• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Let's Work on Vamping Up Airbending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucckoo

Verified Member
NOTE: COPIED FROM MY THREAD ON THE ETRIACRAFT FORUMS AS SUGGESTED BY BUBBATREE

With Book 3 of The Legend of Korra starting up, we see Harmonic Convergence taking effect. There have been many Airbenders added to the series. Most notable (and most interesting IMO) is the Red Lotus leader Zaheer. Now, if we analyze Zaheer's airbending style, we can note that his form is less traditional, mixing in a great deal of offense with his evasiveness. With this offensive style in mind, I'd like to suggest some abilities that Ashe36 and I have thought up of.

The three abilities that I am proposing are : AirSlice, AirSmash, and AirJump.
Is this ability passive or must it be bound?:
Which element is this ability for?:
Ability Name (Passive abilities do not need names):
Damage (If applicable -- passive abilities tend to not do damage):
Area of Effect / Distance (If applicable):
Effect:
Reason this should be added:
Air Slice
  • bounded
  • damage- 2 1/2 hearts (subject to change)
  • Not as wide as AirSwipe but with a length similar to AirBlast
  • similar particle effect and procedure as AirSwipe but vertical particles
AIRBENDING SLICE! But in all seriousness, I think this move would be an excellent addition to the moveset of an offensive-minded Airbender. We have seen this move performed a number of times by Aang and I think it would be such a shame to not have it added to Project Korra.

Air Smash
  • bounded
  • damage- 1 1/2 - 2 hearts (subject to change)
  • same width and length as AirBlast
  • explosion on contact with wall, nausea 2 for 5 seconds
  • similar particle effect and procedure as AirBlast
When an opponent collides with terrain they will will take damage. Zaheer often uses his blasts of air to shove opponents into walls and thereby disorient them. I feel this ability could be utilized by highly skilled Airbenders. Many airbenders fail to manipulate their opponent's movement which I feel is necessary to winning a fight as an Airbender. This not only rewards the benders who can accomplish that, but also encourages benders who can't to start learning how to. The nausea will illustrate the effect of disorientation. I believe this move can be combined into Airblast in case there is not enough space to add all these abilities, but this can be discussed upon later.

Propel
  • bounded
  • no damage
  • propelled 5 blocks in the direction your cursor is facing
  • particle effect could be a circle of wind at your feet ( I don't feel this needs to be too fancy visually)
The main mobility moves that an Airbender has are AirBlast, Tornado, AirScooter, and AirSpout. There are several problems however that limit an Airbender's control over these abilities.
  • AirBlast gives too much of a push and can overshot where the Airbender was aiming to travel to.
  • Tornado is a bit buggy in the slightest and requires a surface to be utilized. It is also a bit sluggish.
  • AirSpout holds the same problems as Tornado.
  • AirScooter only provides horizontal transportation.
With Propel, we give Airbenders a mobility ability that they have control over. This also proves practical in combat in that with the control this ability gives, it can be used in a fast-paced fight.

I hope you take the time to go over these suggestions and maybe even give a reply on your thoughts on these new abilities.

Last edited:

Cucckoo

Verified Member
Again, I'd really like if you could remove AirSmash ...
You aren't only one who thought of this move. Sure you created the name, but I have been thinking of this move for quite a while too. I feel no obligation to take off ideas that I've had formulated before they were mentioned.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I think AirSmash would make sense being a charged ability that deals more damage than 1.5-2 hearts, perhaps around 3 hearts would be more suitable. Since it delivers a nauseating effect and creates a violent burst and dispersal of air upon impacting surfaces, it is clearly a technique of great power, so I think it should be strengthened but slower to use. I think it would look good being about the size of a charged FireBlast. Also, just wanting to be sure, does the "explosion"
from hitting walls cause any damage or is it just an effect?

Propel is something I am debating in my head; I could go either way on that. I think its inclusion makes perfect sense. it would give airbenders short, controlled burst of speed that would come natural to any airbender and more than applicable to combat. The only thing I may wonder is if it could be deemed slightly overpowered, simply from the perspective that airbenders can move as great speeds continuously and it naturally makes them more evasive then the other benders (as it should). Propel could easily be used as an effective evasion technique, which makes, sense, but could easily prove super effective for skilled airbenders to dodge attacks with which they would otherwise be hit. A way I can see it working is if it had a moderate to lengthy cooldown. Otherwise, airbenders will most likely very frequently use this to superboost their already great evasive capabilities. Then I'm afraid airbenders will just be called OP all the time and the community will be demanding air be nerfed and this whole war might break out over if airbenders really deserve nerfing...

Anyway, despite my fears, I'm liking the ideas. They could be what air needs. :)

Last edited:

Helios

Verified Member
I quite like this. It's kinda funny, I was thinking, "Why doesn't it do damage when you airblast someone into a wall"? This is similar to my thought, but better as a separate move. Propel needs a cooldown of maybe 15s or longer? I don't know about AirSlice. It seems too similar to AirSwipe to me. But nonetheless, I like having variety in damaging moves, and might just like AirSlice for that reason. I guess it could be useful if you're teaming with someone and don't want to hit them, but just your opponent? I agree with your logic in Zaheer's way of combat. Again, I like this idea and hope it gets implemented.

Kwesi

Verified Member
I quite like this. It's kinda funny, I was thinking, "Why doesn't it do damage when you airblast someone into a wall"? This is similar to my thought, but better as a separate move. Propel needs a cooldown of maybe 15s or longer? I don't know about AirSlice. It seems too similar to AirSwipe to me. But nonetheless, I like having variety in damaging moves, and might just like AirSlice for that reason. I guess it could be useful if you're teaming with someone and don't want to hit them, but just your opponent? I agree with your logic in Zaheer's way of combat. Again, I like this idea and hope it gets implemented.
Yeah, I agree with you there. It make sense that these moves be implemented in some way because they do quite depict the capacity at which airbenders can inflict damage and their power when used in a more offense-focused style, which is how Zaheer frequently demonstrated.

Joeri

Verified Member
Propel is unneeded, you can easily use airspout, tornado, airblast.... and airglide
Also, airbenders can already jump 3 blocks high and airblast can launch 7 or 250 blocks if used correctly.

What's wrong with airspout? It's not glitchy, same with tornado...

Kwesi

Verified Member
Propel is unneeded, you can easily use airspout, tornado, airblast.... and airglide
Also, airbenders can already jump 3 blocks high and airblast can launch 7 or 250 blocks if used correctly.

What's wrong with airspout? It's not glitchy, same with tornado...
I don't think AirSpout and Tornado are glitchy for fast or unstrained servers, but they can a bit sluggish when trying to use quickly, especially Tornado when falling from a great height.

Propel to me either should not be implemented or should have a fairly lengthy cooldown if implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.