• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Should Teachers Be Armed?

Should teachers be armed with weapons (such as guns)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

xNuminousx

So last week a Florida school went under attack by a vengeful teenager. Earlier this week my own school was threatened to be shot up by a 6/7th grader. And just today my entire school was evacuated in the middle of lunch because the staff had reason to believe that there was a bomb planted in the school somewhere.

That being said, do you think the rise of danger in our schools should result in teachers being armed with weapons such as guns? This is a heavy topic being discussed in social media and amongst my towns police department because of the rise in danger threats. What is your opinion on the matter?

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Definitely not.
-No-one has perfect aim. People will miss and hit other students, resulting in more damage than the shooter could ever do.
-Students can steal the guns and shoot each other.
-Angry teacher+gun= dead students.
-Teachers will probably run away instead of confronting the shooter. It's scary.
-It takes away needed money from education and puts it toward guns, resulting in poorer schools, kids with poorer education, which results in more shootings, as they have worse lives.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Better mental care is what America/USA needs. Gun control should be an afterthought of the concerns.
If you mean we need mental health checks and care for potential killers, I entirely disagree.
It's really hard to tell when some people are going to go on a rampage, and most people are smart enough to not tell anyone.
Also, without guns, it makes it muuuch harder to kill people.
Person with gun in school:
Bang bang bang dead kids. If you're lucky you might be able to sneak up and knock them out.
Person with knife:
Multiple kids rush and disarm him. Done. Killer disarmed.

Look at Australia: not a single mass shooting since they took back all guns and made some very strict gun laws. Most people don't even go through the pain of getting a gun, it's just farmers in rural areas.
Imo, all automatic and semiautomatic guns should be banned.
Hunters and farmers will be allowed hunting rifles.
No-one in cities besides policemen will be allowed guns at all. Policemen will only carry non-lethal handguns with non-lethal bullets.
Special forces will be allowed snipers and other specialized weaponry. The army doesn't need any guns changes rn.

xNuminousx

Look at Australia: not a single mass shooting since they took back all guns and made some very strict gun laws. Most people don't even go through the pain of getting a gun, it's just farmers in rural areas.
A main reason that Americans were given gun rights in the first place wasn't to protect them from other citizens but to protect themselves from the government. That's why a lot of Americans feel so strongly about their guns because they feel if the government starts trying to take them away, then that makes it just that much easier for the government to throw away the constitution or any official document protecting Americans. Call it insurance, if you will.

I've always said that the gun argument is an impossible one. You can't take away guns without people feeling violated and unsafe and you can't let them have guns without the risk of the wrong people getting them. It's not a win/win situation, I actually think it's a loose/loose no matter what's chosen.

Even if you take away people's guns, the guns will just turn into the same situation as drugs. People will be smuggling them into the US and selling them in the black market. So if they're taken away, nothing will end up getting solved. Although, I still think that restrictions will help. The restrictions on drugs and alcohol were added and although people who aren't supposed to have access to them still do, it helped; less people have access to them.

-No-one has perfect aim. People will miss and hit other students, resulting in more damage than the shooter could ever do.
-Students can steal the guns and shoot each other.
-Angry teacher+gun= dead students.
These are points I've discussed with teachers who disagree with being given guns. In my school, class rooms are directly across from each other. So, if a shooter were to be standing in the doorway of one class, they would also be in the doorway of another class. So if one of the teachers saw an opportunity to shoot, so could the other. If one misses, the bullet goes straight through, or both teachers decide not to shoot, it turns out bad. It's highly unlikely that, in my school, any problem would be solved. Teachers already take advantage of the current system to control/manipulate kids and I don't think giving them guns will make it better.

Every pro has an equal and opposite con in this situation; which is what makes this debate impossible to make a compromise for. Making it harder to acquire guns while letting people keep the ones they have is the easiest solution in my opinion.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
A main reason that Americans were given gun rights in the first place wasn't to protect them from other citizens but to protect themselves from the government. That's why a lot of Americans feel so strongly about their guns because they feel if the government starts trying to take them away, then that makes it just that much easier for the government to throw away the constitution or any official document protecting Americans. Call it insurance, if you will.

