• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Addons/Custom techniques - why I dislike them?

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
If you even care to read my thoughts why I hate them (talking about all of them from in here in general/indirectly), continue on reading this. If you don't like listening to me rambling my criticism - simple ignore and don't read this post. This is just my opinion (actually most of it not)

One of things why I dislike them is, which is very least important one, is that there aren't many of them. I know this might sound odd to all you on why I would want that many, but the thing is bugging me that it limits the arsenal and diversity of the bending arts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for there to be hundreds of them, making it that annoying you'll have scroll through the entire [ /b d ] list. I think it would nicer it there was a way from the people to choose other then just from a limited of 5 page list, and in where half in these pages are the only one's working and updated. This Problem also brings me to another issue that I'm gonna talk about below this paragraph.

Second argument - they lack of creative. Sure, you have plantblast, but what does that-ish do? What is worth of downloading it for apart from aesthetic looks? What makes it standout for being a dope technique that isn't just a copy of watermanipulation's mechanic? Try to take inspiration from the concepts that are posted in suggestion section. There you can find more juice stuff to work on. Giving airbenders more offensive-damaging stuff encouraging their spam, a few more un-necessary mobile moves and presenting firebenders with different variations of fireblast isn't an option for me to use and be used on.

No water or chi? While Water actually have a decent amount of moves (which is 7, based on the first page (because they are the latest one) and from the second page only by Simplicitee (he is the activate from that list, so he most likely to update that water technique) ), I don't think that really counts since most of them are related with plant subelement than with manipulation of pure direct water, while chi has 2. I find these two things having a lack of a good support, which I think it shouldn't be like that - all the elements and chi blocking must have the same attention payed by you. Even if if it's your less or more likeable element, I think it would be better if you at least balance the number of each ability you create for each ability as much as you can.

That's all I have to say. This message focus on you, addon makers, more, so that you can at least try to consider accepting this rant-looking offer and try to think otherwise before publish your creation to the downloads - (ask yourself) "Should I really upload this or should I add some tweaks to it". Thank you all for reading this :)

Last edited:

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Hate to be that guy, but creating and maintaining an addon requires a LOT of time. And I mean a HELL OF A LOT. It's not something you can create in an hour. It takes many and is difficult beyond belief sometimes.

I often have TONS of ideas for addons. Why don't I make them? I might attempt to, but if nothing works within 3 hours you get tired and frustrated and never get back to it. I honestly wish I could make more but I'm also so shorthanded for time. Probably the same with a lot of other addon devs here.

And water doesn't need many addons in my opinion because it's already very well balanced. And for creativity... what about CactusBlast? :D That idea was totally original and isn't a copy of any other move. ;)
It's not advertising, it's just using my own work as an example...

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
And water doesn't need many addons in my opinion because it's already very well balanced. And for creativity... what about CactusBlast? :D That idea was totally original and isn't a copy of any other move. ;)
I don't see how other bending arts are balanced with these custom abilities. Air had got more offensive abilities while finn and jedk1 was around, encouraging more benders of that element to spam these abilities, but without them this will still be a problem with airswipe - doesn't give any good penalty when it is being spammed.

I see cactusblast equally the same as watermanipulation: you just throw a block to expect for a damage to be dealt.

Loony

Verified Member
1) The lack of addons is due to Jed taking over other people's addons and then removing them all, RIP. Also what Strange said.
2) Addon developers do take suggestions from forums, someone's suggested Plant Blast before.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Did you want a bending plugin or a magic plugin, cuz there are a lot of restraints on creating something for a bending plugin. Sure you might not care for these restraints, but the good developers try to follow them so that a bending plugin is created, not a magic one.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
A)It's not about jedcore. I'm saying there aren't that many that would make up (let's say) 25
pages or even 130
B)Most don't do that. I also wanted to add that they should into consideration the solid suggestions, where it gets a lot of support and liking from people
C)I'm aware of the restrains and limitations, but the most Suggestions I seen were even confirmed do-able by other developers, even thought they aren't made as custom moves yet. Also, "Looking into" marked one's are enough to know that it is doable, because otherwise if the cd knew it wasn't possible they wouldn't tag it with that lable.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I'm aware of the restrains and limitations, but the most Suggestions I seen were even confirmed do-able by other developers, even thought they aren't made as custom moves yet. Also, "Looking into" marked one's are enough to know that it is doable, because otherwise if the cd knew it wasn't possible they wouldn't tag it with that lable.
It's not whether it's do-able, it's whether it's logical for a bending plugin.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Speaking of magic plugin, wasn't
you made an custom ability that allows all players to heal? Idk, but that seems magical to me. Benders and a chi blocker never displayed the power of "Regenerative Healing Factor" from my eyes.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Speaking of magic plugin, wasn't
you made an custom ability that allows all players to heal? Idk, but that seems magical to me. Benders and a chi blocker never displayed the power of "Regenerative Healing Factor" from my eyes.
If you read anything about the ability, it requires the user to have a medkit item to actually get healed.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
ThaTE="Simplicitee, post: 60974, member: 1217"]If you read anything about the ability, it requires the user to have a medkit item to actually get healed.[/QUOTE]
That shouldn't be an ability, but whatever.

The only valid argument I found is from Strange. It could be false, but all I'm left is to believe him as I don't have any adaptive skills and understand how the coding process (of the plugins) work. Obviously, he is a dev and he is more trusty valid source than I am.

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

The only valid argument I found is from Strange. It could be false, but all I'm left is to believe him as I don't have any adaptive skills and understand how the coding process (of the plugins) work. Obviously, he is a dev and he is more trusty valid source than I am.
It's people like you that anger me.

TLAalltheway

Verified Member
Add-ons are one of the worst things about PK, while they may add some aspects to PK that the regular wouldn't they have major balancing issues. Like if you master icewall and gimbal you're basically a water God, or if you can get all your hits with fireshots then your dish out an overwhelming amount of damage. Death to add ons. Please.

jedk1

To be fair... I only took over the abilities that either
a) could have been made better
b) were no longer maintained so be greatful that someone did maintain them for so long

Also JedCore is still available. Instructions on how to obtain are in my signature ;)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
ThaTE="Simplicitee, post: 60974, member: 1217"]If you read anything about the ability, it requires the user to have a medkit item to actually get healed.

The only valid argument I found is from Strange. It could be false, but all I'm left is to believe him as I don't have any adaptive skills and understand how the coding process (of the plugins) work. Obviously, he is a dev and he is more trusty valid source than I am.[/QUOTE]
Well that was a dumb thing for me to say. Actually, I'm Meskenas's Tulpa.