• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Debating Section

SuperBower118

Verified Member
So I posted this a while ago on Mist's thread on An Important and Honest Discussion on the state of our community. Mist at least acknowledged it, but I haven't noticed anything close to a debate section. This is why I'm bringing it up again.

Each branch of ProjectKorra would have it's debate section subforum, like how ProjectKorra (Core) and ProjectKorra (RPG) and so on, have their General Discussion, Bug Reports, and Suggestion subforums. This would allow for easy access to it. In the debate section, users would be able do some of the following:

• Have intense conversations and obviously debates about current suggestions, past suggestions, or denied suggestions
  • Bring back older suggestions, denied or not, without it being necroposting.
  • Have the ability to freely voice their opinion without fear of threads being locked, or digressing too far away from the main point of X person's Suggestion.
TL;DR

It'd allow for active forum users to be able to have actual discussions, rather than to have a series of five posts, and then oh boy this thread's gonna get locked now.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Moderators (with Concept Designer agreement) could try to create and move replies to the debate section when the participators of the thread go off-topic (eg. original post is about how chi bending can be revamped, and a few members change the subject into about how walloffire and fireblast can be balanced!).

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Though, there are some things I don't agree with:
1. Than being a sub section for the three sections for each forum, I think it should just be a fifth standalone section (reminding that there is a new forth one, called "Support) a sub for plugin's, but not into any more deeper than that.
2. Debate Threads still should be lock when a flamewar inhabits it or for certain circumstances, such as violating forum rule and ect.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
Though, there are some things I don't agree with:
1. Than being a sub section for the three sections for each forum, I think it should just be a fifth standalone section (reminding that there is a new forth one, called "Support) a sub for plugin's, but not into any more deeper than that.
2. Debate Threads still should be lock when a flamewar inhabits it or for certain circumstances, such as violating forum rule and ect.
There's a difference between Flame Wars and getting Off Topic.

Also if a user violates a forum rule, the thread shouldn't be punished- the user should.
(Not sure if they lock / remove threads here for stuff like that)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Getting off-topic from the main subject, but while it still is relative with pk - that another debate could be moved my moderator to another thread.

Just so that peeople debating go from "illumination and fireshield" to "waterwave and phasechange", when the second doesn't have any connection to the 1st at all.

Hero

Verified Member
We totally need this!
We don't. The whole point of suggesting stuff is to debate while it's still meta. Having a suggestion area and a debate area would be redundant because you are supposed to be debating on your post anyways. If you think this is offering a second chance for denied ideas, it's not. You can just revise your idea and try again; if that doesn't work, it was probably bad to begin with. And off-topic comments need to be deleted, not placed somewhere else to be even more off-topic. This really isn't need because it's redundant.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
. If you think this is offering a second chance for denied ideas, it's not. You can just revise your idea and try again; if that doesn't work, it was probably bad to begin with.
This is assuming that the Concept Designers are 100% right, which they aren't.
While you can view this as being a second chance for denied ideas, if you're debating an idea that you haven't made amends to, whether it's yours or another's, you should be logically incorrect in some form, at least in the CDs' and/or the community's eyes.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I agree with Hero on this one. A debate section could be cool for random topics however I think debates over suggestions should remain in their respective threads/categories. The suggestion forum is already like a huge debate area, only if Concept Designers feel it's not Core worthy, they lock it. And you could use the General Discussions section of the Community Hub if you wanna have debates, that section isn't used often enough anyways.

I just don't see the point in having the suggestion forums for both Core, Spirits, RPG, Items, Add-Ons, and Resource Pack (I think, etc?) then have a few General Discussion areas you could debate in, AND THEN have a whole debate section. As Hero said, it seems redundant.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Without debating sections, we allow a concept designer (aka one opinion) over magority of what others think. Of course debates shouldn't be open (like get lock by a moderation or a ticket system that requires to insert a link of a...) until there is a -locked sugestion presented.

Hero, you complained on how concept designers process of giving their verdict to this thread is flawed. Debate sections, which are the only method I could think of that would solve this issue.

I also like to ask that the debation section better not be split into plugin departments. Since it would too much organized that would leave it cluttered/unnecessary and the OPs would probably include the links from the respective Suggestions.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt