• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Denied moves blocking other moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

FartLord

Verified Member
hi guys its me fartlord everyones favorite fart. recently i discovered that moves now block other moves! wow! cool! good job! well I can totally understand the thought process behind this mechanic being added, but in terms of actual combat, it's super not smart. take an element like air, which has 2 core attack moves. imagine them fighting against an element like earth, who can spam 1 attack move. sure you can dodge but you wont be able to land a hit, because that pesky earthblast will keep blocking your airswipe! i know what ur thinking. well fartlord, moves blocking other moves is totally logical! it's actually not logical, it's super not smart! it makes combat super tedious and lame. and when things are super tedious and lame they become not fun. and when things arent fun you stop doing them and instead you go play overwatch.

I'm not an overwatch guy. Asides from that, I do see your point, but it makes it more realistic. So, it kinda depends whether you want fun, or realism.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
it makes combat super tedious and lame.
Unfortunately this is another suggestion based around personal opinions... Sorry, we appreciate all suggestions but typically ones backed by a biased stance usually don't get anywhere.

So one point you made is that in an air v Earth it'll be really difficult to land a hit seeing as your airswipe would be continuously blocked by the earthblast. I disagree. From how you worded it, it sounds like you're standing still. Which doesn't sound like the air style. If you moved around and used everything to your advantage, you'd be able to get out of the way of the earthblast and land a hit. So, basically this sounds like a personal problem rather than a global problem. I personally have no issues fighting air v Earth (when I'm the airbender). A tip for ALL Bending arts is to be resourceful, not just water.

You then continued to say that moves being able to block other moves is "not logical" and "Super not smart" Well I beg to differ.
Logical: Yes, it is logical. When a moving object with a set velocity comes into contact with another moving object with the opposite velocity, the point at which they collide is going to affect their continued course. So if a rock is flying through the air and comes into contact with high speed winds, it's gonna get slowed down to the point of falling down.
Smart: Yea, this is very smart. This allows a bender to be able to block moves if they choose. It sort of comes down to fight or flight. If he bender wants to attack, then they'll focus on dealing damage. But if the bender wants to flee, then they may choose to keep blocking on coming projectiles. This nifty feature gives a bender the choice of what to do. If your opponent chooses to block your moves, then you get the real-world choice of how to solve that problem. As an airbender, I'd bounce around, hitting my opponent from different angles. If you're the earthbender, then you have many different moves to resort to that can go through someone's airswipe. For instance, you could try to earthgrab them as a distraction, and while they inevitably AirBlast into the air to escape you can pelt the opponent with earthblasts.

I don't think blocking should be removed. I think there are ways to make it better as far as animations go, but that's not what you're suggesting. Try to observe things at all points of view, it'll do wonders in the future.

Last edited:

FartLord

Verified Member
xnuminousx hi i appreciate your opinion but your statement is incorrect! you clearly misunderstood my flawless essay. moves blocking other moves is simply super not smart. i am right and you are wrong. in the scenario you described, you most likely haven't experienced it for yourself! with blocking, bending is less dynamic and more spammy. and "as an airbender" there would be no point to bouncing around and hitting people from other angles, because all your attacks would be canceled out by a pesky earthblast block. mabye blocking is okay with addons, but without them ur left with a poopy spammy gross playstyle. i forgot to clarify, i thinking blocking is well and good on servers with those silly addons, but on servers with only core moves, its just not fun. fun should triumph all.

NickC1211

Verified Member
xnuminousx hi i appreciate your opinion but your statement is incorrect! you clearly misunderstood my flawless essay. moves blocking other moves is simply super not smart. i am right and you are wrong. in the scenario you described, you most likely haven't experienced it for yourself! with blocking, bending is less dynamic and more spammy. and "as an airbender" there would be no point to bouncing around and hitting people from other angles, because all your attacks would be canceled out by a pesky earthblast block. mabye blocking is okay with addons, but without them ur left with a poopy spammy gross playstyle. i forgot to clarify, i thinking blocking is well and good on servers with those silly addons, but on servers with only core moves, its just not fun. fun should triumph all.
I'm not sure if this is serious or not but this is a way of balancing the elements. If air could just hit ppl with airswipe with no chance of blocking it it'd be op.

xNuminousx

Verified Member
I'm not sure if this is serious or not
Thank you... I just wasn't going to respond because I didn't know how to xD I think my points are pretty valid and they invalidated it by just saying I'm incorrected... I already responded to his other points.

