• Proceed with caution! Unofficial add-on plugins and abilities are not supported by the ProjectKorra staff. We will not provide support for broken add-ons. Download at your own risk.
  • Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Bending Game (Open for name suggestions)

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Hello people!

This thread should serve as a place to post latest progress on a small bending experiment I'm working on, a game which allows you to bend! :)
It's nothing big, just something for fun. On here I plan to post progress and calls for suggestions when I don't know what's the best approach to something for example.

This project is open to name suggestions. Let your creativity go wild.

If you have an idea that you think would be great to see in this project please do tell me, the more community input the better. Please try to keep it compact.

So now then, here is the current progress. Important notifications and other things can be found in the post directly below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Information: I am using Unity 5.6 to develop this game. For models, I've downloaded A low-poly assets pack, Unity-chan and fire particle effects. Links to the respective pages are listed below.
Unity: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download
Unity-chan: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18705 (Will probably be replaced by a different model)
Low-poly assets: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/58821
Particles: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/73777

Current version: Some very early ALPHA

Current features:
Working on:
  • Proper particle functionality
  • Proper movement and ability casting functionality
Current question: See post below!

Please do post your suggestions! :)

/* Lots more to come, hopefully */

- Finn

Last edited:

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Question 1:
What is the best way for users to move and cast abilities, and what is the best view option?

There are a few options.

Movement:
  • Exactly the same as minecraft, WASD for movement, mouse motion for rotation and other buttons for casting.
  • Look in the direction of the mouse, W moves towards the mouse, S away from the mouse, A & D work along with the W or S button.
  • Click on terrain to move the player towards the clicked location. Use the keyboard to cast abilities.
  • Anything you can think of and seems reasonable.
View:
  • First person view
  • Third person view
  • Both and allow switching via a hotkey.
Question 2:
What is the best way to implement source selection?

Sure we don't want earth- and waterbenders to summon earth and water out of thin air, but how SHOULD source selection work? Leave your ideas down below please! :) (I feel like some concept designers would have good ideas for this)

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Movement:
  • Exactly the same as minecraft, WASD for movement, mouse motion for rotation and other buttons for casting.
  • Look in the direction of the mouse, W moves towards the mouse, S away from the mouse, A & D work along with the W or S button.
  • Click on terrain to move the player towards the clicked location. Use the keyboard to cast abilities.
  • Anything you can think of and seems reasonable.
Don't know If we're on the same page, but remember when:
  • Tenzin had to spin around (move cursor around in 360*) to create spout?
  • Katara had to spam left click (wave her arms around) to create and sustain Octopusform?
  • Aang had to run in a circle to create tornado?
I would LOVE it If those were the requirements for the abilities to activate. It's dull and repetitive with the same old left click, sneak, or left click and sneak control limitations. I want movement involve, not just twerking dance (crouch) and punching the air.

Sure we don't want earth- and waterbenders to summon earth and water out of thin air, but how SHOULD source selection work? Leave your ideas down below please! :) (I feel like some concept designers would have good ideas for this)
If waterbending takes water from infinitive water source (2x2 pool being the often example), it should never run out of water when bending out and shaping a construct out and from it. However, If you surge from a 1x1x1 water block, then of course that's the size of the shield you should get and the water should disappear.

Earth doesn't summon out its element out of thin air. Does it? Never recall it ever doing so.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
View:
  • First person view
  • Third person view
  • Both and allow switching via a hotkey.
I'd say third person view. The Way LOK was presented in a video game by nick., I really do like how the fights were happening. It would add a good mmorpg feel to it, which I would like.

I think it would be intriguing from that kind of view perspective.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
As far as HOW to select the source, not sure. I will provide my ideas an add on to them as my thought process progresses.

Source Selected
Water
---==+==---
In Project Korra, when a use selects a water source, you see the smoke appear. In this game, you should be able to see a little column of water appear and be stationary. It shouldn't be that big, just small enough and visible enough to be able to tell: "Hey, I'm selected! Now do something with me!" For example, if I were to click, then the closest water source in that direction (within different radii) would start to rise a bit. It could rise and sit there for testing but as you progress in your animation skills, it should rise and while it sits there it has a little flowing animation, resembling it being active.

So, in a scenario, let's see I want to use a Water Manipulation in this game you're making. I click to select the source. The game scans for near by sources and finds a location. In this location, a small column of water will rise with a flowing animation. I will be able to look around and move around a bit, so long as I stay near this column. If I move away, it falls. The column will stay until I execute the next trigger. If I click again, the column will then rise up out of the water and be shot towards which ever direction I clicked.

