• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Ability Trees Concept

Gamzee

God Tier Member
Verified Member
I've already discussed this idea with people on the Discord, but I guess I should post it here too.

Ability Tree Concept

Overview: This would separate passive and active abilities into two separate trees, the Talent Tree and the Skill Tree, with different requirements to put points into each. The goal of this differentiation is to give the player additional options to uniquely specialize their characters, while still being able to unlock all the regular fun abilities of their class.

The Talent Tree: The talent tree would contain most passive abilities and buffs within the mod, as well as gate specialization unlocks to player choice rather than regular level requirements. You gain TP (Talent Points) by leveling up your character, with every Talent you can unlock costing 1 TP. The Talent Tree is much more linear than a typical tree, with three seperate “minitrees” typically with a main theme, such a PvE or mobility, the main choice is to pick which path to go down first, second, and third. The Talent tree also contains the ability to unlock Specialization branches on the Skill Tree, such as Astral for Air, Lightning for Fire, etc. Additionally, the end of most minitrees end in a choice that will differentiate your playstyle from other players, such an Air passive that would allow you to regen health and chi out of combat, which may be chosen by more passive players, or an Air passive that increases damage when you are above your enemy, leading to be chosen by more aggressive players. Another example would be choosing between Lavabending or Metalbending on the Earth tree. These choices also serve as a nice balancing tool, so that we can make more powerful options for players in exchange for them losing another powerful option.

Example of Talent Tree:

The Skill Tree: This is the more traditional ability tree. You unlock SP (Skill Points) by reading Scrolls of your respective element that can be found in dungeons, dangerous enemy drops, etc. Starting abilities only cost 1 SP but the most powerful ones could cost up to 5 SP to encourage players to try not just rush the most powerful abilities, leaving them useless when it's on cooldown. Certain areas are locked behind Specializations that can be chosen in the Talent Tree as a way to create player customization and goal setting, as well as level gating. The shape of the Skill Tree is one that would be typical in regular RPGs, with many spreading branches.

It's been a long time since I've posted one of these, thanks for reading! :)