• Proceed with caution! Unofficial add-on plugins and abilities are not supported by the ProjectKorra staff. We will not provide support for broken add-ons. Download at your own risk.
  • Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server
MetalCables

MetalCables 1.5

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Finn_Bueno_ updated MetalCables with a new update entry:

Item fix

• Item requirements now respect the configuration file.
  • The 'ItemRequirements' section now also check the off-hand slot.
NOTE: It is possible to quickly remove a required item and replace it without the ability deactivating. I'm aware of this 'issue', but don't think I'll try to remove it. I made the check for required items run 5 times a second instead of 20 on purpose, because I think it's rather heavy compared to the rest of the code. And as long as they place it back...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Quite the interesting move. If [and when] it's released, I may have to try it out!
(Also I like your profile pic :3 )
Thanks! But how do you mean when it's released? I literally put it up for download 1 or 2 days ago. You just gotta install it on a server. And thanks about the picture ;)

Thanks! But how do you mean when it's released? I literally put it up for download 1 or 2 days ago. You just gotta install it on a server. And thanks about the picture ;)
Ah, shoot, didn't notice that part about it being downloadable >.< my own obliviousness amazes me sometimes
I'll talk to the other staff on a server I'm staff on to see if we'll add it later.

Loony

Bug Report
Grapple, hold sneak to go to that location and keep hold of sneak and it'll spin you around forever to where you grappled

Loony

Suggestions
I thought that I'd give a review for the ability because I like this ability but I feel like it's a little overly complicated and would be a lot more user-friendly with some design changes. The suggestions are just my opinion, you don't have to do them :p
  • The 'uses' notification should be displayed using the BossBar or hotbar, rather than having a chat message. That will clear some of the spam up. On top of that, the Exit slot doesn't really need uses.
  • There's too many binds and it's a little unnecessary. There's a left and right use for these abilities but there isn't really need for them. Unless there's a specific reason to use the left or right ability, I don't feel like they should exist. This would give you way more room to add content in the future. Simplify the binds by making different activations for the abilities. I'd consider changing binds to:
Grapple - Click to fire a grapple, click again to fire a secondary grapple, hold sneak to travel towards the grapple, hold sneak and click to remove grapples. If you use both grapples the speed in which you travel will increase.
Hook - (Replacing grab) click to fire a hook, if the hook attaches you can fire another hook. Hold sneak to bring the target towards you, speed increasing per hook, like with Grapple. Again, hold sneak and click to remove the hook.
MetalShread - Click in rapid succession (in the way that DaggerThrow works) to rapidly fire metal hooks out to hit an enemy. It will alternate between the left and right hooks.
Exit - Exits the ability.
(Now, you have space for other abilities since we've cleared up the slots!)
Swing - This will act like grapple, however it works like a swing. It doesn't pull you to where the grapple is but instead allows you to hook onto a wall so you can swing in a direction. Pretty sure you know how swings work lmao? Not sure how else to describe it.

That's just some suggestions I came up with when using the ability, you can ignore them, it's your ability and your vision but I couldn't resist :)

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Bug Report
Grapple, hold sneak to go to that location and keep hold of sneak and it'll spin you around forever to where you grappled
I'm gonna need a GIF I'm afraid. I don't quite understand what you mean.
  • The 'uses' notification should be displayed using the BossBar or hotbar, rather than having a chat message. That will clear some of the spam up. On top of that, the Exit slot doesn't really need uses.
Suggested by someone else, and working on it. The Exit slot shows uses because the Exit slot simply sets the uses to Integer.MIN_VALUE to cancel out the ability.

• There's too many binds and it's a little unnecessary. There's a left and right use for these abilities but there isn't really need for them. Unless there's a specific reason to use the left or right ability, I don't feel like they should exist. This would give you way more room to add content in the future. Simplify the binds by making different activations for the abilities. I'd consider changing binds to:
Grapple - Click to fire a grapple, click again to fire a secondary grapple, hold sneak to travel towards the grapple, hold sneak and click to remove grapples. If you use both grapples the speed in which you travel will increase.
Hook - (Replacing grab) click to fire a hook, if the hook attaches you can fire another hook. Hold sneak to bring the target towards you, speed increasing per hook, like with Grapple. Again, hold sneak and click to remove the hook.
MetalShread - Click in rapid succession (in the way that DaggerThrow works) to rapidly fire metal hooks out to hit an enemy. It will alternate between the left and right hooks.
I did that on purpose to allow more, what do you call it, useability? Let's take your grapple suggestion for example. A second click would fire a second hook, but what if I want to fire my first hook again, instead of a new one? Then I'd first have to remove the hooks with shift+click, and then fire again, and by that time I've already fallen quite a bit. The same goes for hook, although that one wouldn't too hard to put into a single slot eventually. MetalShread seems cool although I'd give it a different name, to make it more fit in with the other abilities.
I'm planning on getting less binds myself already, don't worry about that. This is definitely not the final version of the ability.

Swing - This will act like grapple, however it works like a swing. It doesn't pull you to where the grapple is but instead allows you to hook onto a wall so you can swing in a direction. Pretty sure you know how swings work lmao? Not sure how else to describe it.
As much as a I like this idea (and I've thought of it countless of times), it has so far been too hard for me to implement properly. I got it to work in 2D environments, or maybe I'm just overthinking stuff. If anyone has a suggestion on how to do this properly feel free to leave it here.

