• Hello Guest! Did you know that ProjectKorra has an official Discord server? A lot of discussion about the official server, development process, and community discussion happens over there. Feel free to join now by clicking the link below.

Join the Discord Server

Suggestion Bending Realism: EarthSmash Force

xNuminousx

Currently, when you grab someone else's EarthSmash, that's all that happens. However, when you grab it you should be pushed back due to the force of the oncoming boulder.

This is what I mean

The shatter option could also add some realism, it was in the gif. But I feel like I've read that in the forums before.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
The GIF really contradicts your statement, since Kuvira is able to catch it with 0 knockback.

xNuminousx

The GIF really contradicts your statement, since Kuvira is able to catch it with 0 knockback.
Not exactly. Kuvira, strong, power, and cocky at the time, would be able to stop something more easier. And if you’d like to focus on that part of the gif then okay.

EarthSmash shouldn’t immediately stop. As seen with Kuvira, the boulder comes to a halt near her rather then just “oh here I am!”. But I believe this was sort of a part of Mesks gravity argument in his post.

And since my point was to add realism rather than to add a feature from the show I don’t think it was contradicted. My point was based around what I thought would improve bending and I happened to know a gif that shows what I’m trying to say. Yes, there are other ways to do things. But that’s not the point.

If I were to say, “This should happen because it’s canon. Here look at this gif!” Then you’d be right. But that’s not the case. This is simply something I want to happen and I used a gif to demonstrate it.

Last edited:
Currently, when you grab someone else's EarthSmash, that's all that happens. However, when you grab it you should be pushed back due to the force of the oncoming boulder.

This is what I mean

The shatter option could also add some realism, it was in the gif. But I feel like I've read that in the forums before.
Or you know - the boulder could take longer to dissapear after hitting to give the opponent the chance to counter while received a somewhat reduce knockback.

xNuminousx

I was referring to the event where the boulder is caught rather than the event where they are hit... But okay :)

Last edited:
I know you were. Gif shows multiple outcomes and I gave a few based on what exactly happen in canon lore. Korra gets pushed backed, whilst Kuvira time it right and thus didn't go out of balance/guard. Would make a sense to not leave out the idea that was portrayed as diversive.

Finn_Bueno_

Staff member
Plugin Developer
Not exactly. Kuvira, strong, power, and cocky at the time, would be able to stop something more easier. And if you’d like to focus on that part of the gif then okay.

EarthSmash shouldn’t immediately stop. As seen with Kuvira, the boulder comes to a halt near her rather then just “oh here I am!”. But I believe this was sort of a part of Mesks gravity argument in his post.

And since my point was to add realism rather than to add a feature from the show I don’t think it was contradicted. My point was based around what I thought would improve bending and I happened to know a gif that shows what I’m trying to say. Yes, there are other ways to do things. But that’s not the point.

If I were to say, “This should happen because it’s canon. Here look at this gif!” Then you’d be right. But that’s not the case. This is simply something I want to happen and I used a gif to demonstrate it.
With Kuvira, it literally lost all it's momentum in a single moment.

This tells us that stopping an earthsmash without any problems is a matter of skill, technique and/or power. I myself am not a very good earthbender, so I often have problems catching an earthsmash. I sometimes shift too late, making it hit me either a bit, or completely blasting into me. In this sense, this 'feature' is already implemented. Thus I keep standing by my point that this isn't needed.

xNuminousx

The point of this post was to suggest something to add realism to the plugin (hence the title). The current EarthSmash catch seems “plastic” in its bland and cheap. Even with the Kuvira example you can see an AoE effect when she catches the boulder which represents a huge force stopping it; likely because she’s strong and good at what she does.

This idea isn’t suppose to resemble weakness or a canon concept but a means to make bending feel more real. Sort of a step to adding the newton laws into the plugin. The EarthSmash catch as it is now makes it feel effortless when, obviously, it wasn’t. Make it seem like you’re trying to catch it rather than just effortlessly doing something.

NickC1211

This is what I mean

I like this idea it could make it a bit more balanced. Maybe if the player shooting the earthsmash doesn't release shift this knock back effect could happen to represent them still focusing on the boulder like kuvira in the gif.

Also I made a post a bit ago about the shatter effect but it got denied :/

DanStryder

This is what I mean

I think the gif for this does this justice, I don't agree with the 2nd response. Kuvira is clearly at the top of her gain, like she has full health you could say however Korra is in a weakened state. How about this: If you have full health then knockback won't be applied to the target,if you are low health then maybe it should knock you back, dependent on how low you health is, i.e 8 hearts slight knockback, 4 hearts considerable knockback and 1 heart strong knockback.

Or as another idea, how about a scaling system based off how much you use the move? like you could level up the move, the higher level you are, th estronger the knock back, you could even just do it like vanilla mc's knockback effect and only have 3 levels of the move.

NickC1211

I think the gif for this does this justice, I don't agree with the 2nd response. Kuvira is clearly at the top of her gain, like she has full health you could say however Korra is in a weakened state. How about this: If you have full health then knockback won't be applied to the target,if you are low health then maybe it should knock you back, dependent on how low you health is, i.e 8 hearts slight knockback, 4 hearts considerable knockback and 1 heart strong knockback.

Or as another idea, how about a scaling system based off how much you use the move? like you could level up the move, the higher level you are, th estronger the knock back, you could even just do it like vanilla mc's knockback effect and only have 3 levels of the move.
I like the health idea it could be
above half health = no knockback
Below half health = knockback
Also if you have the potion effects weakness or slowness etc

Or just have it so that when you catch an earthsmash it doesn't stop automatically; it'll slow down dramatically / continue to go maybe about 3 - 4 more blocks.

No need to make this overcomplicated.

xNuminousx

All I wanted was for it to have some sort of halt feature lol. Something to make it feel like physics apply.

Just to recreate what happened to Korra in the gif would be amazing.

Or just have it so that when you catch an earthsmash it doesn't stop automatically; it'll slow down dramatically / continue to go maybe about 3 - 4 more blocks.

No need to make this overcomplicated.
That's what I suggest to Numi.
I like it but I wish it were smaller.

PS @MeskenasBoii you totally told me you'd remove yours and you never did so just saying.
I attempted, but change my mind. Too good for putting it to waste :p

The More you used, the bigger knockback it collects. Nah, that would cause unbalance issues in many corners which I don't dwelling onto "why?" question. In a nutshell, veterans would always kick ass and continue to as they kill noobs, since knockback would continue on growing..

Necro but whatever. *Will have to merge replies when I get to the computer*. I do think two scenario whenever the opposing earthbender catches on time or back and forth with a game of 'catch'.

A: If time right, the earthbender. Simple and it's already in coded.
B: If time wrong, the player should obviously get back, but the boulder shouldn't disappear immediately while its pushing the opponent. Give the opponent a chance to 'get it together' and grab it whilst still being penalized with damage&knockback since they fail to time earthbend right.