• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Arch's Essay

xNuminousx

"Extracting ice as a passive would not be a good use of its potential, or our developers time."
You can bend the Ice, can you not? Why not be able to extract it?

"was not able to fully give the waterbender ice"
Well obviously.... Anytime someone used it they were fighting.... You never really got a true minecraft survival sense out of the show as far as ice goes. We see them make ice and use it. Hama creates water out of thin air, turns it into ice, and throws it. How can we say that she was NOT able to use that ice for something else? If it were cold enough it would have stayed frozen (Like the North/South pole maybe?)

"You could say that this passive ability has uses in building, but may I remind you of the ever present threat of ice melting?"
It wouldn't melt if you were in a cold biome or not near a light. I used Water Tribe builds as an example (And generally Water Tribes are around snow where a water source is plentiful)....

"ice is only obtainable through the use of a Silk Touch Enchanted Pickaxe, which is not very hard to obtain with the 1.8 enchantment update"
Torches aren't hard to obtain yet we still have Illumination....

"as a building material it is horrible"
I'd like to disagree... When building in snowy areas (Such as a water tribe, ice fortress, etc) ice would be amazing to have. And with the addition of Waterbending, brought to you by Project Korra, icy builds are more frequent to add an "RPG" feel for Waterbending.

"we aren’t going to sit here and analyze it for 30 minutes and trying to read in between the lines."
You're supposed to think outside the box to make this plugin great.... Why would you NOT read in between the lines? By reading in between the lines you can see new possibilities that maybe were not mentioned. I think you SHOULD focus more on what's written in the fine print so you can spot stuff maybe others cannot see.

"he problem is you have an average of 15 suggestions every week and you cannot look over them all in the span of a day if you have to spend about 30-40 minutes per thread trying to write a reply."
I honestly have no issues going through the forums... There's so little posts it's not an issue for me. (And I do look through most of them (I would say all but I can't prove that soooo)).

"I know for a fact that I can see a poorly thought out suggestion when it is only about 5 sentences."
Then maybe as a CONCEPT DESIGNER you could see the holes and DESIGN the CONCEPT of the suggestion a bit better? I mean... It is your role..... Why not help out your fellow community members when developing a suggestion?

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Loony suggested I list 100 reasons. Im going to list 10 really good ones, because 100 is way too much for 1 thread.

1. This ability is a spin off of Exctraction just for ice
2. This passive is useless in places where you can buy ice
3. This passive is even more useless if you think about the ability to build into ice in a snowy biome via water
4. Waterbending is not for resource collection, they never even used it in the show, unlike the Earthbenders who we see being able to extrapilate the tiny pieces of earth and coal from rock and doing the inverse with metal.
5. This ability would conflict with most of the sourcing currently available to waterbenders, considering a lot of moves use left click.
6. You do not have to provide a valid reasoning for why you dislike a thread, you don't even have to accept or deny them, it doesn't take time to say Oh I agree or Oh I disagree etc etc.
7. I did read between the lines and the holes, but sadly there were more holes and lines than actual thoughts and ideas.
8. Torches are not hard to obtain, but you can't place a torch and have it constantly follow you, or hold it in your hand to produce light without the use of client modification via Optifine or something else.
9. Water Tribe builds are usually made of snow might I add because everything is covered in snow up there, ice is present but not as frequently used as quartz, snow etc etc (I've actually built a watertribe build so I speak from experience
10. Extracting ice would require actually taking the ice with you, not just making a new ice block in your inventory, that would make the move really really overpowered.

xNuminousx

Pretty sure that was the point tbh.... Except Extraction is an easy shift where with this one you actually have to work for it (via punching)
And it's also useful in places where you can sell ice
3. This passive is even more useless if you think about the ability to build into ice in a snowy biome via water
I didn't understand this one.... If it would help you with building into ice why would it be useless?
4. Waterbending is not for resource collection, they never even used it in the show
Because all we ever see from Waterbending is fighting and healing... We never see the resourceful side of it (If we do, please show because I can't recall any). This is going onto the Canon argument.
5. This ability would conflict with most of the sourcing currently available to waterbenders, considering a lot of moves use left click.
Then let's design a concept (see what I did there?) and let's expand on the idea.
6. You do not have to provide a valid reasoning for why you dislike a thread, you don't even have to accept or deny them, it doesn't take time to say Oh I agree or Oh I disagree etc etc.
Irrelevant to why it should be denied/accepted. That IS the topic on hand and what Loony was referring to in the 100 reasons.
7. I did read between the lines and the holes, but sadly there were more holes and lines than actual thoughts and ideas.
Irrelevant
8. Torches are not hard to obtain, but you can't place a torch and have it constantly follow you, or hold it in your hand to produce light without the use of client modification via Optifine or something else.
Irrelevant
9. Water Tribe builds are usually made of snow might I add because everything is covered in snow up there, ice is present but not as frequently used as quartz, snow etc etc (I've actually built a watertribe build so I speak from experience
It really depends on the builder. Are they creating a replica? Are they making a spoof of the tribes? Maybe their just using their own design?
10. Extracting ice would require actually taking the ice with you, not just making a new ice block in your inventory, that would make the move really really overpowered.
This refers to my first contradiction: You actually have to work for it. As in, you're sitting there punching the ice like it's a log. How is that overpowered?

