• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Weekly Update: 8/29/2014

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
Posting it earlier in the day today so it is likely more people will read it today. This one will contain quite a bit of news as well as answer a few questions that we have been asked as of late.

Stats
  • 89 new forum registrations in the last week. (345 total)
  • I'm still hoping that we can peak at 75 servers before 8/31. This number has gone down a bit, but our peak is somewhere around 74. This number changes so often throughout the day as not every server is up 24/7. Remember, if we can peak at 75 for even a bit before 8/31, I will release the first in depth look at ProjectKorra (Spirits)
Dev Builds
This has become an issue as of late, players are flaming the wrong people when it comes to dev builds. I released a thread containing some information about how we release dev builds to hopefully ease this a bit, if you could please give it a read when you get the chance that would be greatly appreciated. Essentially, to sum it up, the following points were made:
  1. Dev Builds are by no means complete and we advertise them as if they may contain bugs.
  2. You download and use dev builds, or any of our products, at your own risk.
  3. Dev Builds are NOT meant to be used on larger servers with dozens of players because of #2.
  4. Dev Builds are released at my discretion and nobody else.
To read more detail about any of those points made, please read this thread: http://projectkorra.com/threads/292

1.4.0 Development Goals
1.4.0 development is not going anywhere near as fast as 1.3.0 went, but this update is already shaping up to be HUGE. If you don't remember, a couple of weeks ago I made a post about the development goals for this update. I will use this time to update you on what is still coming in 1.4.0. We plan to accomplish this before we release the full version.
  • General Changes
    • Custom player made presets.
    • Commands to trigger events.
    • Disabling Bending per world via the config.
  • Airbending Changes
    • New Item
    • New Enhancement
  • Waterbending
    • New ability under an 'existing' sub element.
    • Some more minor changes.
  • Earthbending
    • One more Lavabending ability.
  • Firebending
    • More events
  • Chiblocking
    • More config options
I reiterate the fact that this list is intentionally ambiguous. We release specific details as we finish new features.

Donations
This is another issue that has come up as of late. We have had several people offer to make donations toward the project, but I have not given them a means to do so. My reasoning behind this? This project was started out of my love for the community, money corrupts people, and I didn't want myself, or my staff to take any profit out of the project. However, for financial reasons, donations will begin to be accepted in the very near future.

Where do donations go? Nobody on the ProjectKorra Staff -- myself included, will EVER profit from these donations. These donations will go to keep our forum up on a monthly basis and perhaps provide some other community related things. It is no secret it costs money to keep a website alive, and some of this has been coming out of personal funds as of late.

What do I get from donating?: We only want you to donate if it is because you like the Project, not because you will get anything out of it. Essentially, we will provide forum ranks that say you're a project sponsor (with some cool banner under your name) that will last for a month or two, and that is it. This system will be automated when it comes out. We will never release special builds to those who donate to our project, nor will we give their requests any more weight than anyone else. Again, we want people donating to the project only because they believe in what the project stands for and wants to do so.

When will donating be available? This is something I am working on now, but it isn't a top priority. I expect to work on it extensively this weekend, so expect it at some point this weekend or next week.

Suggestions / Bug Reports
This has been happening a lot lately as well, but do not PM me or any other staff member bug reports or suggestions. Please post these in the appropriate forums.

While I'm at it, I'll sort of provide an official response to a few suggestions:
  • Why hasn't (insert element) received a new ability yet?
    • We have things planned for each element, we get them done in the order we get them done and we usually have a reason for doing things the way we do them. Water is the element that has not received much new stuff at all, just some minor tweaks and fixes since this project started. We see the suggestions, however, we often have to sort through those that are possible from a developer's standpoint, and filter out those that just look cool / have the function of another ability. There are some things that just can't be added, some of them are explained below.
  • WaterArms
    • This is probably the most talked about new Water ability because it received a lot of focus in Legend of Korra Book 3. Why wont this work? You only have control over one of your arms in Minecraft, and working with Water blocks in such a way will just not look nice. We may look into expanding the functionality of the OctopusForm tentacles to give them some of the functionality requested here, but for an entirely new move dedicated to this -- probably not.
  • Adding Mobs
    • This cannot be done with a Bukkit plugin, plain and simple. We COULD mess with AIs and replace the functions of existing mobs, but we will not do that.
Also take note that our concept designers / developers are talking out details on a ton of new features and abilities that we just haven't released to the public yet. The reason? We don't want to promise something we ultimately can't deliver. I can guarantee you that if it has been in the show recently (Book 3 of LoK), we have talked about it, or are currently talking about it.

While I'm at it, some suggestions are so ambiguous I don't even know what to do with them. When leaving your suggestions, it helps if you can find a gif / video of the ability being performed in the show, or go into explicit detail on how the ability will function in Minecraft. I shouldn't have many questions after reading them.

Advertising
This has also become a huge problem as of late. Let me just make a few things clear:
  • You are never allowed to request an IP or website link via thread, email, or private message while using our forum to communicate.
  • You are never allowed to send your IP or website link on your profile page, in a thread, any shoutbox, or status update on our forum.
  • Advertising extends to mentioning distinct server name (saying the server by the name of the owner is okay (i.e.: Mist's Server)), linking to websites, or giving the IP.
Why the strict rule?: We want this to be a place where members from all over the Bending community can come for resources, not a place for server owners to look for new players / feel like they must compete.

We are planning to make an official ProjectKorra Server List, this list will be heavily regulated and details will come at a later date. Essentially, this should be the only place on the forum you will find another server's information.

We will probably begin ironing out details as to the rules of the forum in a more specific manner and specify punishments for breaking such rules. When I created the initial rule list, I had no idea the project would grow to this size and didn't think we would need them to be as specific as I now know they need to be.

Side Plugins
I am beginning to think heavily on some of the ProjectKorra Side plugins. There are a few that I can think of that may be released, although they wont be huge in size. This is due to them simply being addons to the existing plugin. These plugins will hook into the ProjectKorra API to add some increased functionality that we don't want to throw into the main plugin because a lot of servers wont have much use for it. Here are a couple of the new plugins that are in planning as of now:
  • ProjectKorra (Probending)
  • ProjectKorra (Spirits)
  • ProjectKorra (RPG)
Details on these plugins will be released as they become available, however, I will not provide ETAs as to when that is, as the Core plugin is taking up much of my development time as of now.

• WaterArms
    • This is probably the most talked about new Water ability because it received a lot of focus in Legend of Korra Book 3. Why wont this work? You only have control over one of your arms in Minecraft
Maybe if you can add right clicking to bending (I dont know if you can) right click could be the right arm, and left click would be the left arm, or you punch with your one minecraft arm, and your waterarms would go where you punched.

Mist

Staff member
Administrator
@MistPhizzle we've reached over 75 servers!!!!! You gonna release the info today? I don't see why we have to wait til September 1st because we've already reached the server amount.
It'll be released, I'm not totally sure when, probably within the next couple of days once we finalize some things.