• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Earthbending from Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios

Verified Member
Why aren't earthbenders able to bend with dirt or earthbendable blocks in their inventory? I imagine this working much like bottlebending in waterbending, but some moves wouldn't make sense if you used this such as ShockWave or RaiseEarth ect. EarthBlast would make sense for this, but I don't know if the earth would come back to you. I was also thinking that other moves would require more dirt to use.

Examples: Dai Lee agents using the Rock-Fists and Toph using her meteorite bracelet. They bent with something they had on them rather that drawing their source from the earth.

Let me know what you think.

Adam

Verified Member
Well, what if you're in the middle of the ocean?
Or if you want some fast movement?

V

Vidcom

Well, what if you're in the middle of the ocean?
Or if you want some fast movement?
For oceans, if you're an earthbender it's your own fault for being there :p
Just run placing blocks to the sides for fast movement

V

Vidcom

If something similar to this has already been done for water bending, why not earth?
Because water is fairly sparing to find, with the exception of bloodbending, and plantbending just about makes your life easier but only sometimes, so a portable permanent source of water is needed for many situations. However earth is literally everywhere, excluding the ocean, and even then you can still bend the ocean floor to great effect as an earthbender.

Kwesi

Verified Member
Because water is fairly sparing to find, with the exception of bloodbending, and plantbending just about makes your life easier but only sometimes, so a portable permanent source of water is needed for many situations. However earth is literally everywhere, excluding the ocean, and even then you can still bend the ocean floor to great effect as an earthbender.
Yeah, that's immediately why I thought bottlebending was implemented. I mean, you do see water being carried in a waterskin around by Katara which she uses for waterbending for the same restrictive reasons.

I don't see this idea as a necessity, but it could be cool to see.

owlcool

Verified Member
Huh. I guess it is just on all the servers I visit I can't earthbend any blocks to make them come above water. But that ain't any of my business.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
Why aren't earthbenders able to bend with dirt or earthbendable blocks in their inventory? I imagine this working much like bottlebending in waterbending, but some moves wouldn't make sense if you used this such as ShockWave or RaiseEarth ect. EarthBlast would make sense for this, but I don't know if the earth would come back to you. I was also thinking that other moves would require more dirt to use.

Examples: Dai Lee agents using the Rock-Fists and Toph using her meteorite bracelet. They bent with something they had on them rather that drawing their source from the earth.

Let me know what you think.
I can understand the mentality behind this, but when it comes to meshing with Minecraft, carrying around the blocks with you just doesn't make sense. In Minecraft, using water bottles as water skins makes relative sense as you can't stack them and it creates a relatively realistic limit on the amount you could have at the ready(9, for your hotbar). Also, these containers are quite small. But in the show, you never see Earthbenders carrying around huge hunks of earth with them to bend at people. The Minecraft player may be able to carry tons of stuff inside their inventory, but it's not what an Earthbender would realistically be able to do. An interesting idea, but it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion.

Helios

Verified Member
I can understand the mentality behind this, but when it comes to meshing with Minecraft, carrying around the blocks with you just doesn't make sense. In Minecraft, using water bottles as water skins makes relative sense as you can't stack them and it creates a relatively realistic limit on the amount you could have at the ready(9, for your hotbar). Also, these containers are quite small. But in the show, you never see Earthbenders carrying around huge hunks of earth with them to bend at people. The Minecraft player may be able to carry tons of stuff inside their inventory, but it's not what an Earthbender would realistically be able to do. An interesting idea, but it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion.
You must keep in mind that Minecraft is hard to scale to anything in real life. I think that your point on that is rather unfair, seeing as you can't carry dirt without it being a meter cubed. I don't know why this doesn't make sense to you when this idea was expressed a number of times in the show by Toph and the Dai Lee agents.

Adam

Verified Member

I see your point there, and i agree:no earthbenders in the show actually carried rocks with them. But can't there be a way to bend a small amount of blocks in your inventory, and do less damage, like you would throw "smaller" rocks?

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member
You must keep in mind that Minecraft is hard to scale to anything in real life. I think that your point on that is rather unfair, seeing as you can't carry dirt without it being a meter cubed. I don't know why this doesn't make sense to you when this idea was expressed a number of times in the show by Toph and the Dai Lee agents.
I can see what you mean by that, like smaller rocks, and that would probably make sense, but it still wouldn't necessarily be all that useful, and they would need to find a way to limit how much you could carry. Maybe be able to craft Dai Li rock hand glove thingies as an addition to the RPG aspect of the plugin?
I see your point there, and i agree:no earthbenders in the show actually carried rocks with them. But can't there be a way to bend a small amount of blocks in your inventory, and do less damage, like you would throw "smaller" rocks?

Orion_Solus

Verified Member
This is one of them debatable ones. Let's say they implement this then they will have to add a cooldown to prevent earthbenders from spaming EarthBlast because this is really the only move that requires a solid source block
(LavaSourge requires a liquid source block and EarthArmor needs two blocks).
They actually did carry earth with them:

upload_2014-10-19_19-23-58.jpeg

Kwesi

Verified Member
This is one of them debatable ones. Let's say they implement this then they will have to add a cooldown to prevent earthbenders from spaming EarthBlast because this is really the only move that requires a solid source block

View attachment 232

I suppose if it were ever implemented those kind of restrictions could place a nice balance on them.

Helios

Verified Member
I can see what you mean by that, like smaller rocks, and that would probably make sense, but it still wouldn't necessarily be all that useful, and they would need to find a way to limit how much you could carry. Maybe be able to craft Dai Li rock hand glove thingies as an addition to the RPG aspect of the plugin?
I like this idea. Maybe they can also craft a meteorite bracelet with obsidian? Has a small amount of uses maybe?

Pickle9775

Staff member
Head Moderator
Verified Member
If something similar to this has already been done for water bending, why not earth?
Because in the show(s) the only earthbender known to carry any earth with them was Toph. Even then it was only a small meteorite bracelet. No earthbender carries around 64 cubic meters of rock with them at all times. Also, earthblast is the most damaging move by the default config. The ability to rapid fire it would just be Over powered.

TheBlueSpirit

Verified Member

View attachment 232

Sure, they carried earth with them, but not on them. In your first example, in minecraft those would be placed blocks on a big ship, and in the other, placed blocks in a snowmobile type thing. Earthbenders never carried Earth directly on them like waterbenders did, in those water skins, so these examples don't support bending from inventory. Still, I see the point you're trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.