I also suggest, if you were to have different water moves (For example a Water Manipulation and a Torrent) they should all have the same BEGINNING animation. So for water manipulation, you'd select the source and the small column of water would rise, same thing would happen for torrent. You click and the column would rise. However, with torrent, when you would shift instead of being shot outward like water manipulation, you'd see a stream of water come from that selected column and towards you. Then, it'd start circling you once it reached you and wait for another trigger (like a click).

Earth
---==+==---
So for earth, it's going to be pretty similar to water. There will be a selection animation that waits for a trigger similarly to how the small water column waits for a trigger. When you select an earth source, a small stub will appear out of the ground indicating that you've selected it. Then, depending on the move, the stub will pull out of the ground and do something different depending on the move.

In a scenario, let's use Earth Blast. You shift/click/whatever to select the source, the stub appears out of the ground waiting for your command, then when you activate the actual blast the stub rises out of the ground and is shot outward toward what ever direction you choose. This one would be more simple than the water animation because once it rises it just sits there, it doesn't have to have any waiting animation.

And same thing for water, each Earth move could have the same beginning animation. For earth blast when you select a source the stub appears and for Catapult the stub would appear. Only, for Catapult the stub would appear under the users feet, blast them up, and sit there. It really wouldn't do anything but disappear eventually.

Stance
---==+==---
When you select a source, your character should enter a stance. They could just get down in a mild squatting position, they could have their arms outwards pointing towards the source, or what ever you can do. But this stance will represent the bender bending the element rather than the element just rising on it's own. And the bender will be in this stance until they either release the water/earth they are holding or they use it. Also, if the player is an Earthbender, they will be slowed a bit while in this stance. Earthbenders are supposed to be a stable, stubborn element so they'll want to hold their ground while bending. However, a waterbender is fluid and uses someones force against them so they shouldn't be bound by their own force. Just a thought.

I'm not entirely sure what all is required to accomplish my suggestions or this project as a whole. While thinking about it and seeing your question about sourcing, this is just what I thought of. If it's impossible for you to do this at all or at this point in time, feel free to disregard it. In no way am I demanding that these things happen, just a simple suggestion. Good luck with your project!

xNuminousx

Verified Member
If you're making an earthblast, have it jut up into the air, in front of the user's torso and then shoot out.
The stub is more for a universal animation. Making it easier on him. Some earth moves may be larger so you don't know what BELOW the stub. But if you pull the rock up all the way, than all the moves will look the same. He already said he wasn't the greatest 3D designer so this makes it all decently universal and easier on him.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Either on of those. Although, the keyboard-abilities would provide more ways to use different abilities imo.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
I'd be interested to hear more about the details of the development of the game such as what you are using to create it.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
As far as HOW to select the source, not sure. I will provide my ideas an add on to them as my thought process progresses.

Source Selected
Water
---==+==---
In Project Korra, when a use selects a water source, you see the smoke appear. In this game, you should be able to see a little column of water appear and be stationary. It shouldn't be that big, just small enough and visible enough to be able to tell: "Hey, I'm selected! Now do something with me!" For example, if I were to click, then the closest water source in that direction (within different radii) would start to rise a bit. It could rise and sit there for testing but as you progress in your animation skills, it should rise and while it sits there it has a little flowing animation, resembling it being active.

So, in a scenario, let's see I want to use a Water Manipulation in this game you're making. I click to select the source. The game scans for near by sources and finds a location. In this location, a small column of water will rise with a flowing animation. I will be able to look around and move around a bit, so long as I stay near this column. If I move away, it falls. The column will stay until I execute the next trigger. If I click again, the column will then rise up out of the water and be shot towards which ever direction I clicked.

I also suggest, if you were to have different water moves (For example a Water Manipulation and a Torrent) they should all have the same BEGINNING animation. So for water manipulation, you'd select the source and the small column of water would rise, same thing would happen for torrent. You click and the column would rise. However, with torrent, when you would shift instead of being shot outward like water manipulation, you'd see a stream of water come from that selected column and towards you. Then, it'd start circling you once it reached you and wait for another trigger (like a click).

Earth
---==+==---
So for earth, it's going to be pretty similar to water. There will be a selection animation that waits for a trigger similarly to how the small water column waits for a trigger. When you select an earth source, a small stub will appear out of the ground indicating that you've selected it. Then, depending on the move, the stub will pull out of the ground and do something different depending on the move.

