• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Skill Tree Ideas

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
Post all of your skill tree ideas, even if it's already been posted!!!!!! I need alllllll of your ideas!!!!!!!
Lol.
Anyway, I need to work out what's cool, and should be implemented, and what isn't.
Ok.
Bending levels-
You have a different level for each base element- I'm debating on whether or not to have a different level for each sub element. You guys decide.
You level up by
  • Using abilities- keep in mind they will also level up as you use them!
  • Unlocking abilities
  • Unlocking passives
  • If servers wish, they can set up quests that grant exp.
  • Finding structures
  • Taming the mob of your element
As you level up, you'll gain skill points; these points can be used to
A) Unlock abilities.
B) Unlock passives
C) Craft scrolls??? (Maybe)
D) Increase maximum chi pool, maximum chi available, powerrating, e.t.c.
A skill tree would look like this:

Obviously, you wouldn't see the requirement unless you put your mouse over the ability or clicked on it; I just gave an example of what the requirements would be. By making it so that you have different requirements to unlock abilities, you can reward the player for diversifying their moveset, or just focusing on one branch. I think having the option to use unrelated abilities to unlock a new ability is really cool.
Also.
Hybrid abilities will appear in multiple trees- Ex:
Tornado would appear in the defense and Utility Tree.
The numbers in front of each tree shows the level requirement to unlock that tree- and each element unlocks different trees sooner. Ex:
Fire would unlock offense first.
Air Utility.
Earth Defense.
Water Buff.
This fits with the element's playstyle.
On top of this, at certain points in the skill tree, you'll have two options for an ability or passive. However, you can unlock both, if you so wish- but this means that the abilities that come after that are harder to get. You constantly have to consider where you put your skill points; you also can look at all abilities, so you can focus on ones you want to get.
The skill tree will use the radial menu icon for the skill tree icon; Kisutora is also working on a easily-replicated skill menu background.
The current skill menu will also be an option! (For those who don't want skill tree progression).
I'm also debating on whether the skill tree should be horizontal or vertical- what do you guys think?
Put your thoughts, recommendations, and suggestions below!

JettMC

Verified Member
You level up by
  • Using abilities- keep in mind they will also level up as you use them!
  • Unlocking abilities
  • Unlocking passives
  • If servers wish, they can set up quests that grant exp.
  • Finding structures
  • Taming the mob of your element
1st, 2nd and 4th and the last would be cool.

As you level up, you'll gain skill points; these points can be used to
A) Unlock abilities.
B) Unlock passives
C) Craft scrolls??? (Maybe)
D) Increase maximum chi pool, maximum chi available, powerrating, e.t.c.
A), C) D)

In my opinion these things would make the mod even better than it is now, actually.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
1st, 2nd and 4th and the last would be cool.

A), C) D)

In my opinion these things would make the mod even better than it is now, actually.
Haha, that's basically why I'm adding a skill tree!
How do you suppose the player would unlocks passives, then? Having all passives unlocked from the start is kinda OP... I understand passives not increasing your level xp, though. Any other recommendations? Or do you think the suggested way to unlock abilities is fine?

JettMC

Verified Member
Haha, that's basically why I'm adding a skill tree!
How do you suppose the player would unlocks passives, then? Having all passives unlocked from the start is kinda OP... I understand passives not increasing your level xp, though. Any other recommendations? Or do you think the suggested way to unlock abilities is fine?
Well, I'm okay with the way to unlock abilities, maybe make it a little harder to do so. Unlocking all passives at the start is OP indeed.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
Well, I'm okay with the way to unlock abilities, maybe make it a little harder to do so. Unlocking all passives at the start is OP indeed.
Well, I was gonna make it a free unlock once you've achieved a certain level. However, you can only choose one passive path, you can't backtrack, like you can with abilities.

Jackson

Staff member
Digital Team
Verified Member
I would like a skill tree added into a plugin for PK too :I, but yes I like the skill tree idea!

Da Psic

Verified Member
In this skill dex you would always start with water and can move from yellow dot to yellow dot, each yellow dot represent a skill/s and/or upgrade/s needing a certain amount of skill points to unlock.

Once you unlock all yellow dots in a line you unlock the "sub element" it points to,gaining their passives(Think bloodbending partial immunity or draw water from plants/air), but it would not lock you to that path, as an example if I were to go trough plant and then blood, I would still be able to spend points to unlock healing, however if I do not spend any points in the dots in the "Sub Element Bubble" of Blood or Plant I wouldn't unlock any skills related to those trees, just the passives. You wouldn't need to go trough ice and plant to unlock bloodbending but a different path offers different skills,passives and upgrades.
Additionally the yellow dots could vary in levels, meaning you could spend various points in the same dot, raising that ability level, think water arms multiple uses, stronger healing, bloodbending immunity, energy corruption and etc...

