• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Move Suggestion For All Elements

Viosient

Verified Member
I have been watching several fights in the show, and I have noticed that about half the things the fighters do, is deflecting attacks.
For example, when Aang is fighting the Fire Lord and he blasts a giant stream of fire, Aang stops it with his fire bending which causes the fire to spread out in all directions, stopping the attack.

Something like this has kind-of already been implemented, which is two of the same attacks clashing and cancelling each other out. (This is seperate from the suggestion, but I also suggest a clashing animation. For example: if two EarthSmash's collide, there are blocks that fly in all directions, both indicating that a clash has happened, and improving aesthetics. This would really help with knowing a clash has happened, and not your bending bugging out and deleting your moves)

This is different from clashs. If a fire bender launches a stream of fire at another fire bender, that fire bender can stop the impact of the fire by bending the incoming attack. If a water bender controls a torrent of water and moves it toward their opponent, if their opponent is a water bender, they can redirect the water or stop the impact with their bending, causing the water to splash.

If you're an earth bender and an earth blast is travelling towards you, you would have the option to stop the earth blast. The way it works is, you would have to click while facing the earth blast about 1-2 times (whatever you choose). Except, you could also cease larger earth moves, like EarthSmash, but you would have to click more times to stop the attack. This could get you fatigued in real-life if you choose to block lots of attacks, which would be really fun trying to click as fast as you can to stop a boulder from damagin you. You would have to be an earth bender to block earth moves, of course.

Watch any bending fight, most likely Aang as he can bend all four elements, and you will see this happen many times.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Verified Member
A lot of these have already been suggested. And Aang, being an Airbender by principle, would use a lot of deflecting tactics. He's not really the best to represent all of the bending arts.

Viosient

Verified Member
Just because air benders deflect attacks a lot, and Aang is an air bender who deflected attacks, that doesn't mean it's physically impossible for other elements to do the same.
When Katara fought Hana, she stopped a fast moving torrent of water with her water bending.
Earth benders can cripple incoming boulders into sand.
Halting attacks was never limited to one element or person.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m saying that airbending tactics shouldn’t reflect each element. For example, Waters version of deflecting is when they use their opponents force against them. Fired version of deflection is overpowering their oppent.

My point is that each element has its own twist to deflection and Airs version of it shouldn’t be represented by all elements.

Viosient

Verified Member
Well for starters, it's literally in the show that Katara stops a torrent with her waterbending. So if deflection by stopping attacks was only for air, Katara wouldn't have done that, or would have redirected the torrent.

Secondly, there isn't anything I can think of in the ProjectKorra plugin that involves water "using their opponent's force against them". That's purely lore. The only thing I can think of, is redirecting a WaterManipulation. But earth can redirect an EarthBlast, so it's not really special to water.

Thirdly, I merely used an airbender as an example, but all elements can do it in the show. Also, this suggestion is not made to be purely lore-based either, it's also an attempt to strafe away from bending fights (practically all of them) that revolve around two people tanking each other's damage until one person's DPS is greater than another's.

Viosient

Verified Member
After re-reading some confusing posts about a dozen times, just got the context.

You're saying it's possible for other elements to use "air bending (deflection) tactics" as it's in the show, and you're also saying it shouldn't happen, because that's only for air to do that?
I don't get your point.

Last edited:

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
When he said "And Aang, being an Airbender by principle, would use a lot of deflecting tactics.", he meant as the individual of that homeland nation ethnicity, aside from their element they bent. Air Nomads are the people with the belief that "violence is for sissies", so Aang often than never he doesn't or just redirects away attacks but not straight back at his opponents, as he doesn't want cause harm.

@xNuminousx , I think you mistook the context of OP. He implied every bending element should redirect/deflect someone's of their respective element, not Airbending for all. Viosient just gave a retrospective how Aang, the avatar wielding more than on element, done that shit with his elements.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
All i was saying was that yes, every element can deflect/redirect their element but as according to traditional art, they each do it in their own ways. Yes, there are aspects that leak into other arts but to keep the 4 elements as such, four, they would need to be able to deflect in their own way with their own circumstance. For example, when an Airbender will completely deflect a projectile, a Waterbender may take that projectile, turn it around, and use it against their opponent. This is not me saying that a Waterbender would 100% not deflect that projectile similarly to the Airbender. This is me saying that the bending arts teach them to do it like my example and my example is what separates the elements and keeps them exciting.

Now, this is really just a lore argument. I don't have any issues with the suggestions given by the OP.

Viosient

Verified Member
I didn't choose redirection, because we can all see every element deflect an attack. But torrent redirection suggestions have been put down several times, so I wasn't going to bother.

Also, what's an OP?