In a scenario, let's use Earth Blast. You shift/click/whatever to select the source, the stub appears out of the ground waiting for your command, then when you activate the actual blast the stub rises out of the ground and is shot outward toward what ever direction you choose. This one would be more simple than the water animation because once it rises it just sits there, it doesn't have to have any waiting animation.

And same thing for water, each Earth move could have the same beginning animation. For earth blast when you select a source the stub appears and for Catapult the stub would appear. Only, for Catapult the stub would appear under the users feet, blast them up, and sit there. It really wouldn't do anything but disappear eventually.

Stance
---==+==---
When you select a source, your character should enter a stance. They could just get down in a mild squatting position, they could have their arms outwards pointing towards the source, or what ever you can do. But this stance will represent the bender bending the element rather than the element just rising on it's own. And the bender will be in this stance until they either release the water/earth they are holding or they use it. Also, if the player is an Earthbender, they will be slowed a bit while in this stance. Earthbenders are supposed to be a stable, stubborn element so they'll want to hold their ground while bending. However, a waterbender is fluid and uses someones force against them so they shouldn't be bound by their own force. Just a thought.

I'm not entirely sure what all is required to accomplish my suggestions or this project as a whole. While thinking about it and seeing your question about sourcing, this is just what I thought of. If it's impossible for you to do this at all or at this point in time, feel free to disregard it. In no way am I demanding that these things happen, just a simple suggestion. Good luck with your project!
You see, the animation is not the problem. I can fiddle around with that until I get a good effect. The actual selection though, that is the problem. In minecraft, the world is created from blocks. You select a block, and you use that to bend. In a non-blocky game however, what would determine the size and exact location and everything? I guess it will simply be preset (the size etc), but the user WILL have to look at the source, and then shoot I'm afraid.

SuperBower118

Verified Member
You see, the animation is not the problem. I can fiddle around with that until I get a good effect. The actual selection though, that is the problem. In minecraft, the world is created from blocks. You select a block, and you use that to bend. In a non-blocky game however, what would determine the size and exact location and everything? I guess it will simply be preset (the size etc), but the user WILL have to look at the source, and then shoot I'm afraid.
Make a couple of presets for size (Small, Medium, Large, etc.)
Let's say if a person uses earthblast, they'd take a small portion of the ground out, and if they use EarthSmash, they'd take a medium portion of the ground out.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Just leave it as blocky size. It's the simplest way of choosing the size, shape and all that. Regarding the looking park:

I can only see it working compability with that direction chosen for the movement thingy.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Finn, in this software-thingy are you able to determine the direction the user is facing? I assume so judging by your Fire/Air-blast gifs. If so, are you also able to define a certain range outward from the user? Like in minecraft you could have a fireblast shoot out 10 blocks in which ever direction, any more and it'd cancel.

My suggestion, is that all players will have a base range, some could be more than others I suppose. If you're near or on water, then when you select a source it will look for the nearest water source ON that range line. So in minecraft, if you were to set the base range at 3 blocks, if I shifted with Water Manipulation than the water block that I'm facing that's ON the 3 block range line would be selected. If there wasn't a water block on the range line, then it'd start checking for sources within maybe 10 blocks from me. If it couldn't find any in the direction I'm looking, then nothing would select and I'd have to try again somewhere else.

Although, not sure how you're gonna determine what is "water." Is water material already determined in this software? Idk. Just a thought. If this didn't help, maybe it helped you figure out an alternative way.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member
Finn, in this software-thingy are you able to determine the direction the user is facing? I assume so judging by your Fire/Air-blast gifs. If so, are you also able to define a certain range outward from the user? Like in minecraft you could have a fireblast shoot out 10 blocks in which ever direction, any more and it'd cancel.

My suggestion, is that all players will have a base range, some could be more than others I suppose. If you're near or on water, then when you select a source it will look for the nearest water source ON that range line. So in minecraft, if you were to set the base range at 3 blocks, if I shifted with Water Manipulation than the water block that I'm facing that's ON the 3 block range line would be selected. If there wasn't a water block on the range line, then it'd start checking for sources within maybe 10 blocks from me. If it couldn't find any in the direction I'm looking, then nothing would select and I'd have to try again somewhere else.

Although, not sure how you're gonna determine what is "water." Is water material already determined in this software? Idk. Just a thought. If this didn't help, maybe it helped you figure out an alternative way.
About ability range. It's set in lifetime instead of range. So an ability for example lives for 0.5 seconds. :)