the player has to be able to fly. Thus, they will never take any fall damage

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
To make double-space anything, the player has to be able to fly. Thus, they will never take any fall damage
So if I understand all, you're saying this:

A double space bar jump IS possible, but comes with the problem of a complete immunity to fall damage, even when another ability is selected?
Instead, a left click makes the ability unrelated to flight and allows configureable options (such as fall damage deny conpletely, but not partly (the whole 5-block below your jump thing))
Correct me if I'm wrong here please.

AlexTheCoder

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
So if I understand all, you're saying this:

A double space bar jump IS possible, but comes with the problem of a complete immunity to fall damage, even when another ability is selected?
Instead, a left click makes the ability unrelated to flight and allows configureable options (such as fall damage deny conpletely, but not partly (the whole 5-block below your jump thing))
Correct me if I'm wrong here please.
That is correct

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
Very well, I think we've come to a stage where I summarize what the idea had grown into, since quite a few things changed since I posted the OP.

HighJump changes (comparing LIVE to THIS VERSION)
-Higher Jump!: The player jumps 1 block higher than the current High jump (unchanged)
-Recharging!: The cooldown of Highjump is raised significantly in trade for power (unchanged)
-A safe landing!: The player does not receive fall damage upon landing *at all* with Highjump only (NEW)

-(REMOVED) The jump is triggered by a double space bar

Context:
I kept the balance changes in the jump height and cooldown change because these seemed to be received well and are the main changes.
Now Highjump already gives fall damage in the live PK, and jumping higher means higher fall damage. I've never seen Ty Lee or an Amon worshipper break their legs when landing (and killing yourself with your own skill is just silly unless you screw up big-time), so I added the ignorance of fall damage completely. I think players should not be pushed to prepare (run/acrobat) for something meant to be a BASIC skill. It also adds to the versatility of the skill. This could be balanced out by the large cooldown.
Sadly, the double spacebar jump is not possible due to the limits of the system.

In short;
HighJump (live) goes from an underused and inferior to AcroStance low cd high jump to a HighJump (new) that allows for creativity on the battlefield, be it jumping to normally unreachable terrain for a surprise attack (both high and low terrain due to the safe landing!!) to an offensive use for reaching flying and spouting benders, to an "if all else fails" quick escape (SmokeScreen into HighJump on the forest/into a cave anyone?)

#commenter# But Mika, that gives Chi Blockers a massive boost in power which they don't need!

Yes and no! First of all, HighJump simply needs to change because it's a terrible skill ATM. Period. And while yes, these changes grant Chi Blockers a boost in power, being gated to a long cooldown means they'll have to choose if they want to use it to open up on their opponent, safe it for battle or use it for an escape, as they can't use it for all of those!

Opinions are very welcome!

*Edit* Also, it does not require new particle work at all, just some number changes and the fall damage thing. I guess that's not too hard to implement *Edit*

Last edited:

LeafHD_

Verified Member
Hey all, this is my first post and thereby my introduction. I'm MikaDo, mainly a Chi blocker or Water bender and that's all you need to know about me :p.

Now onto the suggestion. Highjump is arguably the least powerful skill in a Chi blockers skillset. It is completely inferior to Acrobatstance, which gives the same jump height without the cooldown. My idea is to make Highjump more easy to use and more distinctive.

1: The jump is triggered by a left click > The jump is triggered by the space bar.

I don't know is this is technically possible, but just throwing it out there. Everyone in minecraft jumps with the spacebar and has generally mastered timing it to jump large distances and cliffs. It would make it more fluent, in my opinion.

2: Jumps a large height with a short cooldown > Jumps a larger height with a medium cooldown.

This change sets it apart from Acrobatstance. It allows to Chi blocker to jump 5 blocks instead of 4 (Acrobatstance & current HighJump height). This opens up many more possibilities, such as reaching areas normally unreachable or knocking water- and airbenders out of their respectieve spouts.
In exchange for power, a significantly higher cooldown only seems fair.

3: Fall damage > No fall damage on landing 5 blocks or lower

Jumping higher means higher fall damage. This issue can be fixed, but might be able to seperate the good Chi blockers from the great.
My proposal is that if you land 5 blocks or less below your highest point (which means jumping on a flat ground grants no fall damage, but jumping 1 block below your starting point does). It opens up counters for flying / spouting enemies and doesn't enable you to jump off a mountains without a scratch.

If you guys remember the Boiling Rock fight on the gondola, when the guards are cutting the line, Azula and Ty Lee make their escape. Azula blasts herself of with some fire, but Ty Lee jumps a considerable distance and lands without damaging herself. This is what I want the skill to be, a situational but powerful tool to be able to adjust to your surroundings.

What do ya'll think? If you don't like the idea, please give your reasons so I can think of a solution.
Thanks for reading!
Jolly! Chi would benefit from something like this and nice first post too, my one was derpy xD

MikaDoooo

Verified Member
Anyone else got some tips/constructive criticism? Would love to hear some and improve the ability further.

Status
Not open for further replies.