• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Screech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green

Verified Member
Air bending ability-

Screech:

What this ability does is creates a loud "screech" from the air benders mouth which temporary blinds and slows the unlucky victim to be in front of you.

How it will work is tapping shift will send out a loud burst doing 1 heart, blinding your opponent for 2 seconds, and slowing for 3. And Holding shift for 3 seconds will allow you to "screech" longer causing 2 hearts of damage, blindness for 5 seconds, and slowness for 6 seconds. Holding down shift will immediately activate the move like tapping shift would and hold the blindness and slowness and at 3 seconds it will do 1 more heart of damage. After the move is done the blindness will last for 2 more seconds and the slowness 3 more seconds.

The range of this even though not seen is 6 blocks in front of you. The particles would only be shown in front of your mouth area, may be music and air particles?

And of course since this does use a lot of power and breath control it will have a long-ish cooldown.

This ability also breaks glass and ice!!!

xNuminousx

Verified Member
This ability seems very interesting, although nothing like it has been done on the show that I can recall. The closest thing I relate this to is when the kids in Avatar The Last Airbender are stuck in the swamp and that little bird lets out a blood curdling scratch and the vine hits it off. Of course, that wasn't airbending. The best I can relate this to is saying the bender is actually screaming but they use airbending to amplify the sound waves. Maybe a cooler version would be they are amplifying their burp. There is an actual burp sound effect in Minecraft, which is what we hear when we eat something. You could play that when you do this and call it Burp Blast or something. Although inappropriate in some cultures, it's another way to look at the suggestion.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Soundbending was proven to be impossible achievement from scientific and canon perspective. While I'm not a science nerd, I cannot prove it that the fact about soundbending is indeed true or not,but I can tell you that presumably this will be denied at 90% (not literal percentage) like the rest one's..

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Verified Member
The way I see it, it isn't sound bending. You are not actually manipulating the sound it's self. You can bend the air around the source of sound to depict how strong it is. So this would still be airbending, just airbending to manipulate the sound.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
http://projectkorra.com/threads/soundbending-into-airbending.959/
http://projectkorra.com/threads/new-air-subelement-new-abilities-for-air.4074/#post-55942
Don't know if these discussion proves anything about soundbending.
The way I see it, it isn't sound bending. You are not actually manipulating the sound it's self. You can bend the air around the source of sound to depict how strong it is. So this would still be airbending, just airbending to manipulate the sound.
The Point is still the same - you're manipulating air to create sound.

By the way, plantbending isn't about bending plants directly, but plantbenders bend the water inside it, despite what the literal name of the sub-element says. Bloodbending is also usually referred to bending water inside someone (while blood contains water, but maybe the actual blood isn't bent just the percentage of water, like plants, so do humans have water in them other than blood? Or is the percentage referred to the water that is inside blood?). There no point to argue on calling this "soundbending", with the same reason why "plantbending" term exist).

Green

Verified Member
Ok then it isn't sound bending it is using the air the amplify the sound very loudly.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Is there any evidence from a canon perspective?

EDIT: I found an argument from a quote from the first link. Don't take this for granted, because I don't know if that is a truefact, because like I said I'm no geek and dk the process how sound actually works: The Sky King says "In otder for an air bemder to create/ manipulate sounds, he has to vibrate each air particle at a certain interval and due the same to each air particle until it reaches his opponent. Last time i checked, air benders cant bend on a molecular level so they cant manipulate.

Ex: im in marching band and i wanted to prove this theory. I had a trumpeter face a breeze and i was opposite him so his back was to me. Using your logic, the breeze should carry the soundwaves to me since he was playing into it and i should hear him normally although he isnt facing me. He played a Bflat and just heard muffled noise. Like ive said before, air benders cant control energy."

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Verified Member
You are comparing a breeze to blasts of air... The result may be the same and I am not saying you are wrong, but that example doesn't really show what we are trying to say. Aang has before in the show used air to amplify his screams and yells.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Aang has before in the show used air to amplify his screams and yells.
Through a bison whistle? Which I can assume it can only by blowing through it, otherwise he would have took a opportunity in most cases without the use of it.