TFORTNT

Verified Member
Unfortunately this is another suggestion based around personal opinions... Sorry, we appreciate all suggestions but typically ones backed by a biased stance usually don't get anywhere.

So one point you made is that in an air v Earth it'll be really difficult to land a hit seeing as your airswipe would be continuously blocked by the earthblast. I disagree. From how you worded it, it sounds like you're standing still. Which doesn't sound like the air style. If you moved around and used everything to your advantage, you'd be able to get out of the way of the earthblast and land a hit. So, basically this sounds like a personal problem rather than a global problem. I personally have no issues fighting air v Earth (when I'm the airbender). A tip for ALL Bending arts is to be resourceful, not just water.

You then continued to say that moves being able to block other moves is "not logical" and "Super not smart" Well I beg to differ.
Logical: Yes, it is logical. When a moving object with a set velocity comes into contact with another moving object with the opposite velocity, the point at which they collide is going to affect their continued course. So if a rock is flying through the air and comes into contact with high speed winds, it's gonna get slowed down to the point of falling down.
Smart: Yea, this is very smart. This allows a bender to be able to block moves if they choose. It sort of comes down to fight or flight. If he bender wants to attack, then they'll focus on dealing damage. But if the bender wants to flee, then they may choose to keep blocking on coming projectiles. This nifty feature gives a bender the choice of what to do. If your opponent chooses to block your moves, then you get the real-world choice of how to solve that problem. As an airbender, I'd bounce around, hitting my opponent from different angles. If you're the earthbender, then you have many different moves to resort to that can go through someone's airswipe. For instance, you could try to earthgrab them as a distraction, and while they inevitably AirBlast into the air to escape you can pelt the opponent with earthblasts.

I don't think blocking should be removed. I think there are ways to make it better as far as animations go, but that's not what you're suggesting. Try to observe things at all points of view, it'll do wonders in the future.
Woah, this is quite the reply xD. Although I agree with you on everything you said especially the fact that he says it like he isn't moving at all. I haven't had a problem fighting an earth bender ever because I move around... a lot. So yea =D

Vahagn

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Verified Member

Suggestions cannot be non-biased, they always have some underlying opinion, wether its very noticeable or nearly invisible.

If a rock is flying through the air and comes into contact with high speed winds is depending on the shape of the rock and the speed of the rock and wind, if we are going to be physically accurate. But lets also remember these aren't any high speed winds, these are winds that are going in an arc, which means they are actually going perpendicularish to the rocks actual velocity (assuming the rock hits the highest point on the arc), which means the resultant velocity would neither be straight nor follow any particular axis. Ironically this is how the AirSwipe actually worked in the show.

Air swipe: The air swipe is both a defensive and offensive technique in which an airbender conjures a crescent-shaped wave of compressed air capable of deflecting colossal projectiles, such as the catapulted flaming rocks often used by the Fire Navy, or redirecting them back to the attacker.[16] Aang used this technique while battling with Azula during the invasion of the Fire Nation.[17] Jinora also used this technique to knock back the Lieutenant when he invaded Air Temple Island[10] and Korra used the Avatar State to enhance the power of this technique to take down Unalaq's dark spirits.[18]

La perfection n'existe pas. (Perfection does not exist)

When forming a suggestion and replying to someone who gives you criticism, the use of ad hominem in your response makes your opinion devalue, because nobody likes to listen or take consideration to someone who attacks others in their statements.

Another thing would be to show that you put time in your suggestions, a long paragraph full of jumbled up thoughts is very hard to read and hard to actually see what you are suggesting, it also looks very poorly thought out, even if you know completely what you are saying. The important part about suggestions is conveying what is inside your beautiful minds onto a thread so us concept designers can gather your input on what the plugin needs.

Aside from those few words, I would like to talk about the suggestion now.

This suggestion encompasses one main thing, that EarthBlast should not block AirSwipe and vice versa.
The thing about it is that the collision inbetween the basic attacks is a built in way of making players use multiple moves instead of spamming. And although the collision radius should become a little smaller and tweaked a little for AirSwipe, the collisions should not be removed.
The problems you mentioned are also easily avoidable by moving around and attacking from different angles. If you stand still and your opponent is standing still and you are both just shooting and blocking each other, its a stalemate, which means that its a draw and you both don't win. To win you actually need to somehow defeat them and that requires moving around and using multiple moves.

Denied.

Loony

Verified Member
Might I add that the points I made aren't my opinions. It's my personal experience and plain physics. I did state an opinion at the end but that's hardly relevant as far as countering an argument.
They're your opinions based on personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.