• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Waterbending vs Earthbending: Endless Game of Tag

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
@AndDrew you be pretty much been in this situation. Maybe you can back me up on this?

Ok so I notice someting how counters play is flawed regarding Waterbending vs Earthbending.

What I experence which is true to the below given hypothesis:
Ok, so let's say you put two 'masters'/experts/skilled benders that one of them is the waterbender, and the other is an earthbender.

The Waterbenders makes the first move and starts up the fight with let's say the torrent blast or even wave. What does the earthbender when she/he sees when the ring is loaded? Selects RaiseEarth and awaits for the torrent's approach by timing it to raises the wall to counterblock it.

Then in reverse role, the Earthbender decides to charge up shockwave. As the waterbender notice that the earthbender is crouching, the waterbender expects that the earthbender is doing so just to charge up earthsmash or shockwave, since it's pretty predictable that those are the only stock abilities earthbender can charge up. So what does the waterbender do while waiting and afterwards? Selects SurgeIceShield and awaits for the shockwave's/earthsmash's approach by timing it to form the frozen shield to counterblock it.

The Waterbender then fires up a few icespike projectiles and iceblast. What does earthbender do next? Counterblocks with EarthWall. The Earthbender charges up earthsmash, and guess what? Waterbender blocks and obscures (counterblocks) it's path by forming a dome in front of it with torrent's freeze.

Next up, one of my favorite - "ManipulationBlast CATCH". WaterManipulation counters Earthblast, and vice versa.

Yo Mesk's, so what's the problem in here?
To make it short, the battle becomes endless fight of counters, nobody actually winning or losing.

Do whatever you want, but earthbenders can easily anticipate waterbenders attack and block it with RaiseEarth, since no attack can go pass throuhg the solid chunk of wall. On Waterbenders side, she can easily anticipate earthbenders attack and block it with Frozen Structures.

~*How to improve collision*~
  • Allow EarthSmash to shatter ice structures (including ice domes, icebullet and icesurgeshield) and pass through them. Why? It's L-O-G-I-C-A-L.
  • Allow SurgeWave to pushback and overpower EarthSmash, like how Unalaq manage to break Biolin's Offense.
  • Allow EarthBlast to shatter ice structures and pass through them, like how Ghazan manage to break Kya's defense.
  • Give waterbenders an ability that can break through blocks.
  • Ideas??? Anyone??
  • In general with bending, perhaps we can get a file(s) where we can define in its list what and how moves collide/interact/behave against each other?

Last edited:

AndDrew

Verified Member
I agree completely that earth vs water needs to be changed but I don't like some of the ways you want to go about it. Overall good suggestions though!

NickC1211

Verified Member

Earth:
- EarthSmash shatters ice in one hit
- earthblast two hits crack ice, a third hit breaks shield
- shockwave = knockback but no damage

Water:
- torrent two hits to raiseearth breaks it
- water arms punch breaks earthblasts
- torrent should still freeze earthsmash

Water has better mobility than earth so they can avoid earthsmashes, so it's not op for earth to break ice.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
@AndDrew Well If you have ideas, please be free to share them. I and we would appreciate in helping to retweak the collision system between these two elements to make it enjoyable and finish-able.

Earth:
- EarthSmash shatters ice in one hit
- earthblast two hits crack ice, a third hit breaks shield
- shockwave = knockback but no damage

Water:
- torrent two hits to raiseearth breaks it
- water arms punch breaks earthblasts
- torrent should still freeze earthsmash
Shockwave should still break ice, cuz it's logical (stone > fragile object). The Rest I'm open minded about.

NickC1211

Verified Member
@AndDrew Well If you have ideas, please be free to share them. I and we would appreciate in helping to retweak the collision system between these two elements to make it enjoyable and finish-able.

Shockwave should still break ice, cuz it's logical (stone > fragile object). The Rest I'm open minded about.
Are there any notable earth vs water scenes in either show?

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
And for those who say it, yes I know waterbenders can avoid earthbending attacks by jumping in water that earth attacks can't penetrate. I just think that's cheap and urges waterbenders to jump in, stay and camp there. I believe and hope that concept designers consider making earth attacks water proof, since it would define laws, physics and realism.

Are there any notable earth vs water scenes in either show?
I just gave already a few that I can recall.