I like your suggestions and appreciate them, but I'm afraid that if I integrate the whole grapple set into a single slot it'll be too hard to use by far. Maybe someday I'll go ahead and try, but for now, I'll try to reduce it to Grapple Left, Grapple Both and Grapple Right, integrating Grapple Clear into Grapple Both. I do plan on replacing slam with either a whip or projectiles, of which the last one will decrease the cables' range. Another note on my list is to improve grab, it sometimes acts 'messy'.

All in all, I have to admit I wasn't as much aiming for this effect

but more for
(*winks at easter egg*)
;)

hold sneak and click to remove grapples.
That may be dangerious: as you suggested only sneak you pull yourself towards after reeling, but left clicking would distach the rope and you may be falling to the pavement.

I propose the third left click to detach one of the grapples and the 4th click for final grapple. That would be much simple and safer without interfaring with other functions.

NickC1211

I'm gonna need a GIF I'm afraid. I don't quite understand what you mean.

Suggested by someone else, and working on it. The Exit slot shows uses because the Exit slot simply sets the uses to Integer.MIN_VALUE to cancel out the ability.

I did that on purpose to allow more, what do you call it, useability? Let's take your grapple suggestion for example. A second click would fire a second hook, but what if I want to fire my first hook again, instead of a new one? Then I'd first have to remove the hooks with shift+click, and then fire again, and by that time I've already fallen quite a bit. The same goes for hook, although that one wouldn't too hard to put into a single slot eventually. MetalShread seems cool although I'd give it a different name, to make it more fit in with the other abilities.
I'm planning on getting less binds myself already, don't worry about that. This is definitely not the final version of the ability.

As much as a I like this idea (and I've thought of it countless of times), it has so far been too hard for me to implement properly. I got it to work in 2D environments, or maybe I'm just overthinking stuff. If anyone has a suggestion on how to do this properly feel free to leave it here.

I like your suggestions and appreciate them, but I'm afraid that if I integrate the whole grapple set into a single slot it'll be too hard to use by far. Maybe someday I'll go ahead and try, but for now, I'll try to reduce it to Grapple Left, Grapple Both and Grapple Right, integrating Grapple Clear into Grapple Both. I do plan on replacing slam with either a whip or projectiles, of which the last one will decrease the cables' range. Another note on my list is to improve grab, it sometimes acts 'messy'.

All in all, I have to admit I wasn't as much aiming for this effect

but more for
(*winks at easter egg*)
;)
Finn is kind of right I've been testing the ability a bit and you are able to shoot a left grapple into one surface and a right into another. Then depending on what slot you are you can alternate to either side or stay in the middle I feel like this is really useful. However I do agree that slam does not need a left and right fiction unless your hanging somewhere on your left grapple and are shooting a right slam.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
unless your hanging somewhere on your left grapple and are shooting a right slam.
The ability can be 'smart' enough to know which grapple to extend for slam, so that's how I'll implement it, bringing slam down to a single slot.
That may be dangerious: as you suggested only sneak you pull yourself towards after reeling, but left clicking would distach the rope and you may be falling to the pavement.

I propose the third left click to detach one of the grapples and the 4th click for final grapple. That would be much simple and safer without interfaring with other functions.
I've already stated I'm not implementing such things and why.

NickC1211

The ability can be 'smart' enough to know which grapple to extend for slam, so that's how I'll implement it, bringing slam down to a single slot.

I've already stated I'm not implementing such things and why.
I also see the appeal of having a left and right grab if you want to grab two entities. If you make slam one thing then what if you could have a grab_both so that if you are holding to entities if you hold shift they slam into each other causing damage.

Last edited:
Can this be converted into (and boolean optional) non-multiability? I don't like multiabilities, and I prefer my server not having it involve with this ability. I'm pretty sure there other owners to want that kind of optional customization too.

Here's how it can work!
Grapple: one left click. Grapple both: double left click. After either of those done, sneak to pull yourself. Grapple Clear: switch to another slot. Grab's works when you're pointing at a mob and not a block. Slam is done by sneaking while targeting your opponent without cables attached to something.

Or grabbing could work by sneaking without the hooks streched out, but if you left click after the sneak you get to slam the opponent.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Can this be converted into (and boolean optional) non-multiability? I don't like multiabilities, and I prefer my server not having it involve with this ability. I'm pretty sure there other owners to want that kind of optional customization too.

Here's how it can work!
Grapple: one left click. Grapple both: double left click. After either of those done, sneak to pull yourself. Grapple Clear: switch to another slot. Grab's works when you're pointing at a mob and not a block. Slam is done by sneaking while targeting your opponent without cables attached to something.
No. Why? Because 1) it requires throwing the whole project away and rewriting it and 2) I'm not going to rewrite a project simply because "you don't like multiabilities". That's a pretty selfish reason if you ask me.

I'm not going to rewrite a project simply because "you don't like multiabilities". That's a pretty selfish reason if you ask me.
I'm pretty sure there other owners to want that kind of optional customization too.
...And I did includee it should be a boolean option. Like Multiability: True for example. Those who want keep it with MultiAbilityAPI can simple set it to false.

i know a few server owners who don't like multiabilities, so it isn't selfish at all.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
...And I did includee it should be a boolean option. Like Multiability: True for example. Those who want keep it with MultiAbilityAPI can simple set it to false.
You have no idea how abilities are registered. From the top of my head that would require hacky solutions (hacking into PK's source code which would have the PK devs scratch their heads over if it's allowed or not) + that's even more work than rewriting it. This is how I designed the ability to be, and how I want it to be. If you don't like it, don't download it, simple as that. There is a single slot MetalHook out there somewhere, use that.
"Pretty sure" is not sure. I don't know any myself, thus that argument is invalid if you'd ask me. No names is no evidence.