I've always said that the gun argument is an impossible one. You can't take away guns without people feeling violated and unsafe and you can't let them have guns without the risk of the wrong people getting them. It's not a win/win situation, I actually think it's a loose/loose no matter what's chosen.

Even if you take away people's guns, the guns will just turn into the same situation as drugs. People will be smuggling them into the US and selling them in the black market. So if they're taken away, nothing will end up getting solved. Although, I still think that restrictions will help. The restrictions on drugs and alcohol were added and although people who aren't supposed to have access to them still do, it helped; less people have access to them.

These are points I've discussed with teachers who disagree with being given guns. In my school, class rooms are directly across from each other. So, if a shooter were to be standing in the doorway of one class, they would also be in the doorway of another class. So if one of the teachers saw an opportunity to shoot, so could the other. If one misses, the bullet goes straight through, or both teachers decide not to shoot, it turns out bad. It's highly unlikely that, in my school, any problem would be solved. Teachers already take advantage of the current system to control/manipulate kids and I don't think giving them guns will make it better.

Every pro has an equal and opposite con in this situation; which is what makes this debate impossible to make a compromise for. Making it harder to acquire guns while letting people keep the ones they have is the easiest solution in my opinion.
Actually, if you destroy all semiautomatic and automatic guns in the US and make them illegal, they'll be ridiculously expensive to obtain. The gun in the Sandy Hook shooting cost around $34000.

Gamzee

God Tier Member
I know no teacher who would even want to be responsible for a firearm in a school setting. The liability issues would be insane.

xNuminousx

I know no teacher who would even want to be responsible for a firearm in a school setting. The liability issues would be insane.
The teachers I've talked to don't want to carry guns in school but the police department is either trying to make it to where they are able to or some are required to. Not sure what they're trying to achieve.

ndude5

I know this is the general discussion forum but why is this even being discussed on projectkorra forums

_Hetag1216_

As long as they're not weapons that don't mean any arms (quite impossible).
Let's give them lightningbending with a high stun chance (get my point).

xNuminousx

I know this is the general discussion forum but why is this even being discussed on projectkorra forums
I don't see anything else getting the community active. Plus, it's a hot topic where I am because of the threats we've been getting and I like to have more perspective on the situation than just the ones I'm offered by news outlets and crazy teachers.

ndude5

I don't see anything else getting the community active. Plus, it's a hot topic where I am because of the threats we've been getting and I like to have more perspective on the situation than just the ones I'm offered by news outlets and crazy teachers.
I guess it is nice to have conversation. I just feel like we shouldn't bring politics into a Minecraft plugin forum since it's just going to cause arguments.

xNuminousx

So far everyone has roughly the same opinions on the matter. And either way, a debate is harmless. This isn't the first time outside matters have been brought to the forums. This is a good place to talk with like-minded people. It's a general discussion forum for a reason.

ndude5

So far everyone has roughly the same opinions on the matter. And either way, a debate is harmless. This isn't the first time outside matters have been brought to the forums. This is a good place to talk with like-minded people. It's a general discussion forum for a reason.
Agree to disagree, I just don't feel like it's the right place.

xNuminousx

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.10.46 PM.png
^^^
It's the literal purpose for the forum. There's nothing to disagree with. Now let's try to keep the replies relevant to the OP.

I guess it is nice to have conversation. I just feel like we shouldn't bring politics into a Minecraft plugin forum since it's just going to cause arguments.
Though on the discord and here, surprisingly or not, which I may add to your statement there are most polite arguments and civil discussion in here without raging kids or trolling idiots on this forum, except maybe to one or loosely two rare instances. Arguing is good for exchanging thoughts and sometimes changing/convincing ones preference/side to another, but as long it doesn't get heated and personal.