@Pickle9775, can you back up this argument? I do still think that soundbending wouldn't be possible. You, Pcikle9775, said that Airbenders can't control air molecules, which was your response to this reply:
vidant829 said:
I would call it sound bending due to what's being caused by the manipulation of those currents but in terms of actually controlling sound waves themselves, keep in mind that all they are is a transfer of energy from particle to particle. This means that Airbenders with ease could cause or direct such transfer since they control sound's primary medium of travel; air. Now also remember that we only perceive sound as what we hear because our ears uses hairs to feel the waves pattern and the brain translates it into a distinct noise. So by putting these two facts together and you can assume that an Airbender could with minimal effort, make whatever sound they so desire.
(< if that has anything to do with what we are talking about).
The Sky King said:
sound is more than just the movement of energy from particle to particle. It's the energy that causes these particles to vibrate at certain intervals. The particles aren't pushed around forward or backward, only vibrated. The only way you could use the medium to affect the wave would be to minimize the sounds affect by increasing the amount of medium (which would slow the wave Down since it would require more energy to travel through it and the wave would dissipate faster) or decreasing the amount of medium (less medium means the sounds can't travel as far). The medium doesn't affect the initial energy of the sounds nor the direction of the wave. The only way an air bender would be able to intensify a Soundwave or manipulate would be to vibrate individual air particles at specific intervals and doing this would require the utmost of skill and concentration that only an air bending God could do so. And btw, you're wrong about the ear hairs thing. We perceive sound through a tightly stretched but thin piece of skin in our ear: the ear drum. When a sound wave hits the ear drum, the ear drum vibrates and nerves connected to the ear drum are able to send that pattern to the brain which then translates it.

Last edited:

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
Airbenders control currents of air, not the density, temperature, or pressure. Sound waves exist as variations of pressure in a medium such as air. They are created by the vibration of an object, which causes the air surrounding it to vibrate.

Sshawarma

Verified Member
This ability seems very interesting, although nothing like it has been done on the show that I can recall. The closest thing I relate this to is when the kids in Avatar The Last Airbender are stuck in the swamp and that little bird lets out a blood curdling scratch and the vine hits it off. Of course, that wasn't airbending. The best I can relate this to is saying the bender is actually screaming but they use airbending to amplify the sound waves. Maybe a cooler version would be they are amplifying their burp. There is an actual burp sound effect in Minecraft, which is what we hear when we eat something. You could play that when you do this and call it Burp Blast or something. Although inappropriate in some cultures, it's another way to look at the suggestion.
LOVE UR PROFILE PIC OMG
XD

Sshawarma

Verified Member
Airbenders control currents of air, not the density, temperature, or pressure. Sound waves exist as variations of pressure in a medium such as air. They are created by the vibration of an object, which causes the air surrounding it to vibrate.
^ What he said :D

Green

Verified Member
They are using air current that are already there and amplifying them very loudly. I have done research, and everyone is saying it is cannon.... Just because air has never used it offensively doesn't mean it can't be used that way. Please people just because a move isn't exactly cannon doesn't mean it couldn't be done, it just hasn't been shown.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Don't know what amplifying air current means, but my question can they do that? Moves have to be canon in some degree at least. All of the current abilities are canon. Just name a one that isn't canon (not including a custom one).

Joeri

Verified Member
They are using air current that are already there and amplifying them very loudly. I have done research, and everyone is saying it is cannon.... Just because air has never used it offensively doesn't mean it can't be used that way. Please people just because a move isn't exactly cannon doesn't mean it couldn't be done, it just hasn't been shown.
Sound is not an air current, thus they are unable to amplify it. it's a vibration, AirBenders don't bend vibrations, they bend currents of Air like Pickle stated.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I completely agree with the sound logic, and if this is the case that sound bending is not possible. But I would like to bring to light we are talking about logic in a world where people can manipulate natural elements with martial arts and there is a whole other world people can visit via portal or meditation. And that this world contains mysterious beings with unknown powers. Just a thought xD

Green

Verified Member
What does a cone shaped thing do to your voice? IT AMPLIFIES IT. I never said they were manipulating sound itself at all!!! Never did I ever do that in my post. So...

Simplicitee

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
I completely agree with the sound logic, and if this is the case that sound bending is not possible. But I would like to bring to light we are talking about logic in a world where people can manipulate natural elements with martial arts and there is a whole other world people can visit via portal or meditation. And that this world contains mysterious beings with unknown powers. Just a thought xD
This world still has quite a lot of science in it, explained in chi and such. And the spirit world and spirits aren't the same as elements, they have different logics applying to them. If this were a spirit or some spirit aspect being talked about, sure. Sound wouldn't be completely ruled out. Airbending isn't a spirit aspect though, it has science and explainable logics applying to it. Sound requires vibrations, and while they could create sound by moving the air fast enough, they wouldn't be able to control that sound or create a screech from their vocal chords.

Status
Not open for further replies.