• Allow SurgeWave to pushback and overpower EarthSmash, like how Unalaq manage to break Biolin's Offense.

• Allow EarthBlast to shatter ice structures and pass through them, like how Ghazan manage to break Kya's defense.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I agree with @MeskenasBoii suggestions. Although, it's no secret that realism is lacking in the plugin so hopefully there are already plans to fix that. However, I understand the system is flawed due to it's failure to meet logical boundaries, but what you're describing, Mesk, is the result of a balanced element and two equally skilled benders. Adding more logic and flexibility in the elements would help out a lot.

NickC1211

Verified Member
I agree with @MeskenasBoii suggestions. Although, it's no secret that realism is lacking in the plugin so hopefully there are already plans to fix that. However, I understand the system is flawed due to it's failure to meet logical boundaries, but what you're describing, Mesk, is the result of a balanced element and two equally skilled benders. Adding more logic and flexibility in the elements would help out a lot.
I agree as well it's definitely been shown multiple times in the show earthbenders bending in water also it's not logical for a big boulder to just disappear in water.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I think regarding with bending in general, there could be a file made where you could define the collision and interaction between moves. I really think people could go subjective overwhat should be overpowering the another and could make servers more diversive having that control.

*I think that's one of the times I forgot how to english*

The move he did the block bolins earthsmash thing was more like a waterflow than a torrent
I take it as Surge and EarthSmash, since this thread is for making changes to stock abilities anyway.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Here's an example from canon lore:
Ironically, I might used the wrong or not best example, which displays more the addrees issue here when it never stops lol. Probably that's why no wonder there where barely any lengthy WB&EB battle scenes, when in plugin it never ends, kek. Though it kinda proves that waterbenders can break solid stuff, and makes me assume a possiblily that a above-average h2obender could penetrate the attack through.

I think torrent could maybe break and go through one solid block of it's hitbox? Like imagine launching at the earthbender's wall, and only making one tiny hole and going through there. All the waterbender would need its to track the tag of the earthbender behind the obscuring wall to hit them.

Any other ways you can think of how waterbenders can reach their earthbending opponent? I already gave ideas for vice versa in the original post. I just wanna make balance and not give an unfair advantage for earthbenders to be more powerful.

Last edited:

NickC1211

Verified Member
Ironically, I might used the wrong or not best example, which displays more the addrees issue here when it never stops lol. Probably that's why no wonder there where barely any length WB&EB battle scenes, when in plugin it never ends, kek. Though it kinda proves that waterbenders can break solid stuff, and gives possiblily that a above-average could penetrate the attack through.

I think torrent could maybe break and go through one solid block of it's hitbox? Like imagine launching at the earthbender's wall, and only making one tiny hole and going through there. All the waterbender would need its to track the tag of the earthbender behind the obscuring wall to hit them.

Any other ways you can think of how waterbenders can reach their earthbending opponent? I already gave ideas for vice versa in the original post. I just wanna make balance and not give an unfair advantage for earthbenders to be more powerful.
I like that idea and if an earthbenders is shifting behind the wall thy can avoid detection while charging up a move and a waterbender doesn't have to just sit and wait.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
What I though off so far.

EarthSmash & Shockwave penetrates with ,shattering animation, ice (and watershield like it currently is obviously).
EarthBlast penetrates by puncturing ice.

Torrent penetrates by puncturing earth. Though I'm really skeptical whenever this or in a new ability should do that.

Yeah, earthbending has too many methods of hurting the opponent through defense, while wbending has one. Hey, at least it's something. I do think RaiseEarth needs a somewhat cooldown by default so that isn't spam-abused and of course balanced out Surge-Shield. These probably would even things out I believe, but not really sure.

NickC1211

Verified Member
What I though off so far.

EarthSmash & Shockwave penetrates with ,shattering animation, ice (and watershield like it currently is obviously).
EarthBlast penetrates by puncturing ice.

Torrent penetrates by puncturing earth. Though I'm really skeptical whenever this or in a new ability should do that.

Yeah, earthbending has too many methods of hurting the opponent through defense, while wbending has one. Hey, at least it's something. I do think RaiseEarth needs a somewhat cooldown by default so that isn't spam-abused and of course balanced out Surge-Shield. These probably would even things out I believe, but not really sure.
Again I think it's balance cuz water has more mobility so stand your ground ice shield isn't their only option but earthbenders lack serious mobility