Rough Sketch:

Example Distribution:
In the following skill dex, I rushed a couple of water skills, bloodbending skills and healing/ice/plant passives, allowing me to passively heal faster in water, freeze most abilities and gather water from most plants(could use a yellow dot to make it all plants including logs, inside the skill bubble of Plant). The point I spent in ice bending was to allow me to freeze all watery abilities.

I used water as an example due its huge amount of variants and sub elements.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
In this skill dex you would always start with water and can move from yellow dot to yellow dot, each yellow dot represent a skill/s and/or upgrade/s needing a certain amount of skill points to unlock.

Once you unlock all yellow dots in a line you unlock the "sub element" it points to,gaining their passives(Think bloodbending partial immunity or draw water from plants/air), but it would not lock you to that path, as an example if I were to go trough plant and then blood, I would still be able to spend points to unlock healing, however if I do not spend any points in the dots in the "Sub Element Bubble" of Blood or Plant I wouldn't unlock any skills related to those trees, just the passives. You wouldn't need to go trough ice and plant to unlock bloodbending but a different path offers different skills,passives and upgrades.
Additionally the yellow dots could vary in levels, meaning you could spend various points in the same dot, raising that ability level, think water arms multiple uses, stronger healing, bloodbending immunity, energy corruption and etc...

Rough Sketch:

Example Distribution:
In the following skill dex, I rushed a couple of water skills, bloodbending skills and healing/ice/plant passives, allowing me to passively heal faster in water, freeze most abilities and gather water from most plants(could use a yellow dot to make it all plants including logs, inside the skill bubble of Plant). The point I spent in ice bending was to allow me to freeze all watery abilities.

I used water as an example due its huge amount of variants and sub elements.
Ok, that's pretty cool! Hmm.. This is really cool! I was originally thinking that you'd only be able to choose a couple sub elements, but having access to all of them is pretty awesome! How do you suppose you block new waterbenders from getting bloodbending? By making it require a certain level?

Da Psic

Verified Member
Ok, that's pretty cool! Hmm.. This is really cool! I was originally thinking that you'd only be able to choose a couple sub elements, but having access to all of them is pretty awesome! How do you suppose you block new waterbenders from getting bloodbending? By making it require a certain level?
I suppose you could Level/Skill Lock it, and/or require specific paths requiring specific skill points that you could give a different name and thus only obtainable via a scroll,TutorNpc,Fight or every X levels and/or abilities maxed you'd get that special skill point.
If "Wan Shi Tong/He Who Knows 10,000 things" library is implemented one day, it could be a great way to gather such points.

The advantage of giving these points to players when they reach a level threshold and not unlocking it directly is to hence enforce the idea of multiple skill paths.

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
I suppose you could Level/Skill Lock it, and/or require specific paths requiring specific skill points that you could give a different name and thus only obtainable via a scroll,TutorNpc,Fight or every X levels and/or abilities maxed you'd get that special skill point.
If "Wan Shi Tong/He Who Knows 10,000 things" library is implemented one day, it could be a great way to gather such points.

The advantage of giving these points to players when they reach a level threshold and not unlocking it directly is to hence enforce the idea of multiple skill paths.
Well, I was gonna just give skill points- which, along with your bending level, is required to unlock moves, sub elements, and passives. Moves also will still require scrolls.

Pride

Verified Member
you know i was thinking of this idea a few months back and suddenly you had the idea for this
i like it
it expands a lot more of the plugin itself and shows more of a bender and everything they did to prove their abilities

iCarly

Verified Member
you know i was thinking of this idea a few months back and suddenly you had the idea for this
i like it
it expands a lot more of the plugin itself and shows more of a bender and everything they did to prove their abilities
Idk if it's possible, but instead of unlocking abilities and passives, I think it's better if everyone has access to all the skills but every level they get stronger. For example, level 1 WaterSpout would be very short. FastSwim wouldn't be as fast. Manip range decreased. Torrent unfreezable. Obviously the OP subelements are not going to be available at level 1, like Flight, Bloodbending, Lightning, Lava and so on.

Pride

Verified Member
Idk if it's possible, but instead of unlocking abilities and passives, I think it's better if everyone has access to all the skills but every level they get stronger. For example, level 1 WaterSpout would be very short. FastSwim wouldn't be as fast. Manip range decreased. Torrent unfreezable. Obviously the OP subelements are not going to be available at level 1, like Flight, Bloodbending, Lightning, Lava and so on.
pretty sure it should be possible

Last edited:

FavouriteDragon

Staff member
Forge Developer
Verified Member
it should be possible
That's what configs are for! You can set the xp of all moves to level 1 on start up, and you can use the current method of progression if you so wish.