• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Surge Duration

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Another config option, could there be a duration for the surge wall? People can just hold shift for however long they want and I think it'd be nice and balancing for a server to decide if they want that feature or not.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I would as well address that waterspout needs one too. Also cooldown, but that was suggested before

Why it needs duration:
1. Logically and probably realisticly, a waterbender needs to maintain a focus to create and presumambly to maitain it. Right now, in game they can just waterspout forever.
2. 1st point may not be a problem, since it's a game and a mechanic that doesn't really hurt anyone, than the other argument would be it gives a hardtime for chi blockers to catch up the spout. It's hard enough to dodge torrent attacks, but it really becomes a paint to reach or knock waterbenders on their vortex to no avail.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
This is actually planned, it should've been put along the Add Cooldowns card on trello, but I simply haven't added it.

Planned.

Da Psic

Verified Member
A chi flow can be maintained forever.
The only things that affects bending is physical and mental exhaustion.
This makes no sense canonically.

It'd be nice for those who need bending to be slow and less creative, I guess.

NickC1211

Verified Member
A chi flow can be maintained forever.
The only things that affects bending is physical and mental exhaustion.

It'd be nice for those who need bending to be slow and less creative, I guess.
This is true but you could only get stuck so many times before you can’t hold it anymore. Surge let’s you hold the shield indefinitely not taking into account physical exhaustion

xNuminousx

Verified Member
This plugin needs to think of more than just what's canon. They need to also consider what's balanced for players.

NickC1211

Verified Member
Concept: once you put up the shield the exp bar will show the durability. When the durability is empty the shield dissipates.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Neither does the lifted wall of water bent that's twice the size of a bender. Actually water shield breaks immediately after absorbing the attacks or after being stretched, so really what's the point of bringing up canon argument when the one we have in-game isn't even accurate. Either the ability must be fully canon (reworked to how it actually canon is without Num's suggestion) or non canon (the way it is and with Num's suggestion) If we gonna bring up "But this isn't canon/far-fetched" as a determing base.

NickC1211

Verified Member
Another concept: you know how when someone shoots a combustion at your ice shield and a huge hole forms, but if you move it around the shield is magically restored? I think that the shield should keep the huge hole until the player makes a new surge shield from a source. For the water shield it should get smaller after each attack.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Another concept: you know how when someone shoots a combustion at your ice shield and a huge hole forms, but if you move it around the shield is magically restored? I think that the shield should keep the huge hole until the player makes a new surge shield from a source. For the water shield it should get smaller after each attack.
That's durability. That has nothing to do with duration.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
It kind of does because the duration will be shortened if the ice becomes completely destroyed or the water gone.
You made no mention of it, so....
Although since you started discussing it, I personally would like If combustion hit water shield or wave, it would turn into vapor and thus cause diversion (incorperating some sort of element/mechanic that would make the environment concealed, invisible, blurry/fuzzy, or etc.). Of course, combustion would steal pierce through so anything that was behind the water bent construct would receive the harm as normally expected from such powerful blast beam. If the combustion happens to blast upon ice structure or the solidified water shield, the person that hit cover would receive knockback (or even reduced damage than normal). This is based off the canon side when Katara and Tarrloq was in these sort of situations when fighting combustion benders.

Da Psic

Verified Member
Water doesn't magically disappear when you hit it with a rock or air. It doesn't fully evaporate either with fire blasts and unless its fully dispersed by air currents, water can be gathered once again. It makes complete sense for it to restore after moving it around. Jedcore implements durability in some abilities.

This plugin needs to think of more than just what's canon. They need to also consider what's balanced for players.
Configs are there, so servers decide what to do with it independently, the devs work on the default balance. Theres no need to use balancing as an excuse for an argument, all we can do is suggest.

Neither does the lifted wall of water bent that's twice the size of a bender. Actually water shield breaks immediately after absorbing the attacks or after being stretched, so really what's the point of bringing up canon argument when the one we have in-game isn't even accurate. Either the ability must be fully canon (reworked to how it actually canon is without Num's suggestion) or non canon (the way it is and with Num's suggestion) If we gonna bring up "But this isn't canon/far-fetched" as a determing base.
Actually it makes complete sense for it to be double size of the bender, it actually should be even bigger. You can look at multiple bending fights or even just katara or benders traveling underwater and they bend way more masses than the surge shield, one off the top of my head is the HEALING master vs Ming Hua atop the airbending temple, both sides using huge amounts of water.
I've said this before, the plugin is heavily canon based, all abilities can be found in the avatar world and surge is one of them.

This is true but you could only get stuck so many times before you can’t hold it anymore. Surge let’s you hold the shield indefinitely not taking into account physical exhaustion
Placing a blob of water in front of you should be one of the less exhaustive things, could probably stand there for hours. I think some type of chargeable surge would be a better concept, it would be limited to current water and would increase the longer you hold shift but it would still increase insanely fast and this could turn into a config option. And it could decrease when hit(would still be kinda irrelevant since it should charge fast).
A quick phasechange/surge wall combo that would allow placing permanent ice walls(still melt and can be mined) would be cool.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Actually it makes complete sense for it to be double size of the bender, it actually should be even bigger. You can look at multiple bending fights or even just katara or benders traveling underwater and they bend way more masses than the surge shield, one off the top of my head is the HEALING master vs Ming Hua atop the airbending temple, both sides using huge amounts of water.
During full moon? Because that's is the source that empowers waterbenders and allow the benders of the art's kind bend in huge masses. Also, If they could, they would form the shield bigger as it's more effective, but none of them did which is irrational and thus I wouldn't conclude that suggests water shields can't be formed with the exception of avatarstate and night times. I wasn't denying that they cannot bend water bigger than they can. It's just that they never did bend surge in bigger size and that just doesn't make sense. More sense when the huge wall shaped water can be lifted from the water in the air and remain as a shield. All watershields in the show were connected to the water or the bottle.

Da Psic

Verified Member
During full moon? Because that's is the source that empowers waterbenders and allow the benders of the art's kind bend in huge masses. Also, If they could, they would form the shield bigger as it's more effective, but none of them did which is irrational and thus I wouldn't conclude that suggests water shields can't be formed with the exception of avatarstate and night times.
It was during a sunny day, it happens multiple times in the show. The only reason waterbenders use small masses to defend themselves is because it is more effective to hold more water in the same place than create a thin shield in the same time frame. Same for attacking, it is more effective to use quick ice spike bursts than a huge water blob, you can compare how fast ming hua is compared to kya who is used to healing and using huge water masses than small precise sources.
https://prnt.sc/jkqria

Last edited: