• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Flight Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draai

So flight is obviously in need of some tweaking.

While initially it worked out as a move, with the addition of elytra there's so much more potential.

My idea is as follows;

How it would work is that the player would need to have some distance between themselves and the ground, at which point the flight slot would be selected and clicked. This would put the player into elytra mode where they glide down slowly and will speed up when looking down, slowing down when looking up. Thinking about this alone you might say that flight should grant unlimited flight time rather than forcing you to glide down and lose altitude. The solution for this problem is below.

Going with a waterarms "new bind list" style would be perfect. When the flight slot is clicked, the bending board is replaced with 4 moves:
  1. Boost
  2. Blitz
  3. Hover
  4. Land
Boost would be a click move that pushes you further so it allows you to regain altitude, basically allowing that infinite flight concept to function. Boost would have a cooldown, so there would be a degree of skill necessary to maintain flight.

Blitz would be a more offensive move, similar to swiftstream. It could be used when flying past other players either to cause damage and knockback or to take them with the player and possibly drag them up to the sky to cause fall damage.

Hover would be the move that is already present in the current version of flight but disabled for balancing reasons. Making it a move instead of a constant ability would somewhat reduce its power as the player would have to select the slot, on top of this the player would not be able to do anything other than type and look around while hovering. Hover would have a cooldown as well and if the player were to be hit while hovering they would be knocked out of the sky and possibly take fall damage.

Land would be the move to end your flight. It would be a click move and it would need no cooldown.

I hope you will consider this idea as I think it would add a new depth to the outdated flight move.

Last edited:

Loony

Verified Member
The issue I see with this is that it turns the move from being Flight into just an Airbender using a glider. Flight was an actual move from the show, it didn't need a glider.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
This sounds more like an idea for Project Korra Items, because it involves an Elytra which would then be considered the "glider" for minecraft, than a Flight Revamp. The flight we see already in the plugin is pretty much exactly how it was in the show so I see no need to revamp it. It is "OP" but servers do not have to include it in their server; it's not an essential part of the plugin. I disagree with this post.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
In a way, we do need laying-down-on-a-belly position, as you would be able go through 1x1 structure gaps. And btw that's canon.

I h8 the Waterarms' bind system, and I made a suggestion on how can that be revamped. All of your list binds could just overall fit in one ability (Blizt from custom-remake combo, Hover sneak, Land double left click), so I find really unnecessary to apply that system.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt

Last edited:

Draai

I feel like at the very least flight should have the same visuals and sounds as elytra do. Making it an item would be pointless because everyone can use elytra, but making it an ability that can be used whenever and wherever is what would make the flight move worth having in my opinion.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I think having them laying down would be better, but I don't agree with this whole rework. Flight as it is now is straight-forward and just as it is in the show. Having the sounds would be really cool though, and I like the idea of adding a Swift Stream-like combo for flight into the plugin; it's originally in JedCore.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I bet most of the time Zaheer was soaring vertically on his feet.

Glider is already an item, but it currently works derpy. It needs to be tweak so that it could transform into a elytra, and give a few more functions to that item as well.

Imo, gliders are so iconic for airbenders in the show that I think it should be in a MUST-create list for PK, while on the other Flight is rare and op, and that's how it was intented and suppose to be. Now, I'm not saying Flight doesn't need to be changed, but I think it should and I agree with you that, but just doing these changes... not good.

P.S. I do like some of the new additions you mention, such as laying-down temperal position, as I had already suggested it and sadly it was denied. Another: I think it would also be nice to control your flight other than "the direction you're looking at", because I find it quite awkward when you're in need to lift upwards (Zaheer didn't have to stare at the sky unlike how I do it, which gives me an look of an idiot lol).

Last edited:

Leo071

Verified Member
i think it should be made like the show that when Zaheer says: "Let go your earthly tether enter the void empty and become wind" they fly
however if they get this wrong or miss pelt they fall, but if they get it right have no sentence saying in the chat that they can fly but rather have them jump in survival mode to see (it has to start on top of the cliff) if they can actually fly for themselves

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Actually, that's a nice idea. Like with fire breath, saying that poem should unlock/activate the ability. Thought it should be added as an addition for RPG.

Leo071

Verified Member
i think also that on the list that you provided of boost, hover, etc. we see Zaheer using airblasts which was the only move he used whilst flying but in your list you never provided with an ability such as airblast, you did add blitz but thats not airblast but try to consider that you should also allow the users to add custom moves

Leo071

Verified Member
Perhaps this could be included in a resource pack so you cant see the glider when flying but i suggest that this is made into a separate pack from the original one

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Perhaps this could be included in a resource pack so you cant see the glider when flying but i suggest that this is made into a separate pack from the original one
You mean elytra? Making it invisible would just leave all players, not just airbenders, looking as if their flying without any aid of an item when they are actually in fact are wearing it.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Just have the plugin, rather retexturing it through resource pack, create insivible elytra when it is trigger through the ability. Surely that is someway possible, as I seen a plugin that made the swimming in water realistic by having the person position and move in that mode without the elytra appearing.

Leo071

Verified Member
i think the elytra should disappear when they say "Let go your earthly tether enter the void and become wind" but still should provide gliding and the correct position for flying to help the move and the person getting to know the flying ability we know that this is possible because with the firebreath move it changed the colour if this can be done with the elytra i would greatly like it to be added

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
i think the elytra should disappear when they say "Let go your earthly tether enter the void and become wind" but still should provide gliding and the correct position for flying to help the move and the person getting to know the flying ability we know that this is possible because with the firebreath move it changed the colour if this can be done with the elytra i would greatly like it to be added
Things don't disappear when you say that (Now that I see, the poem he read doesn't actually have effect airbender what so ever - all Zaheer did is chanted it so he could remind himself on what he must do to unlock it). Just remove the item manually afterwards If you don't find the need. Regardless, airbenders flight ability should still be able to fly with the glider (if it ever gets redesign as an elytra) if (s)he doesn't want to use that ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.