• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Grappling hooks. (Yet again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
So I have made a thread about this before, and I'm going to try to make my point again because I'm a grumpy and persistent person.

I feel like chi is hardly getting any love. Then again, I understand there isn't much to chi. Most of the suggestions I've been seeing involve some kind of kick or punch, slowing and blinding effects, something I believe is already covered by Paralyze, Smokescreen and RapidPunch. Some elements now have 12 moves, as well as combos, whilst chi has 4. That's a tremendous difference. Then again, I don't believe I have to tell you that chi needs more moves.

The grappling hook has been around for a while now. At first, a couple of people were interested and crafted one, but that was basically it. Nobody on our server uses one. Earthbenders use their catapults, chiblockers don't even bother. In pvp, you die too quickly to be able to make effective use of one.

Water bottles are an entirely different story. You can use your normal moves without them, and you can "safely" die without suffering any major losses. It's a luxury item, if you will.

If it's the ability to use it for both earth and chi that's bothering you, you could just make the skill show up as grey and list it in both the list of chi and earth skills.

My point? The grappling hook is too underused, ineffective and relatively expensive to be remotely useful. That's why I think it should be an ability, not an item. You cannot deny chi moves that it desperately needs and fit perfectly. Chi needs more moves, and not just punchy kicky ones, but utility moves, useful even when not in pvp. Not to mention, you'll need more than the 4 moves we have now to make half decent combos for it. There is some perfectly good code just lying around, and no one touches it. That's wrong.

Last edited:

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
Well chi has hijump which is an utility move but I see your point.
Know could you be more detailed about grappling hook as a move because having the same mechanics with out the fishing rood to create the "rope" animation would be impossible

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
Well chi has hijump which is an utility move but I see your point.
Know could you be more detailed about grappling hook as a move because having the same mechanics with out the fishing rood to create the "rope" animation would be impossible
I'd guess with normal particles in that case. It's nice as an item, but just doesn't work and feels odd in a plugin filled with abilities. As for HighJump, we actually removed its cooldown on our server, and even then, the move remains relatively untouched by most chiblockers.

Gahshunk

Verified Member
The funny thing is chi blockers didn't really have portable grappling hooks in the series. Only metalbenders carry spools of bendable metal.

Dr_CrossFire

Verified Member
The funny thing is chi blockers didn't really have portable grappling hooks in the series. Only metalbenders carry spools of bendable metal.
They always have their gloves though, like Asami. Assuming chiblockers are always properly equipped and don't wear some casual Friday night clothes in the plugin, which we should, because their abilities are limited without said equipment, it should make perfect sense. (Also, if they aren't equipped, metal benders can't grapple either because there'd be no metal to bend.) Besides, with Chi's lack of moves, you can't really take the liberty to not add it as an official move.

Also, I believe there have been plenty of chiblockers in the show that actually swinged on ropes. Even if it isn't canon, it makes perfect sense for them to be able to, with their technologically advanced equipment. If metal benders always carry metal, it shouldn't be different for chiblockers to carry grappling hooks.

Last edited:

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
You said you had made this thread before, therefore I am denying this one. One thread per suggestion is generally sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.