• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

A Much Needed Development Update!

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Hello, everyone! There has been a lot of rumors recently about bending being dead or nothing being done. I am here to put that all to rest and address all these issues as well as go over everything we have been doing since the last Core release. Firstly, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and say it is good to be back. I am sure a lot of people are frustrated with the long delay for updates and I would like to take responsibility for any gap in development. Alongside finals and other school work, my computer's hard drive actually failed and I was left without a working machine for a few weeks. However, I am happy to report that I am now on Winter break and my computer is back up and running. Let's begin with looking at the work done on Core.

ProjectKorra Core

Resolved issues (Since 1.8.1 release)
Sprinting while using Flight doesn't massively increase speed.

Enabling one stance will now cancel any other activated stances.

Various IllegalArgumentExceptions caused by distance checks have been resolved.

Various NullPointerExceptions have been resolved throughout the plugin.

Bloodbending no longer has odd behavior when moving selected entities.

The bind command will now catch second arguments that are not numbers.

WaterArms spear will now work correctly when the "Sphere" config option is set to 0.

The red "null" message will no longer appear when binding an ability whose element is toggled.

DamageHandler now fires EntityDamageByEntityEvent the correct number of times and sets the cause
of said event correctly.

HealingWaters can no longer be used to duplicate water bottles.

AirShield now properly blocks FireBlast, EarthBlast, and WaterManipulation.

Various ability descriptions have been updated to use generic controls.

The "CollisionRadius" config option for various moves have been adjusted to correctly account for entity height.

AirSwipe now properly respects its cooldown and cannot be used twice while charging.

New features (Since 1.8.1 release)
@Sobki has completely reprogrammed HeatControl from the ground up to make it much more efficient and to added new looks to some of its functions.

@Coolade has completely reworked the ProjectKorra ability collision system and has made it possible for you to customize what abilities interact with one another. This means addon developers can customize their abilities collisions with stock moves and even create new events that occur when moves collide!
I am waiting eagerly for someone to make a huge explosion move that occurs when a combustion hits another combustion!
Earthbenders will now be able to use Path blocks as earthbending sources and, if added as a source via the config, EarthArmor will now reflect Stained Clay colors in its appearance.
Torrent Ice and Surge Ice now have configurable timed revert options. This will be really helpful for servers dealing with lots of leftover blocks.

Features currently in the works (Since 1.8.1 release)
@Matt and @StrangeOne101 are working on an issue with BottleBending which results in the water not always returning to its user. This is causing their waterbending to subsequently become unresponsive. We have found that this is due to redirecting which overrides the original users link to the move. This will require a rewrite of the WaterReturn class which handles all BottleBending. As you can guess this will take a bit of time but the result should be great, this will open up a lot of possibilities for new water sources rather than just being hard coded to use bottles. Buckets need love too!
As many of you know, PhaseChange is currently one of the largest processes in ProjectKorra. This is due to a lot of faulty design that went into the original. @Simplicitee is almost done reprogramming the entire move from scratch to add new functionality and to make it much more efficient. Some of the biggest changes being made to PhaseChange are the new thaw mechanic and freeze mechanic. Thawing will no longer be instantaneous, instead, ice will gradually melt outwards from a center point. As for freezing, the ice generated by PhaseChange will only cover the top layer of water by default. The amount of layers can be changed in the config. As stated before this addition is almost complete, we are hoping to bring it to you soon!

Finally, @Sobki is currently working on a new rework to FireShield. It is still very early in development but is amazing so far. I don't want to spoil too much but, it essentially allows you to draw your own shield out of fire!

Issues we are currently working on fixing (Reasons why 1.8.2 haven't been released)
The new HeatControl and PhaseChange still have some major compatibility issues. As you know those two moves are critical in waterbender/firebender encounters and as of now cannot alter one another's blocks.
PhaseChange is not entirely finished and still needs some work to be fully functional.
Our current fix for BottleBending is not complete and the half-baked version is not error free.
EarthGrab has some very noticeable odd behavior that needs to be resolved.

Airbending abilities currently cancel fall damage. This applies if you are hit by another player and if you hit yourself with a move. As you can expect, this essentially breaks all reasonable combat functionality of airbending besides airswipe.

ProjectKorra Probending

Since October, @runefist, @Simplicitee, and @AlexTheCoder have been working diligently on a full recode of Probending. As most of you know, the previous versions weren't up to par with our expectations and the communities expectations. I am happy to report tons of new features like multiple gamemodes, multiple arenas, teams, player stats, automated games, and much more. We are very close to completing the first build which will contain tons of these features. We are currently testing and fixing the last remaining issues. Another Probending post will be coming soon!

Question: What would you name your Probending team?

ProjectKorra Items

@StrangeOne101 and @Matt are currently working on adding addon support for ProjectKorra Items as well as making the item creation/customizing side more powerful. Additionally, they are working on making the plugin more efficient and hide all the ugly stat information from players. It is important to note that, in the picture above, the lore is purely aesthetic. The stats are actually being stored in the item's NBT data which results in much cleaner items. This is still very early in development but I wanted everyone to know the upcoming features you can expect.

Question: Whats an item you'd make and which Avatar character would you give it to?
I am aware that we didn't stick to our previous release schedule but now that we have our work straightened out I would like to announce that we will be releasing a Core build every three weeks!

Last edited:

xNuminousx

Thank you for this much needed update. Sounds like we have a lot to look forward too, even some features that were left out in this update but we are aware of them. I look forward to future updates and future releases!

StrangeOne101

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Sounds awesome! Is there any chance of it being on older versions of Spigot, like 1.8.8?
All builds including ProjectKorra 1.8.1 and above are only for MC 1.9/1.10/1.11, sorry. This is because 1.8.8 plugins are not compatible with 1.9 and above, so we'd have to make 2 separate versions of the plugin - which is just a bit too much work.

However, you can still download ProjectKorra 1.8.0 for MC 1.8.8. You can find that in the Version History tab on the ProjectKorra Core download page. :)

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
Thank god I was honestly losing hope
I know we often go quiet with announcements on here (which I hope we can change in the near future), but if you go to the project's GitHub page you can see when developers submit code into the plugin. Obviously you guys shouldn't have to do that, but thought I should say in case you don't hear an official announcement for a while (again, hopefully can be changed very soon!).

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
Are they working on project korra spirits too??
Not currently. At the moment Core, Probending and Items are under development. RPG has had a plan worked on by the concept designers, and in the future Spirits.

Pride

Oh, ho, ho, ho. This is rich.
Sobki, nice work on the HeatControl, HealingWaters and FireShield. Really likin what I'm seeing there. ;)

AirShield's gonna be a big thing as probably everyone will use it to counter any 'blast' related things in other bending servers.