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Pretty sure that was the point tbh.... Except Extraction is an easy shift where with this one you actually have to work for it (via punching)
You have to work to get lava from lavaflow too, its so hard just to click a bucket and get the lava I can feel the sweat dropping from my arms as I do it.
And it's also useful in places where you can sell ice
Give me 3 places where that is even possible because I highly doubt that, also its irrelevant as you said you actually have to work for it and therefore would not be efficient.
I didn't understand this one.... If it would help you with building into ice why would it be useless?
Water freezes in cold biomes. and stays frozen.
Because all we ever see from Waterbending is fighting and healing... We never see the resourceful side of it (If we do, please show because I can't recall any). This is going onto the Canon argument.
You are correct, but I'm pretty sure there are plans to change that. Am I right @Loony?
Then let's design a concept (see what I did there?) and let's expand on the idea.
Expand on the idea of what? Copying Kristoff from Frozen and making him into a real waterbending concept? The potential use is outweighed by the potential time it takes to make it.
Irrelevant to why it should be denied/accepted. That IS the topic on hand and what Loony was referring to in the 100 reasons.
Irrelevant
Why did you comment on it in my essay then?
Irrelevant
Why did you comment on it in my essay then?
It really depends on the builder. Are they creating a replica? Are they making a spoof of the tribes? Maybe their just using their own design?
Irrelevant
This refers to my first contradiction: You actually have to work for it. As in, you're sitting there punching the ice like it's a log. How is that overpowered?
This refers to my first response.

But we have loads of spin-offs and counterpart pairs of existing abilities. Waterspout and Airspout; Heatcontrol and Phasechange; Waterbubble and Airbubble; Fireburst-Airburst-Shockwave-Torrent;
Heatcontrol is useless in places where you can burn animals alive with bendig.
Water freezes in cold biomes. and stays frozen.
Building out of water is a hassle, as it can lead to overflow, flooding and related issues, just for the sake to build an ice house. That's one of reasons I wish waterbenders had more control over water for survival-mode reasons.
I can make a thread for that, but I'll need someone's help me word it out right xD *wink wink* (pm me Numinous on that). I have a great idea.
Well, it might be for other reasons, such as building it for a mob farm trap to slide 'em or their drops, or even creating a functional bowling alley.
Well, heatcontrol is overpowered, ain't it ;)

And not sure what threads you guys referring to. The Phasechange one or the punch passive? For latter one, yeah I can agree on it being rejected cuz I like the first one better :D

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Mesk, there was an argument about Arch denying your suggestion of the "getting ice as if your hand was silk touch" for biased reasons and not logical ones. Arch decided he should make a 2 page essay on why it was denied. I responded to each point he made in the essay in the original post of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesk, there was an argument about Arch denying your suggestion of the "getting ice as if your hand was silk touch" for biased reasons and not logical ones. Arch decided he should make a 2 page essay on why it was denied. I responded to each point he made in the essay in the original post of this thread.

Well, I seriously I don't care about it anymore. I think I wrote that suggestion for bother or if not for realizing that it isn't the "taste" for waterbending. While I do agree being bias, but I'm glad that they denied it (but not for the phasechange extention though) :D Nor he, nor I are perfect - that's all I got. I think I was so urgent to create that thread without much thought.

xNuminousx

I really wasn't upset that the move was denied, I was upset with HOW it was denied

I really wasn't upset that the move was denied, I was upset with HOW it was denied

You should pm'ed this thread, because it might eventually get deleted like that's what happen to mine when I respond to the Suggestion CD's verdict on why they rejected the idea.

Pride

Lmfao, your profile picture.
Thank you! Finally someone recognizes my Prof Pic. This is gonna be temporary, prob like a week or so. I just really like the way <Main Character (Some people should know out there. *Wink*, *Wink*, StrangeOne101)> looks in this pic. XD :D

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Because when I see an issue I plan to correct it. Everything I've ever done in this community was for the betterment of the project.
I gave you my reasoning, you don't have to agree with it, its not an issue either.

But we have loads of spin-offs and counterpart pairs of existing abilities. Waterspout and Air spout; Heat control and Phase change; Water bubble and Air bubble; Fire burst-Air burst-Shock wave-Torrent;
Air spout and Waterspout were both displayed in the show, Phase change and Heat control as well, Fire burst, Air burst, Shock wave, Torrent Wave is not really canon, but that's Orion's code not ours I believe.

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer

You missed a couple points. XD

Pride

I gave you my reasoning, you don't have to agree with it, its not an issue either.

Air spout and Waterspout were both displayed in the show, Phase change and Heat control as well, Fire burst, Air burst, Shock wave, Torrent Wave is not really canon, but that's Orion's code not ours I believe.
I'm pretty sure Shockwave and Torrent Wave are canon. Toph uses Shockwave back in both TLB and LOK, and Katara showed Torrent Wave for like a split second during the break in of the Earth Kingdom place.