• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Help with (learning) Java

ErgoProxy

Hey everyone, first of all, i love this plugin, love the concept, the execution, all of it!
Aaand... sorry for the really bad english :/

So, i'm wanting to make some custom moves! (for a little private server i have to play with some friends) but i don't really know where to start.
I've done some server plugins in other languages before, mainly C-like scripting lenguages, but none of these programming languages per se, nor OOP neither...

I know, there is a LOT of tutorials, books and videos about Java, but i don't know if i really need to go throw all of those... maybe, there are a lot of the "java world" that is just not needed here in the "plugin realm" lol

And i know, it's always good to know more about the language you are working with, but my time is VERY limited, so i have to make all the effort i can to optimize the time that takes this little hobby :p

So, after that potentially unnecessary bunch of text, here is the final question: There is some java tutorial/video/book/something focused on spigot plugins? So i can jump right to the sweet part :D

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
If you're interested in learning how to make Spigot plugins, there really are thousands of tutorials all over YouTube, and people willing to help on the Spigot forums. The way I learnt (may not be the best method, but I think it worked alright for me lol) was by following a tutorial series that explained the basics of plugin development. Once I understood the core concepts of it, I then gave developing my own plugins a shot. Each plugin I made, I would try to expand my knowledge by attempting to implement a feature I had no experience with prior. I would find the information I need from either YouTube, people who are looking to do the same thing on the Spigot forums, or getting in contact with another developer and ask them. Over time I picked up how things work, and am still doing so even to this day. :)

If you're interested in getting into development with the ProjectKorra API, I recently started uploading some videos on YouTube explaining how to do so. I'll normally make a video whenever I feel like it, so don't expect it regular videos of anything. :p You can find a link to them on my PK profile.

Best of luck! And also feel free to contact me if you need a hand. I'd be happy to help. :)

ErgoProxy

Oh, so i can just jump into ability development? Wow, that would be awesome!:D
That's exactly what i want tbh, but i thought... it's gonna be rough... since i don't know even how arrays are managed in java lol.
Don't even talk about stacks, tables and suchs...

So, i can just follow your tutorials and Google out whatever i didn't get? (I saw your tutorial yesterday like 5 minutes after posting here lol)

Thanks mate :)

xNuminousx

for a little private server
Completely up to you, but I think it'd be really neat to share your abilities with other server owners! It's completely optional, you don't have to, it's just a really satisfying feeling to know YOUR abilities are being used and enjoyed across other servers :D

ErgoProxy

Completely up to you, but I think it'd be really neat to share your abilities with other server owners! It's completely optional, you don't have to, it's just a really satisfying feeling to know YOUR abilities are being used and enjoyed across other servers :D
Oh, they'll gonna be completely open source! And widely commented probably... :)

What i meant was that the ones i have in mind, are mainly to fit our gameplay style... And they gonna suck really hard probably lol :D

xNuminousx

Oh, they'll gonna be completely open source! And widely commented probably... :)

What i meant was that the ones i have in mind, are mainly to fit our gameplay style... And they gonna suck really hard probably lol :D
Lol, it's alright. It's always good to have a bit of Optional Diversity. ;)

Sobki

Staff member
Lead Developer
Plugin Developer
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend jumping into ability development without being somewhat confident in java & the spigot api. If you understand most of what's going on from my tutorials, then I mean, you do you, go ahead. If things aren't making sense though, definitely take a step back so you know what's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErgoProxy

Have gone through the first one already, I definitely have mayor leaks. I'll get familiar with java, it shouldn't take that long... Overall, i get the process, it's similar in all game server plugins i suppose, just need to get hand dirty to really understand "the way of java" lol.

Thanks for all :)

Oh, so i can just jump into ability development? Wow, that would be awesome!:D
That's exactly what i want tbh, but i thought... it's gonna be rough... since i don't know even how arrays are managed in java lol.
Don't even talk about stacks, tables and suchs...

So, i can just follow your tutorials and Google out whatever i didn't get? (I saw your tutorial yesterday like 5 minutes after posting here lol)

Thanks mate :)
Cave of programming has a video on that: about arrays. In Youtube.

Išsiųsta naudojantis SM-G313HN Tapatalk 4 Lt