• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied Smokescreen Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
In one particular episode ("The Waterbending Scroll"), Aang uses airbending to counter the effect of the smoke bomb's cloud.

To recreate that, I'm proposing the idea to allow airbenders to use airburst (or If the addion knockback sounds OP: either let it be airbubble or tornado) to "clear out" the effects of a smokescreen.

Couldn't find a gif, but this is the closest thing I could find on google. If you don't remember the referance, aang just basically airbends the dust away, revealing the pirates surrounding him, and immediately airbends it back around himself.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Hmm... The only issue is how the smokescreen works in game... There really are no particles to push away so when they throw the smokescreen, it seems like some gunk got on your eyes and that's why you can't see. Yea it's called "Smoke" screen and there should be some smoke, but that'd be far to laggy for anyone. I get what you're saying, and I agree with it, I just don't think it'll look good.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Bro, you got it all wrong! it's figurative speech - hence why I put the word "clear out" in quotation marks. It should remove the status effect of its blindness, not the actual smoke or spawing it. :D

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Bro, you got it all wrong! it's figurative speech - hence why I put the word "clear out" in quotation marks. It should remove the status effect of its blindness, not the actual smoke or spawing it. :D
The evidence you provided literally shows Aang manipulating the air around the smoke to clear it out and grant him visibility. And just randomly Airburst-ing at nothing to remove something that's not visibly there just makes the bender look stupid lol.

Plus, by giving AirBurst the ability to remove blindness would be bad in my opinion. There are other situations where blindness is applied and it's not removable by mode of air currents. For example, potions. I don't know how the potion is exactly applied (Whether if it gets in your eyes or gets absorbed in your blood stream), but an Airburst wouldn't logically be able to remove that blindness.

not the actual smoke or spawing it.
And I'm well aware you don't want Airburst spawning smoke. I'm saying since Smokescreen doesn't have any smoke, there's nothing to clear. Thus making this not look good.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
The evidence you provided literally shows Aang manipulating the air around the smoke to clear it out and grant him visibility. And just randomly Airburst-ing at nothing to remove something that's not visibly there just makes the bender look stupid lol.
Perhaps changing SmokeScreen in a right way shouldn't make it look weird, whilst the both suggestions simultaneously get introduced.
Plus, by giving AirBurst the ability to remove blindness would be bad in my opinion. There are other situations where blindness is applied and it's not removable by mode of air currents. For example, potions. I don't now have the potion is exactly applied (Whether if it gets in your eyes or gets absorbed in your blood stream), but an Airburst wouldn't logically be able to remove that blindness.
Not necessary blindless. Only smokescreen. Hence the thread's context and the title.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
Not necessary blindless. Only smokescreen. Hence the thread's context and the title.
Does smokescreen have it's own Blindness ID or something? Other than that, you'd be removing blindness period. Unless you can check if they've been hit with a snowball recently or something. But then that'd create a back door for people who love potions lol.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I think smokescreen first need the change which I left the link for

Suggestion said:
Change Smokescreen to be a lingering potion's mechanism - those who enters its spray will be planted. Basically, after the bomb is thrown out, the particles that formed where it landed should last longer than ever (i.e. 51 seconds) and anyone that steps inside the circle will also get status ed effect.

Anyone that puts on special helmet (more about that in other thread), which is easily accesible through chi blocker's ability, will have immunity to the blinding effect from that smoke.
After that is done, (If possible) allow airburst to remove the lingering cloud. Like IIRC how a bottle can remove ender dragon's breath, incorperate that mechanism into airburst. Then again it might affect all linger coulds from the variety of potions, unless we can presume and pretend that these cloud are the substances in a gas form/state (and with wind pushing it easily), we won't have any trouble of finding it illogical. Nevertheless, that's the only method I can think off to have the airburst work.

I actually prefer airbubble over airburst, because it doesn't deal offensive attack as an additional used, make it less OP. Besides, what Aang did looks more of a bubble: creating an air pocket and quickly removing afterwards.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I will agree to this thread if they make the Smokescreen changes. However, if they leave it be then I disagree.

Loony

Verified Member
Smokescreen isn't a smoke bomb per say, it's more of a instant bomb that gets in your eyes and blinds you, therefor airbending wouldn't help. Suggestion denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.