• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Looking Into Combo flaw

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Don't if it just me, but from what I experence, I can speculate that there is no limit to how long the sequence can be delayed.

For instance, let's take the firebending's combo JetBlast. I just can start with by trying to activate half way through by doing two Firejet's squats (that mean's "sneaks"), switch to fireshield and hold sneak. Now If I do it right without the 'combo breaker' ever happening (aka. getting interupted by a damage hit or triggering unrelated ability), I can wait for (an) hour(s) and then trigger the combo by finishing it with a firejet left click.

^ Do I really know to explain what's wrong with that? It is just stupid. I know, it's almost not acknowledge and a minor issue that may look to out I'm a big deal out of it, but I still think it should be fix regardless to how big/minor any flaw can be. Combos should be fast paced, not slow (imagine playing mortal combat by performing a long-ass combo, and then just waiting 10 minutes with interrupted delays and still finishing succesfully. How absurd would that be!)

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
@OmniCypher is there a timeout?
I can wait for (an) hour(s) and then trigger the combo by finishing it with a firejet left click.
Yes, there is. However, it is used for memory management, not as a means of regulating execution speed. It is currently hardcoded in at 60 minutes or on a server reload. If you feel there is a need for this to change I am opened to discussion.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
Don't know if you're talking about as a whole or split in the formula after each ability, but it still looks too long.

I suggest the player should switch/click another ability within 5 seconds each time, otherwise the combo would fail.

So for the jetblast example: sneak before 5 seconds with firejet, sneak again with firejet before 5 seconds, switch to fireshield and sneak before 5 seconds, firejet away before 5 seconds (or should it be "in" preposition? DK, I'm not english xD). The Point, you have to do each ability action before it hits 6 seconds, otherwise the combo would not work/ after executing its formula/chain.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
Don't know if you're talking about as a whole or split in the formula after each ability, but it still looks too long.

I suggest the player should switch/click another ability within 5 seconds each time, otherwise the combo would fail.

So for the jetblast example: sneak before 5 seconds with firejet, sneak again with firejet before 5 seconds, switch to fireshield and sneak before 5 seconds, firejet away before 5 seconds (or should it be "in" preposition? DK, I'm not english xD). The Point, you have to do each ability action before it hits 6 seconds, otherwise the combo would not work/ after executing its formula/chain.
It removes the entire list, not a single index.

OmniCypher

Staff member
Lead Developer
Administrator
Plugin Developer
So as you use moves ComboManager stores them along with their inputs. So as you spam WaterManipulation and FireBlast and any other move it stores all that info because you /could/ be executing a combo. Honestly, it is not the cleanest storage system and the cleanup should be more dynamic. Currently, this list persists over time, meaning no information about the moves is removed until A) the server reloads / restarts, or B) 60 minutes pass. Any info that exists at a point where these occur is all dumped at once rather than what you are suggesting which is that each individual action that gets logged by ComboManager should have an automatic expire time.

Loony

Verified Member
Yes, there is. However, it is used for memory management, not as a means of regulating execution speed. It is currently hardcoded in at 60 minutes or on a server reload. If you feel there is a need for this to change I am opened to discussion.
Yeah it shouldn't be that long whatsoever, looking into.

MeskenasBoii

Verified Member
I have a two questions regarding combos:
a)does a combo break while the user tries to mid-activate it but gets injured by others or the enviroments?
b)Can a combo break If a wrong ability is used? I think that should be a thing to look into!